“No alternative”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Union
Wigan, Lancs
“No alternative”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Stayed here when my flight was delayed. Advertised in airport as airport hotel but really a 20 minute drive. Reception grotty, room even worse. Bed sheets had hair on them the bathroom was not good. Breakfast area had 2 tables and very dirty counters. Coffee and juice dispeners broken. Only good things were staff reasonably friendly and free wifi. Not sure how they manage to meet the Travelodge branding.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Rooster100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 April 2011

My mother and I had to stay here after our flight was cancelled, and it was the only place with rooms available. I wouldn't choose to stay here again, but it wasn't all bad. First the good points:

* Room was clean and very spacious
* Staff were very polite and helpful
* The room is equipped with a refrigerator and microwave, everything worked just fine

Now the bad points:

* The towels were old, thin and stained
* The breakfast was a joke. Only the cheapest cereal and breads available, and the juice machine was broken
* The breakfast area itself was dirty
* The hotel is right next to the 22 road, there are no sidewalks to get to anyplace. You have to run across the busy roads to get to stores and restaurants. There is a shuttle service that will take you places, but they charge $25 to use it!

In closing, there are definitely better places in the area to stay, and I would definitely avoid if you don't have your own vehicle.

• Stayed April 2011

Travellers are raving about these Union hotels

liverpool
Reviewed 4 February 2011

after being stranded in new york after a so called "storm" had to find somewhere to stay overnight, all other hotels really expensive and the travel lodge came up as $80, being a travel lodge i thought it would have certain standards and would at least be clean.
BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when the shuttle turned up after half an hour wait there was myself, my husband and another couple that got on, for an airport hotel it was a good 15- 20 minute drive away, although in the surrounding there were a good few descent shops.
On arriving at the hotel i realised this was going to be horrific, we checked in and paid, then were given our room key.
We should have known from the lobby just how bad it was going to be the smell hit you as soon as you opened the door, the computer screen had been written on, no sign te owner had just written on the monitor for guests not to use more than 15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!
The room:-
were do you start
* really old dated
* patio door glass had been kicked from the other side and was cracked held together with tape, with tissues lodged in the gap between the door
* chair in room covered in stains
* toilet seat had someones urine on
* carpets dirty dust every where
* half used toiletries left in the room
* the shower/ bath had stickey tape on the bottom instead of a matt!
* really dated furniture
* dead bugs behind the bed
* an old kfc box and fork underneath the bed
* dirty tissues left all over the room
* the bedding stank
* really loud noises during the middle of the night

I was pertified staying in this hotel, unable to sleep for fear.
Thankgod for another 2 english couples that also stayed there.
Realised quickly there was no point in trying to move rooms as the other two couples rooms were just as bad.
in the morning breakfast well what can i say
the night of check in we had heard the guy behind the desk clipping his toe nails and there they were on the floor!!!!!!!!!! only wish we would have seen them before we had eatin!
*choice of either rasin bran or frosties in a dispenser that looked like it had been there for years
*juice machine broken
*coffee machine broken
*to make toast you had to fan the smoke detector that was above it and went off every 2 seconds
*all plastic bowels, and plates
*no knifes to butter toast with only spoons!

i could go on and on and on but there is no point as its recommended at the airport you wouldnt even relise til you pull up
Apart from the worst nights sleep ever i also got a suvinear to go home with four bites! charming! just says it all doesnt it
avoid at all costs if you can!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarahandmike_8
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I was on my way home back to Montreal after a week long business trip to Atlanta. I had a very tight connection time in Newark and didn't end up making my flight. I grabbed the first hotel van cab I saw and it happened to be the Travelodge. Although it was a short ride from the airport, I look back and wish I had just slept on my luggage in the airport. I got to the hotel (dressed in a suit) and immediately felt uncomfortable due to the crackhead using the free computer. When i went to the reception desk it took me 10 minutes (no joke) to wake up the women behind the counter. She gave me my room key and off i went. As soon as I walked in the room I was greeted with the smell of death. That room must not have been used in years which was evident because of the rotting food in the mini fridge. I walked into the bathroom and was mortified to see piles and piles of black hair (looked like a dog was shaved in there) in the bathtub. I went back downstairs to complain. I got another room, this one a little better but equally as gross. I layed my dirty laundry on the bed and watched most of a movie (the incredible hulk) before i couldnt take it anymore and decided to leave and go back to the airport. I asked the clerk to call me a cab and an unmarked black car showed up.. I got in anyways even though it was sketchy and the $40 he demanded from me when he dropped me off in a stern mean voice... Clearly I got played here but was thrilled to be back at the airport in a clean and safe environment.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 December 2010

I have to agree with a previous comment that the good reviews must be family or staff members. The staff (except for one I think he was the owner) were very friendly and helpful. One lady was very helpful in explaining how to get into New York. She even dropped me off at the bus station. The room however was horrible. The peep hole in the door was gone and filled in with toilet paper. The towels were damp and had hair on them. I also found hair on the blankets and sheets. I was glad I had my own blanket, I slept on the end of the end of the bed scared to use their bedding. The plumbing was bad, I brushed my teeth and it took 5 minutes for the water in the sink to drain. The shower was old and falling apart. I know you get what you pay for but THIS room should have cost $10 not $69.00

• Stayed November 2010
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I had to stay here for approx 2 weeks and found this hotel to be very friendly. My room though dated was clean and bed bug free. I had no problem with the wifi or the TV at all as some of the other review writers complained about. I found the shuttle service to be invaluable and saved me more than once! I would absolutely suggest this hotel. The value for the price was excellent. It IS an older hotel and it IS dated, but for the money it is the best value I have seen anywhere in this area and I have stayed at several places around NYC.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2010

I read some of the reviews and was weary about staying here but the hotel is great. Nice clean room and close to tons of restaurants. Not much more I could ask for....

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
2.8 km away
Hilton Short Hills
Hilton Short Hills
#1 of 1 in Short Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,005 reviews

Been to Clinton Manor Hotel Union? Share your experiences!