“Not my kind of place, sorry!”

DeThomasi's Five Points Inn
Ranked #62 of 150 Restaurants in Vineland
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed December 17, 2017

My husband's pals had told him about this place, how good the pasta is, and we decided to try it out. There were lots of cars in the parking lot, and it was noisy and crowded inside. We were greeted immediately by very friendly folks, and even though we were seated in an awful location (smack in front of a large tv and next to a group where even the waitress had to push through to get to them). We noticed that a booth was in the process of being cleared, so asked to be seated there. Apparently our waitress was quite new. I guess when you dine in Vineland (don't mean to be a snob!) you shouldn't be surprised that the waitress doesn't know what Chianti is!!! We were being forgiving, considering everything, but now to the food. The bread was a very typical Shop Rite semolina with seeds, which is ok, if you like that type of thing. The salads were large chunks of iceberg -- I never buy iceberg, it has zero nutrients!-- lettuce with fat slices of cucumber, whole grape tomatoes, and "from a can" black olives. Now I hate those things, but I have to admit that my Italian mother-in-law used to buy them all the time, so for people who enjoy this type of "I won't even call it an" olive, it's fine. We were hungry, so we did eat most of the salad anyway. We ordered fried calamari for appetizer, figuring that it's a standard Italian appetizer, let's see how they do. The calamari were not rubbery, so that was good, however, the breading was not crispy, and some pieces even had uncooked gummy dough surrounding them. Also, the calamari should be drained better. However, the dipping sauce was very tasty. It was hot, temperature-wise, with chunky tomato pieces. My husband's gnocchi in marinara sauce was pretty good. My shrimp scampi, however, well -- where was the white wine? It was all oil. Although the taste was very garlicky, which I like, but it all was swimming in oil. The meal gave me indigestion, to say the least.

Reviewed December 30, 2016

My wife had the cream of crab and complained is was way too salty to finish and had barely any taste of crab. I had the corned beef and was equally disappointed with the quality and value.

Reviewed August 5, 2016 via mobile

In my opinion the best breakfast buffet in Vineland has just about everything you can think of except hot sausage and corn beef hash. And staff are very nice
and aim to please.

Reviewed September 12, 2015 via mobile

We were on our way to the shore , so we decided to go out of our regular route and have lunch. A few of our fiends recommend giving De Thomasi's a try but unfortunately we must admit it was only average .

The sausage and peppers sandwich special I ordered from the specials had no taste , I'm not sure were they get their sausage but it was very plain . I'm not a fan for chopped sausage mixed inside the sandwich as it fell out of sandwich... A no no.

The Wings were good and sauce was plenty. Also...The French onion soup my wife ordered was average.

The service wasn't that bad but I'm not "shore" we will reroute our drive to revisit.

1  Thank EXPLORE1968
Reviewed July 7, 2015

First of all, I must temper this review by saying that I have great nostalgic memories of this place from my childhood. Of course, it wasn't owned by the DeThomasi's and it was a bit more... rustic in the mid-1960's, but it was still a blast from my past, so my review may not be objective, but I'll try. I have been looking for this place for over 40 years. My parents and I went to Wildwood Crest every summer and my old man would stop at the Five Points Inn on the way there. As A kid I thought it looked like a Wild West tavern right out of the Cowboy movies. Made of wood, the long bar with round tables all around the expansive interior. I loved it and couldn't wait to go every year. Today it's a bit more sophisticated and doesn't look like tat anymore and has been renovated and expanded extensively. But go inside and you still see a restaurant/bar from a bygone day. The service was very good, the bar menu is large and had something for everyone and the food is excellent. We had the pizza on my trip down memory lane and it was awesome. An ice cold exported beer from the tap and my fianceé had the house Chardonnay. Excellent. Look. Does the place need another face-lift? Yes. But the service, food and drinks are exceptional in this out of the way oasis on the way to the shore. Listen. Don't mess with my memories. You'll like it already.

Been to DeThomasi's Five Points Inn? Share your experiences!