“BED BUGS!...otherwise, a nice place”

Holiday Inn South Plainfield - Piscataway
Frederick, Maryland
“BED BUGS!...otherwise, a nice place”
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I travel fairly frequently and this was my first experience with bed bugs. In a word, it was - and continues to be - awful! I woke up with one suspicious, itchy red mark on my wrist but really thought nothing of it. By noon, several more bite marks appeared on my hands and arms and I knew for sure this had to be a bed bug issue. While at work that same day, I got a call from the hotel saying I needed to switch rooms because ,"our system is showing the heater is not working." when I entered my old room to get my things and move them to a room two doors down, both beds in the room were stripped down to the mattress covers. Odd that they need to strip the beds to fix the heater!

The most infuriating thing was that they weren't going to tell me the real issue and I would have brought contaminated clothing into my house when I returned. When I complained about these issues, I was STILL CHARGED for the room nights in the "bug room" and only given a $20.00 discount for each night.

What all the other reviews say about this place are true, but no amount of convenience or remodeling is worth risking this experience!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Beth K
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn South Plainfield - Piscataway, responded to this review, 26 November 2011
Dear Bethk888,

I am most disappointed and concerned to read your comments. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tonawanda, New York
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel as part of a large school group. Everything was excellent. Our group had booked over 50 rooms and all were clean and comfortable. The buffet -style breakfast was fine. All in all, a good experience, and we would definitely stay there again. Notable was the very friendly front desk staff. I had some large pizza boxes that would not fit in any of the lobby garbage cans. I asked the front desk clerk where I could dispose of them, and she took them from me and told me she would take of them. Very nice touch.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Wendi4701, Manager at Holiday Inn South Plainfield - Piscataway, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Thank you for such a wonderful response! Mount St. Mary's School was a great group to deal with! The kids were so well behaved and obviously chaparones also did their part. Thank you again for your business. Feel free to call us anytime you need hotel rooms in the future!
NY Metro area
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed there when the power was out at my house. The staff is pleasant and welcoming. The rooms were neat and acceptably clean (don't do a white glove test on the edges of the carpet).

This hotel is currently being renovated and the construction crews are out by 6 pm.

I did not see any evidence of bedbugs, as had been mentioned in previous reviews.

The breakfast buffet was very good and check out was a snap. A pleasant stay and a respite from a couple of really harrowing days.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the LA fitness building toward the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Wendi4701, Manager at Holiday Inn South Plainfield - Piscataway, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
Thank you for such a positive review. We appreciate you bearing with us as we are trying to make the hotel even better by completely renovating all hotel rooms.

While we hope no more bad storms come our way, if they do, feel free to give us a call and make us your home away from home.

Thank you for your business.
Florence, CO
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Spent two nights during a business trip. Place was clean, staff was pleasant, nice breakfast set-up, including eggs cooked to order. Most important to me, decent wireless and quiet at night. I would stay again. There is a Ruby Tuesday's in the hotel and a Red Lobster next door.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The hotel is a bit old fashioned but the rooms are clean and they are well maintained. They have restaurants and shopping malls nearby making it a good place to stay as well. The staff were friendly and helped us in getting taxis and directions. The breakfast was complimentary, with limited choice but very well cooked. So, its quite a good hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Piscatway, Nj
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Hi,

I am satying in Holiday inn right now & my new HD camera is stolen from my bag today.
I don't expect this from the hotel like Holiday inn. Don't they do any background checking before hiring the employees???? Do they want to have such bad impression for their hotel?????

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This hotel is located near local and national restaurant chains, which we found convenient. Although the male desk clerk was not very welcoming when we arrived, the service got better once the new shift took over. The new clerk brought us extra sheets with a smile. The next day, we were surprised that a free breakfast buffet was set up for guests, with eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, fresh-cut fruits, a carafe of orange juice on every table, and a cheerful server who poured our coffee with a smile. When we checked out and drove about 50 miles, the front desk clerk called us to say there was a mistake on our credit card charges. She was friendly and courteous and she quickly solved the problem. This helped make up for the sour front desk clerk from the day before. The only bad aspect about this hotel is an important one: the beds. They are so hard that my wife woke up with a neck ache and I had a stiff back for days thereafter. This is a basic, nicely decorated and serviceable hotel that is clean, offers plenty of free parking, and has nicely decorated public spaces. But watch out for those beds!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Plainfield
0.2 km away
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Piscataway
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Pis...
#1 of 5 in South Plainfield
0.2 km away
Best Western The Garden Executive Hotel
Best Western The Garden Executiv...
#2 of 5 in South Plainfield
Crowne Plaza Edison
#5 of 15 in Edison
7.5 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Holiday Inn South Plainfield - Piscataway? Share your experiences!