“Pleasant Surprise!”

Jack's Shack
Ranked #37 of 62 Restaurants in Stone Harbor
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

We had 6 people (2 kids); some people wanted lunch, some wanted breakfast, and the kids wanted Chicken Tenders, of course. Kids said chicken tenders were the “best ever” and gobbled them up.

The Stone Harbor Omelet was stuffed with a good portion crab meat, spinach and mozzarella, and I have to say it was one of the best tasting omelets I have had.

Basic breakfast plates had by others, simple but tasted good. You do need to ask for toast to be toasted well if you like toast more brown.

They have funnel cake and it was delicious as well. And you can eat it without being dive bombed by seagulls on the boardwalk.

Our Server was polite, but it was a little chaotic on the floor trying. Breakfast is only till 11:30. Nice surprise! This is NOT a breakfast place in the tradition sense. It is a pub that serves breakfast but did a good job.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed August 12, 2018

My family and I have been coming to Avalon/Stone Harbor for over a decade. We have never had a worse dining experience than tonight. We got in town, unpacked and decided to grab something relatively light. Our favorite crab cake place is no longer in business and so we decide to try Jack’s Shack based on its reviews. The service was great and though we were disappointed with the calamari appetizer (we order it frequently but had never had it in a fried processed strip before) we were pleased with the homemade fresh brewed iced tea. Two of the three of us ordered the crab cakes which came not as a crab cake as advertised but came as a luke warm crab salad. When my wife asked to change her order (she detests any type of creamy/mayonnaise salad) the cook came out and muttered words that I could barely hear that my wife and daughter took as an offense-words to the effect that she had not had a real 100% crab cake. Suffice it to say that we had eaten crab cakes at the original Crisfield’s on Georgia Avenue in Silver Springs, MD several weeks ago when we went to a concert at the Kennedy Center in DC (trust me they make excellent crab cakes). After an excruciatingly long delay my wife was given another dish. I have never written a review of any restaurant before but this dining experience was so bad I had to share it.

Date of visit: August 2018
3  Thank Charles H
Reviewed August 1, 2018 via mobile

Went to Jacks as part of a group dinner party. Our mission was to get a chicken dish for a big party in Avalon. Bottom line is we got 4 dozen wing tenders with sauces. Very moist, tender and tasty. This review is not gourmet but its a good choice for good chicken

Reviewed July 20, 2018 via mobile

Service was terribly slow, there was a piece of plastic in my soup, soda machine wasn’t working, table was dirty. Even though the food was okay, we won’t be returning. It’s a shame because it’s a neat atmosphere inside. They just need some new management to get things straight.

Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

We ordered take-out sandwiches with drinks. Fast, polite service. No wait, but it was 1:30pm on Monday. Everyone enjoyed their food - crab cake sandwich was especially good, but we had the Philly cheesesteak and a Cuban panini as well.