I just spent six nights at the hotel. It is in a great location (just steps from luxury, 5 star hotels like the Oberoi, Legian, and across the street from the Seminyak). It's also within walking distance to Ku De Ta, Potato Head, La Lucciola, and very close to all the shopping and "restaurant row" (and very close to the path direct to Seminyak Square that avoids the road!). The hotel is beautiful (I will attach pics to this review when I get home), but is definitely not "Balinese" style if that's what you're looking for. The breakfast is fantastic (made to order, both Western and Indonesian options), and served right by the beautiful pool. The rooms are really nice (I stayed in both a deluxe room and junior suite during my stay) with very comfortable beds, large bathroom (no tub, but a rain shower), flat screen TV's with lots of Western channels. The junior suite (room 3) had a covered balcony with a couch and chairs as well which was really nice.
The service is outstanding - all the staff is very attentive and they're constantly maintaining the property. I was there during low season however (at any given point during my stay, there was only a maximum of 4 rooms occupied out of 20), which maybe allowed the staff to be more attentive? On that note, here are the only issues I had related to my stay:
1) I locked in 4 nights ahead of time. Since it was low season, I should have only locked in 1 night and negotiated the rest. My last two nights (in a suite!) were cheaper than what I had locked in previously since I told them I was shopping around because I was extending my stay. Note that all the hotels were at partial occupancy (I looked at a lot) so it's fairly easy to bargain.
2) There's no need to book transportation through the hotel - a taxi will be absolutely cheaper (and they're everywhere). I booked a car from the airport and it was $20 - I later found out a taxi would have only been about $8. Also, if you're headed to Ubud next, you can negotiate with a taxi for about 150,000R (the hotel quoted me 280,000R!).
3) Finally, beware of the exchange rate they use when you check out! Even though the USD/Rupiah rate was about $1USD/8,950R, they used 9,300 per dollar which meant I paid about $30 more than I expected (although the invoice is in USD, they multiply the total by this obnoxious exchange rate and charge that amount to your card). I tried arguing, but they wouldn't have it and said this is the rate when "buying dollars" (even though that has absolutely nothing to do with the transaction!!).
At the end of the day, I do think it's a good value for the location and the quality of the property. Personally, however, the issues I had at check-out left me with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth so I'm not sure I would stay there again if I return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Colony Hotel Bali is located in the heart of Seminyak and within walking distance to all the fun and leading places that creates your perfect Bali boutique hotel vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity.ca, Expedia and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Colony Hotel Bali reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Colony Hotel Bali Seminyak