“Quick beer & snack”

The Old Bridge Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #62 of 127 Restaurants in Somerset West
Price range: US$3 - US$15
Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

Great local pub and restaurant. Conveniently situated in the middle of Somerset West. Situated on the Lourensford river.

Reviewed 28 April 2017

Drink plenty alcohol so you can stomach the food ... not the place you would like to take your date . Rugby matches tend to get full and it's smoky inside ...

Reviewed 26 February 2017

Whenever in Somerset West ( approx 3X p.a. ) I enjoy visiting the tavern & like brunch / lunch outside under the huge trees; next to the river with a view of the old stone bridge -- the wild squirrels "stealing tit-bits" also being an added attraction. However .. this return visit was disappointing! Service ( lunch ) was extremely "slow & tacky" despite the outside area having minimal guests! Our waitress explained that "she was new" & knew NOTHING!!! Being in the hotel industry myself ... "it's, in my opinion, mngt's responsibility to train / orientate ( at least!! )" new service personnel. We ordered a carafe of "house wine" (Du Toit's Kloof Sav Blanc ) & received a Pinotage!!. The branded "Bridge Salad" -- a "wanna-be chicken Caesar salad" (a past favourite of mine at this eatery) has certainly "shrunk" in portion size (R81.00) ... disappointing! The "Old Bridge" has very recently been restored to it's former glory & is most attractive... but surely mngt can arrange to have the litter under the bridge ( and on their river bank) removed as it's quite unsightly for guests. And btw ... where are the squirrels? Not one to be seen!!! Parking has also become quite an "issue" & we were there on an average weekday! Mngt needs to address several issues before I'll return. What could easily be a "magic" scenario eatery ... oooh ... for the obvious lack of effective mngt!

Reviewed 12 February 2017

We had very good vetkoek and carvery on different occasions here. I was not impressed with the pizza's.

Reviewed 25 September 2016

We booked Sunday lunch for 4 adults. On enquiring about beers on tap from Peter (the waiter), while he was rambled off a list of option, I thought he was joking but the joke was on me as they apparently have 17 different beers on tap! Confused by the sudden overflow of making a decision on 17 beers, I settled for a Heineken and wasn't disappointed. We all ordered the Sunday Carvery and it arrived promptly before we finished our first round of drinks. We enjoyed the food while Floris (musician) was playing a guitar and sung an array of yesteryear favourites. The carvery was R67-00 for roast meat, roast potatoes, Kentucky style fried chicken, vegetables and savoury rice. A very generous serving and very tasty, worth every sent. The service was excellent and the prices, atmosphere and outside seating area under the trees was good. With the ambiance and the old stone bridge in the back ground, you didn't even realise you were sitting in the city right next to a busy road. Overall a very, very pleasant experience. Thank you! We will definitely be back. Did I mention they have 17 beers on tap?