All reviews bedroom suite lovely pool young man at the front desk breakfast room basketball hoop new jersey full kitchen kitchen area visit family loved this hotel breakfast bar very nice place to stay booked rooms rooms are big extended stay pull out couch the hotel is clean
Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

Checked in on a Sunday hoping to get a quick swim. Let me start that I loves dogs just not in a public pool. 2 huge labs in the pool. It was not a dig swim and pool was still open.

Now the room. Had to change rooms. Room was filthy. Smelled. Opened the windows which were filthy. Had housekeeping Freebreeze the place. Stains on the comforter.

Called the hotel manager 3 times with no response. Police at the hotel twice.....read on unknown.

Management-ctickets. Marriott should be embarrassed.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed October 4, 2018

We stayed for one night less than a week ago. The location is literally right on Rte. 17 S, and you can enter the property via a not-well-marked "entrance ramp" right off of Rte. 17, or you can enter the property from Boroline Rd. The complex consists of several buildings with guest rooms and the main building with the reception desk and breakfast room. The main building's lobby area and lounge/breakfast room is well-kept and inviting.

I would agree with some other TA reviewers that the building where our room was situated didn't feel as nicely maintained as the lobby did. Our room ended up being a studio with a king bed and we were very pleased with the new furnishings. The decor was contemporary yet smartly designed for functionality and comfort. I liked the sectional sofa with the table that you could slide to a convenient position either beside you or actually over your lap. The TV, as with other Marriotts I've been to, is a smart TV so you can log into your Hulu, Netflix, etc. and watch from your own accounts. (The front desk assured us we'd be logged out at checkout.) The bed was comfy although the pillows weren't very supportive. There was a little kitchen although we only used the fridge for this little overnight stay. Everything in the room was clean.

The thing that would make us really hesitate to stay here again was our interactions with the staff. First off, in trying to make the reservation with a gift certificate, my husband was given wrong information about when the sales office would be available to take the reservation, necessitating him calling several different times (e.g. telling him the office would be there the next day and calling the next day and they wouldn't be there at all). Second, during our stay somebody left several garbage bags of garbage in the hall just outside of our door. I called the front desk to tell them when we got home from dinner as they had been there when we left, and the staff member said they'd send someone up to take care of it. Almost three hours later I checked and they were still out there, starting to smell. Third, the next morning at checkout I told the front desk about this and got an unsympathetic response saying that this happened because of a lack of staff at that time of night. When I countered saying that the front desk person had said they'd send someone up, she said "well they probably forgot what time it was." I said that I didn't think that was a great answer and was met by looking away with utter disregard.

I've often said that glitches happen in businesses but the real test of the quality of an operation is not as much what the mistakes were (although I do think they should have come up and picked up the garbage) but how the mistakes were handled. What would it have cost them to apologize and promise they'll follow up to ensure this wouldn't happen again for someone (and hopefully actually do it)? It's because of the staff responses that I would very much hesitate to book here again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Saddle River O, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Saddle River, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2018

Dear Anne C,
Thank you very much for your candid review of your recent stay at our hotel. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us, as we strive to improve with each and every stay. I greatly appreciate your comments about aspects of the hotel. Somewhere along the line we feel short with our front office staff. I am taking the necessary measures to correct the inconsistency of service. I hope that I can convince you to change your mind about another visit to our property. Please reach out to me directly at saddleriverfom@ih-corp.com. It would be such a pleasure to personally welcome you back to our new and improved hotel!

Kaseemah Sutton
Front Office Manager

Reviewed October 1, 2018

I travel around a lot and you come to expect a certain level of service and type of room with all the major hotel brands. I was in town this weekend for a fun even and our group stayed at the Residence Inn. The hotel was clean the staff was friendly and they had a nice morning breakfast. A special shout out to the lady that runs the breakfast. I forget her name but she was awesome. She came by to check on our table and was very friendly. Like I said. No Surprises. Good and have a nice stay.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2018

we need to stay in NJ 2 nights per week. we stayed at the residence inn for 2 nights a week from end of June until this past week. one would think that people at the desk would recognize us after the first few visits, but no, they just looked blank. each week they would give us, it seemed, the worst room in the complex. TV's wouldn't work, telephone wouldn't work, air conditioner wouldn't work. bathrooms were not quite clean, the room never felt quite clean, the hallways never felt or smelled clean. the outside wasn't quite clean. There was a broken pipe for the pool that was broken from June to end of September, still not fixed. the "free" breakfast was stale and tasteless. the front desk personnel, with the exception of one young man, were not personable or helpful. we finally made the decision to leave that place and go to the Fairfield Marriott in Paramus, which in our opinion, is 100% better.

Room tip: go elsewhere
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Saddle River O, Manager at Residence Inn Saddle River, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2018

Mamamd2015 -

Thank you for taking the time to rate your most recent experience at the Residence Inn Saddle River / Bergen County. Our team works very hard to consistently exceed our guest's expectations every stay, every stay. Given your rating it appears this was not the case.

Please know that your ratings & comments are shared with our leadership team to provide insight on our performance as well as develop action plans to improve the same.

We do hope you will once again consider staying with the Residence Inn Bergen County hotel when your travel brings you back to the area.

Reviewed August 22, 2018 via mobile

So I’ve stayed at a ton of Residence Inns, and I have to say the management of this one is weak. The door to the building I stayed in, would not regularly lock. There were signs all over asking to close the door and not prop it open, which suggested to me that they must of had problems with theft in the past. But the door itself didn’t function, no handle and when you went through you didn’t need a key to enter the building. Also the responsiveness of the service is very slow. For instance, when you call the front desk, sometimes you have to call three or five times to even get somebody to pick up the phone, and always you have to let it ring 10 times before somebody picks up the phone, then you only get a recording, but you have to listen to and wait again for human answers. Then if you make a request, for something simple missing for the room - like a spatula, chopping board, sponge, or the coffee machine in the room is missing a part so it doesn’t work, you might have to wait 12 hours and make three phone calls in order to get the items. The room lacks an oven, which lots of other Residence Inn‘s have, would be really helpful for things like frozen pizza. The dishes are in short supply, only a few bowls and three coffee mugs, so you have to run the dishwasher a lot. Also, the lobby put away the coffee at 10:30 AM, although lots of other Residence Inn’s make the coffee available all day long. Also around the corner from us, there was somebody in the supply room doing repairs who had a ton of industrial materials and tools lying all over the hallway floor and was making a ton of noise throughout the day. The property is non-smoking, but people stand right outside the doors and smoke so the stairway was filled with smoke every day, which my kids hated. Also, the set up of the property is such that there are no rooms in the main building, so you’ll have to walk outside to another building if you want to get to the breakfast, gym, laundry, or a business center. Oh yeah, it also didn’t feel like they were taking great care of the place. The main kitchen cabinet door containing all the cups and dishes was falling off it’s hinges and very hard to operate. So in short, I would hope for better management of the property, The location is nice, and Marriott is a good brand, so it has potential.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Saddle River O, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Saddle River, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2018

Dear NycDoyle,

Thank you very much for your candid review of your recent stay at our hotel. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us, as we strive to improve with each and every stay. I greatly appreciate your comments about aspects of our rooms, customer service and property. It is important to us to provide great service to all of our guest.Our main priority is to be able to offer a very well-maintained and comfortable atmosphere. I hope that I can convince you to change your mind about another visit to our property. Please reach out to me directly at saddleriverfom@hi-corp.com if you would be willing to give us a chance to turn your experience around. It would be such a pleasure to personally welcome you back to our hotel!

With much appreciation,