All reviews country kitchen merlot room richard branson wine tasting our honeymoon cap classique welcome drink hotel restaurant complimentary mini bar main restaurant stunning views cape town stunning hotel hotel guests overlooking the valley cellar tour fine dining
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After a few days of safari in East Africa, we were looking forward to a slower pace of travel and some Rest and Relaxation. As we got to the last part of our African Adventure, I’m so glad we planned to spend some some in the winelands near Cape Town, South Africa. Part of Virgin Limited Edition, Sir Richard Branson’s collection of unique retreats and luxury hotels Mont Rochelle Franschhoek is a stunning property located in the most beautiful part of South Africa in the Western Cape.
All of the bedrooms feature king size beds that are convertible into twins and a living area – ours had a pretty balcony overlooking the gazebo and the 100 acre garden. We had a lovey en-suite bathroom with heated floors, marble counter, big rain-head showers, dual vanities and Africology products. The mini-bar was stocked with sodas and drinks and we also had a complimentary selection of refreshments all included in the room.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
VirginLimitedEdition, General Manager at Mont Rochelle, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Priya V,

We are also so glad that you chose to spend some time relaxing in the winelands, because it was a pleasure to welcome you to Mont Rochelle! The whole team really enjoyed reading this review and hearing how much you enjoyed the views and your room during your stay. We do hope that it won’t be too long before your next African adventure as we would love the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed October 27, 2018

We loved this hotel so much we ended up extending our stay for an extra 2 nights and we are so glad we did.

We received a friendly welcome and after a welcome drink we where shown to our room that they kindly upgraded and gave us a tour of the property. The room is lovely and lots of thought had clearly gone into it. The view from the super comfortable bed was beautiful.

The wine tasting was lovely and some of the best wines we tried in Franschoek - particularly the Miko white. The lady who assisted us with the tasting was super friendly and knowledgable (unfortunately I have forgotten her name) but she is a real asset to the hotel.

The food at Miko restaurant was amazing, perfectly seasoned and super fresh. The service was excellent and we really enjoyed eating here for both breakfast and dinner.

The thing we loved above all at the hotel was the staff. Everybody had a smile on their face the whole time. Shandre who served us at breakfast was such a lovely person always making sure we got everything we needed, even little boxes of pastries to take on the day we left. Samson was incredibly helpful and has incredibly great customer service skills always making sure we where happy with our food and drinks. Peter at reception was always so happy and friendly with a smile on his face, Mont Rochelle is lucky to have all three of these staff members.

I must comment on the tennis court too, it has one of the most amazing views I have ever seen.

We hope to revisit some day!

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
VirginLimitedEdition, General Manager at Mont Rochelle, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2018

Dear Newmie01,

Thank you for taking the time to share such an amazing review. The whole team really enjoyed reading your comments about your room, the food and the wines. However, I have to say it was your feedback about the team that really made us smile. Peter, Samson and Shandre were delighted that they all received a special mention, and on a personal note I have to agree that we are very lucky to have such wonderful, smiley people on our team! We were so pleased to hear that you hope to revisit one day, because we’d love to welcome you back for a game of tennis and a glass of wine. We only hope we won’t have to wait too long.

Reviewed October 25, 2018

Start of by saying, this was the best hotel my family and I have ever stayed in! We had just come from Cape Town on our South Africa road trip. We had just arrived and the staff were there to meet us by the door to take in our luggage and offer us a drink. We first stayed in the bar for a drink looking out over the lush, green mountains. The rooms were so lovely done, spacious and just beautiful. There were free shuttle rides taking guests down into the town as the hotel was on the outskirts but in walking distance from the town market and shops. We ate at the restaurant all of our three nights and was decent food. The staff were extremely pro-active, especially Peter who was very friendly and caring. If you are coming to Franschoek you need to stay here!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Dear RichardFlintie,

I don’t think we could ask for a bigger compliment than hearing that you thought we were the best hotel you ever stayed in, thank you! I was particularly pleased to hear how much you enjoyed meeting Peter and the rest of the Mont Rochelle family, maybe I’m biased but I do think we have a very special team so it’s always lovely to hear from guests who agree. Thank you for your feedback on the rooms, food and for your kind recommendation. We hope we might welcome you and the family back to Mont Rochelle one day in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 21, 2018 via mobile

The lavish property in quaint Franschhoek belongs to Richard Branson . We were here for coffee just as we were ending our private tour .

The magnificent place swept us off our feet :- the understated elegance and decor , the spectacular views , Bloom the cat curled on one side of the restaurant overlooking the hills , what a life !

The tarrif is steep , but to sit here on the veranda with a coffee in our hands , pondering on life , looking at the mountain range, and the view : ah! What a life , indeed .
Must visit - for coffee , atleast if In Franschhoek!

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
VirginLimitedEdition, General Manager at Mont Rochelle, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2018

Dear rhythmb2016,

We really enjoyed reading your ‘magnificent’ review and hearing that Mont Rochelle made such an impression on you, thank you. We have to agree that Blom has quite the life here snoozing against the mountain backdrop; taking it all in with a coffee is a good alternative for us humans! Thank you for recommending us as a ‘must visit’, it really means a lot and we only hope that you might be back to see us again one day. Perhaps we can tempt you to stay a little longer next time!

Reviewed October 20, 2018

We had booked to stay here for two nights and it looked idyllic on the website. I had booked a massage for my husband for after we arrived but when I telephoned to advise we might be a little late as we were stuck in traffic, it transpired that they had got our booking for the massage but not the booking for our two night stay, which I had made directly with the hotel. Luckily I had a copy of the email confirmation which I was able to show them on arrival. They only had a room available for the first night of our stay but I have to say they handled it really well although to be fair we didn't make a fuss as there wasn't really a lot we could do!!! They had booked us into a hotel nearby - Leeu Estates (see separate review) so we decided to stay at Mont Rochelle for the first night and move to Leeu for the second although in retrospect, having been to Leeu, we would have preferred to stay at Leeu for two nights. Mont Rochelle was fine - nothing terrible about it, but very expensive for what it was. They seemed to struggle with service and whilst everybody was very helpful, they weren't particularly efficient! Food again - not awful, but nothing special and the buffet element of breakfast was rather lacking. Overall, really nothing special and certainly not worth the money. Please note that this would have been the review even if they hadn't lost our booking.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank celialogin
VirginLimitedEdition, General Manager at Mont Rochelle, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2018

Dear Celialogin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your experience with us earlier this year. Whilst I was pleased to hear that Elizma and the team went some way towards making amends for the confusion with your booking, I was really sorry to read that we fell short of your expectations overall. It certainly does not sound as though you experienced the level of service we usually pride ourselves on, so I can only apologise for this and hope that we might have the opportunity for a second-chance one day. If you’d like to chat about your feedback in more detail then please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me directly using the details below.