See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed December 30, 2016 via mobile

Easy location for our need to stay one night in the Somerset West area. Comfortable and quaint. Friendly staff who did all they could to make us happy.
The pub looked interesting but we didn't have time to explore. Maybe next time.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2016 via mobile

Was booked into accommodation by my employer.
Have stayed in several places in the local area.
Accommodation average and serves it's purpose.
I don't have anything negative to say about the accommodation.
Food was enjoyable, however, lunch packs need attention. Given steak and chips, not quite suitable for consumption without a knife and fork, no drinks provided. A polystyrene box!!! I go away a lot and get a lot of lunch packs, but, non that has been so bland.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Simon D, Owner at Somerset Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2016

Dear 'Jeff the hangman',

Thank you for your review which we welcome. We hope to make everyone's stay pleasant and enjoyable and where possible go the extra mile over and above providing B&B. I am glad the food was enjoyable as we pride ourselves on personalized home cooked fare. At the time the booking was made we were asked if we could give cash kick-backs instead of meals and we said we could not and said that your company needed to provide cash for meals. Your company policy is not to give cash so we were asked about lunch packs. I explained we serve meals in the restaurant but for take aways we suggested sandwiches, fruits and a cool drink which was within the budget provided for. We were indeed surprised to have orders for steak and chips as take aways. I admit we are not a fast food take away operation. A choice of drinks was offered and only one of your group came to collect them. When the order was placed my wife rushed out to get take away boxes for this unique order. I appreciate your feedback and take cognizance that services over and above the norm need more finite clarification.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 7, 2016

We stayed at this lovely and quaint B&B Guest house, we had a very lovely and welcoming host "David" , he was friendly, attentive and made our stay enjoyable if only for 1 night. We stayed in the Clifton room, a bit small but all the necessities 1 could ask for, great value for money and comfortable place to stay or stop over in. We had a braai for supper, we went to buy our meet at the spar down the road with some salads and david set us up with a cute little portable braai, next to the pool, this was a great evening.

Stayed: August 2016
2  Thank justin s
Reviewed May 17, 2016

I just visited the pub. This place look like a nice English pub, but in fact it is a smoky place where just locals are welcome. I visited this place occasionally, but stopped now because of the rudeness of the lady manager and the bar personell that changed every few months. Not recommended for people that do not want to be pushed aside by locals and the personnel.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends

Dear Johan,
The pub is indeed a nice English style pub. Guests and locals have enjoyed it for years. My manager has run the business for 12 years and has not changed and my bar staff have been with me for 6 years. As the owner I understand that alcohol and reason are not the best of bedfellows. Our motto in the pub has always been "be nice or go home" so I am sorry that you felt the locals and staff pushed you aside. Thank you for your feedback

Reviewed April 3, 2016

I have stayed for two nights and I have really enjoyed my stay. The staff was very friendly and my stay there was like home away from home. The food is excellent and I can recommend this lodge to anyone

Stayed: March 2016

Dear Chris,
Thank you for the positive feedback. My staff really appreciate the compliments and coming from a guest rather than a pat on the back from their boss it is that much more significant. Thank you.