“A simple Family Restaurant with good Portuguese Food”
Review of Otilia's Cafe

Otilia's Cafe
Ranked #2 of 28 Restaurants in Spotswood
Reviewed March 31, 2017

Great warm friendly service, the food was very good. I loved the homemade Chicken Soup. We enjoyed our main course selections of Picadinho Misto, 1/2 Chicken 1/2 Pork Combo, Chicken Madeira, Chicken in Garlic over Rice and our youngest member was thrilled with his chicken fingers and fries. We told the owner/server that our youngest member had severe nut allergies and were reassured that his selections were nut free. She also recommended a nut free dessert for him. The appetizer plate of Smoked Sausage, Salt Cod Fritters and Shrimp Patties was enjoyed by all of us. The plates are very large and we had a lot of take home containers. They have great crusty rolls and we tried two different desserts, Flan and a light Cream Cake, both were quite good. They do not serve alcohol. When I am back in this area I certainly will take my family there again for dinner.

Reviewed March 4, 2017

My daughter and her family had such great things to say about this restaurant, she couldn't wait to take me there. The food was delicious, generous portions and so fresh. The atmosphere was warm, comfortable and welcoming, I felt like I was dining with family. The service was prompt and every dish not only looked beautifully presented but was perfectly prepared. It was difficult to save room for the entree and not fill up on the appetizer. Smoked sausages, salt cod fritters and shrimp patties. The children especially loved this place. I look forward to many visits.

Reviewed February 28, 2017

We stopped in to try the new restaurant on a weekend.
We asked about specials & ordered the grilled octopus.
Just wanted a snack so thats all we ordered.
What came to the table was mostly potatoes & peppers with two tentacles of octopus & roll.
The veggies were good & the octopus was also good(we have had much better at other restaurants).
When we got the check we were shocked at the $26.00 for what we considered to be an appetizer portion.
Our big mistake was not asking the price before we ordered.
We may try them again but will ask about pricing on specials or order off the regular menu.

Reviewed November 1, 2016

Our most recent experience with Otilia's was with take out.

We got the garlic shrimp and the chicken platter. Both were delicious.

The garlic shrimp was not overly garlic-y and there were enough shrimp for 2 meals. The rice was nicely cooked and there was plenty there for 2nd helpings or 2nd meals.

We have had the chicken before, and, as in the past, it was tasty and plentiful.

Many of our friends have had recommendations from us to eat here and we will continue to go. . . . .the food is always fresh and very good.

1  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed October 24, 2016

Came and tried this place out due to all the good reviews. Like others mentioned before, this was a former fried chicken place and the decoration pretty much stayed the same except with the removal of the benched seat tables and added paintings to the wall. The night we went, there was no waitress, only the manager/owner and the chef working so it took 15 minutes just to get the menu. The kitchen was wide open so your clothes will smell like food when you leave.

Food:

Appetizer: Pasteis de Bacalhau - you get 4 smell pieces and they were just ok and doesn't have much taste to them

Entree: Picadinha with fries and rice, the pork was tasty but the fires were soggy, I believe it probably sat under a heat lamp for a while since it took a while for us to get the food
I wanted to order the beef ribs and was told they didn't have them, it was 6:30 pm in the afternoon so I ordered the Shrimp in Garlic sauce instead and the portion was big and the dish tasted ok.
A soup came with the entree, it was a chourico and Kale soup and it was delicious, best part of the meal and I think our entrees was delayed because they ran out of soup and need to make a fresh batch?

Overall it was just an ok dinning experience and I'm sure it's due to growing pain and hopefully it will work out well in time

Been to Otilia's Cafe? Share your experiences!