“Great location, beautiful property and rooms, but some issues”

The Colony Hotel Bali
Ranked #3 of 107 Seminyak B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location, beautiful property and rooms, but some issues”
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I just spent six nights at the hotel. It is in a great location (just steps from luxury, 5 star hotels like the Oberoi, Legian, and across the street from the Seminyak). It's also within walking distance to Ku De Ta, Potato Head, La Lucciola, and very close to all the shopping and "restaurant row" (and very close to the path direct to Seminyak Square that avoids the road!). The hotel is beautiful (I will attach pics to this review when I get home), but is definitely not "Balinese" style if that's what you're looking for. The breakfast is fantastic (made to order, both Western and Indonesian options), and served right by the beautiful pool. The rooms are really nice (I stayed in both a deluxe room and junior suite during my stay) with very comfortable beds, large bathroom (no tub, but a rain shower), flat screen TV's with lots of Western channels. The junior suite (room 3) had a covered balcony with a couch and chairs as well which was really nice.

The service is outstanding - all the staff is very attentive and they're constantly maintaining the property. I was there during low season however (at any given point during my stay, there was only a maximum of 4 rooms occupied out of 20), which maybe allowed the staff to be more attentive? On that note, here are the only issues I had related to my stay:

1) I locked in 4 nights ahead of time. Since it was low season, I should have only locked in 1 night and negotiated the rest. My last two nights (in a suite!) were cheaper than what I had locked in previously since I told them I was shopping around because I was extending my stay. Note that all the hotels were at partial occupancy (I looked at a lot) so it's fairly easy to bargain.
2) There's no need to book transportation through the hotel - a taxi will be absolutely cheaper (and they're everywhere). I booked a car from the airport and it was $20 - I later found out a taxi would have only been about $8. Also, if you're headed to Ubud next, you can negotiate with a taxi for about 150,000R (the hotel quoted me 280,000R!).
3) Finally, beware of the exchange rate they use when you check out! Even though the USD/Rupiah rate was about $1USD/8,950R, they used 9,300 per dollar which meant I paid about $30 more than I expected (although the invoice is in USD, they multiply the total by this obnoxious exchange rate and charge that amount to your card). I tried arguing, but they wouldn't have it and said this is the rate when "buying dollars" (even though that has absolutely nothing to do with the transaction!!).

At the end of the day, I do think it's a good value for the location and the quality of the property. Personally, however, the issues I had at check-out left me with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth so I'm not sure I would stay there again if I return.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the pool (except for the superior ones in the back I think). Since it's a sm...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank RioTraveler103

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 February 2012

A friend and I went to stay at the Colony for a few days over her birthday last week and we had the most brilliant time. It's located excellently, very close to good food places and both Potato Head and Ku de Ta, but slightly set back from the road and far enough from the shopping hub of Seminyak to feel like a real retreat. Aesthetically it's gorgeous and last but not least the staff are totally fab. This isn't uncommon praise in Bali, but on this occasion both staff and owners stood out as being genuinely nice, fun, good humoured, happily helpful people. Thanks to them for making our stay a great one and I look forward to coming back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank JujuP261
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I end up staying at the Colony hotel since it was a last minute reservation and most of the nice hotel in Seminyak were full. I must say Wow! I didn't know what to expect from that hotel but from the welcoming at the cosi reception to the white layout of the place, I knew it will be a nice stay.

This boutique hotel consists of 26 rooms with a pool in the center that is enough to cool off and swimming too.

I stayed in the room 25 close from the reception, breakfast area and I was scare that it might be noisy but it wasn't.

The room is spacious enough, very cleaned, I didnt spend much time in the room, but the layout was well organized with a desk a small sofa, television, and i like the bathroom, with nice shower and hot water.

The staff is very friendly, and helpful.

The breakfast by the pool is awesome, they propose to complete a document for your breakfast with classic options, juice coffee tea danish toast , american breakfast, asian breakfast.

The location is unique in the heart of seminyak 15 minutes of KDTA and Potato Head.

During our stay my went to eat at Sardines, Mama San and Potato Head that are nice places to hang out.

I had the sunset at the bar of Semaya hotel which is located just on the other side of the street from the colony.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 5 January 2012

"Only 20 rooms and no under 16s allowed. Sounds like a swingers hotel." the girlfriend joked.
But that got me thinking, what if it was? My beautiful, tanned, slim girlfriend would doubtless be the pick of the bunch, but with my pale, pasty English skin and awkward demeanour I'd be lucky to get chosen at all. Fortunately for me, The Colony Hotel isn't a swingers joint, but a great little boutique hotel instead.

The reception is small and modest, but the friendly staff immediately make you feel welcome and provide a very welcome cool watermelon juice.

The 20, Colonial style rooms are all based around a central, 16 metre pool just big enough for swimming, but better for simply cooling off in.

Our room, the 'Deluxe' room was a cool oasis away from the heat outside. A decent size, with lots of cooling white and tiled floors. Spotlessly clean with an extremely comfy, luxurious, crisp white sheeted bed, so large I actually lost the girlfriend on more than one occasion. The bathroom too, was a generous size, with a great shower and big fluffy white towels, only slightly whiter than me.

The impressive breakfast at the dainty poolside bar is pretty good value for money. You choose from a selection of: juices, tea or coffee, fresh fruit, toast or pastries, and a decent cooked breakfast from the ever smiling chef.

In fact, all the staff all staff are lovely. Very friendly, obliging, sweet and always smiling.

Whilst the hotel itself is not directly on the beach, it is literally across the road from it.

This really is a very nice, very quiet and relaxing boutique hotel. I'd definitely stay here again and would throughly recommend it, whether you're a swinger or not.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Ivor_Ploughmans
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 22 December 2011

The Colony hotel is located in the heart of Seminyak, only 10 minutes walk away from the infamous Ku De Ta.

It's brand new so everything is pristine white and so clean! The bedrooms have a homely feel and are clean and comfortable. Such good Value for the price!

I think it would be perfect to rent out with a bunch of friends; it's a small intimate hotel, so if you rent out a few rooms, it would feel like you had the whole place to yourself.

Sea Circus Restaurant is right next door to the hotel and is perfect for cheap lunches and dinners when you don't feel like going out.

The service was amazing, everyone always has a big smile on their face and I appreciate The Colony's efforts in supporting Charity over the Christmas Season, asking for donations for The Bali Kids Foundation.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Mibby_mobby
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I recently spent 4 weeks at the Colony while I was working in Bali. I couldnt have asked for a better place to stay. From the wonderfully cold fridges in the room, nothing beats a nice cold champagne or beer after a day out working in the hot sun !!! To the fantastic breakfast and lunches by the pool. The chicken and coleslaw sandwiches are to die for ! Fast and reliable wifi - free. Jari Menari coming to the hotel to massage - the best massages in Bali come to you. The beautiful new and clean rooms with fantastic bathroom ameneties , and the wonderful staff who go out of there way to help you. All this with probably the best location on the Island, right in between the best restaurants and shopping. Regardless if I am working or on Holiday I will never stay anywhere else. The Colony is now my home away from home.

Room Tip: The Junior suites have either an outside balcony or an inside lounge sitting area for those that pre...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Relle8
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I loved this place, will return in a few days again. Its a tranquil oasis smack in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Seminyak with its crazy traffic and noise. Everything is clean, well kept and shiny, from the rooms to the pool area. The pool is gorgeous! Perfect place to unwind a few days before you head out for more adventures around Bali. Or if you like to hang out at KuDeTa for sunset drinks, then this place is great, only a 3 min walk away.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends