See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 26, 2015

Obtaining a booking seemed easy at first but turned into a continued harassment from the hotel staff. I booked via telephone since I received no answer to my online booking request. I was then assured that the room was booked and I could pay upon arrival and they will just send a confirmation via email. Never got confirmation so phoned again a week later to hear that they will book the room and send confirmation. After that I had at least three calls requesting my email address (already provided twice before). Then I received another call to please pay the full amount (still no invoice). Finally I received a crappy email with a invoice attached that did not even start with a greeting, instructions or anything else. Paid the invoice but should have known better.

Upon arrival we checked in, I first had to explain that yes I have booked and I have paid via eft. This went fairly quickly but alas, not ten minutes later a knock on my door required me to PROVE that I have paid. Since I never received confirmation after I sent proof of payment, this was a difficult task. And of course... the receptionist could not even read e-mail so it was a futile attempt asking her to just check the confirmation in their inbox. She finally agreed to "trust" me and let us stay the night. Never requested me to show proof of payment again so hopefully that is at least sorted out somehow on its own.

The room itself was clean, had working air-conditioning and our TV was in proper functioning order. For the price, this was not a bad deal and we've had a lot worse in previous experiences. My biggest complaint was that the room did not have dark drapes so the sun in the mornings lites up the place like a spotlight. Not bad usually but since we were on holiday we wanted to sleep in a bit and this was simply not an option with the light curtains. Wanted to take an afternoon nap on the Sunday but the staff sitting outside in the garden were having a blast chatting and shouting to each other from the various benches stationed there. This noise continued until well after nightfall.

Restaurant as previously reviewed is not really "open" and any other food place is quite far away so be prepared for that. The breakfast is served promptly in the morning, but at the price it really is not worth it. Just go somewhere else where you will be served the same at a cheaper rate.

Room Tip: The full blast of the sun rising makes the middle rooms instantly hot as well as bright. Ask for a room in either the left or the right structures to avoid this problem. Skip breakfast, it is hugely overpriced, drive down to the Wimpy and eat there
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Perscrutator
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We were disappointed with the room. We requested a double room but were given a triple self catering room. Nothing like the picture on web site. Bathroom was horrible and old. Also not told it was on first floor. No lift.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane B
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had the misfortune to stay at Arborpark Lodge recently. Upon arriving, we were shown into our rooms, and the lights were out. They had tripped off. I had to reset the trip switch to reset the lights in our rooms. Thank goodness the switchboard was in my room. Having just traveled from Johannesburg and arriving at 6.30pm, I wanted nothing more than to have a meal and relax. I was then informed that the restaurant that they advertise does not open if they have less than 10 guests. We then went out and got a meal, returned and settled down to relax and watch TV. What a surprise, only SS1 and SS2, not the SABC1, SABC2, SABC3, ETv, MovieMagic 1, MovieMagic 2, MNet and SuperSport 1, that they advertise. I then discovered that I could have a bedside light or TV, but not both at the same time.

The next morning I went and complained at reception very nicely to the manageress explaining the problems, and was promised that it would all be sorted out during the course of the day. After a hard days work, I returned to the "lodge" only to discover that the lights were still tripping off, I now only had ONE TV channel, and my toilet paper had not been restocked. The lady at reception then phoned the manageress and she informed me that she had somebody in and they had assured her that all was well. It was clear that she had not bothered to check, and our rooms were never checked before we checked in!

If I had not prepaid and was not in the mood to fight for a refund (as I may have completely lost it), I would have left right then. We were eventually moved to other rooms, which meant having to repack and move our luggage. I certainly would not recommend staying at this facility, and will not be staying there when next I visit Tzaneen. The lack of service is appalling!

Rooms need to be checked before guests check-in, and complaints must be dealt with immediately. Simple!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business