“Fantastic Stay”

The Ulin Villas & Spa
Ranked #3 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We stayed at the Ulin Villa's for 8 nights in April. As a family of 4 with 2 children 5 & 11 I was a little bit worried that the kids would be bored in a villa as we usually opt for resort style accommodation with all the kids clubs etc. We were picked up for the airport and greeted with cold drinks and cold towels which was lovely and in about 1/2 an hour arrived at our destination. We were warmly greeted by reception staff and taken to our villa and a staff member went through all the ins and outs of the villa. The kids were so excited the villa is very big and a great size pool everything was immaculate and I don't think the website pictures actually do the place justice as I thought it looked older in the pictures then it does in the flesh.
Breakfast was cooked and served every morning in the villa and the staff very friendly and prompt each morning, there is a wide selection to choose from but sometimes the breakfasts were a bit hit and miss but all in all we quiet enjoyed it and it beat making our own. There is also an extensive dine in menu for all day dinning and this was very reasonably priced and we used it most evenings for the kids dinner and they enjoyed all the meals. The staff at the villa were extremely obliging and could not do enough for you the car service for around the local area was fantastic and I think only once in our 8 night stay there was not a car available. We used the spa service 4 times and the massages were great and the ambiance was also fantastic. Our package also included a in villa barbecue with was lovely all decorated the kids loved it the only thing is it was way to much food and we felt a little guilty letting so much food go to waste. Location wise it was fantastic just down the lane from Ultimo so close to great restaurants and nice shopping the beach if you dare is an easy 10 minute walk away but not worth it, it is absolutely filthy would not even think about swimming in it, all I can say is I am glad I didn't spend the money on accommodation on the beach I would have been highly disappointed. We had a baby sitter come each day so my husband and myself could have afternoon massages and eat dinner at a nice restaurant, she was great we did not get her through the villa's she was recommended to me through a friend she spoke great english and would even swim with the kids so this made our holiday even more so relaxing.
All in all we were extremely happy with our stay and the only negatives I can think of and the are minor is the lighting in the rooms is not great and the hair dryer is quiet pathetic if you had thick hair and wanted to dry it quick I think it would do your head in. Also it would have been nice if the coffee shop were in operation I don't think they use it.
I would not hesitate in recommending these villa's to any one we had a great time.

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 11 which is a 2 bedroom villa very quiet
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Shiregal
winawan, General Manager at The Ulin Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2012

Dear “Shiregal”

I am very delighted to read that you loved your stay and to know that your children too. We sincerely thank you for taking your valued time to write a very extensive review and share your experience to other tripadvisor members. We were honored that you have chosen The Ulin Villas as a place to stay on your most recent holiday. The villa is indeed beautiful and also the private pool that was exactly yours. I highly value your comments on the lighting and i would be very happy take this on our project list. Thank you very much for your review and see you again on your future visit to Bali.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 8 April 2012

the ulin villas were very nice, but i do think a little overpriced when compared to other villas.
the pool was beautiful and the garden lovely. i do think the breakfast was not great, we ended up eating out.
the bed was way to hard! they did try to soften the mattress with a matress protector (about 3mm thick which was useless.
overall staff were very helpful. the position is fantastic for restaurants and shopping. overall very quite which is a big plus.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank sharryn h

Dear “sharrynh_12”

We wish to thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very happy to read that you loved your private pool very much, the garden and our staff that were very helpful. Please allow me to explain further about our rate policy. All of our rates and promotions should include tax, service charge and high season sure charge (during high seasons). Other villas/hotels may charge all of those extras separately. Our aim is to present clear rate policy and we fully understand what matter most is how much you will have to pay at the end. Thank you very much and we look forward to welcoming you again to The Ulin Villas and Spa.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed there for 10 nights with another couple. The bedrooms are separate villas within a private compound, the beds are very comfortable, the ensuite bathroom is gorgeous with a huge sunken bath and showers have great pressure and are hot!. The grounds are lovely and the pool was an edge pool, which was cool and refreshing even on the hottest days. Ideal location, up the lane way from Ultimos. The staff superb, could not do enough for us whilst allowing us privacy. The little extras like complimentary mini bar, afternoon tea and just how nothing was too much trouble for the staff made our stay very relaxing and enjoyable. The in villa dining is excellent, staff not just bring dinner, they set the table and served us just like at a restaurant but with the relaxed atmosphere of being at home. Our villa was not available for late check out so we were provided a 1 bedroom villa for the day at no cost (we left at 7pm). The day spa is value for money and though not a great variety available in facials it was extremely relaxing. Would stay there again and highly recommended to all

1  Thank DoonaBali

Dear “DoonaBali”

We sincerly appreciate you have choosen The Ulin Villas and Spa as a prefered place to stay for your10 days of your last holiday in Bali. I am thrilled to read that your stay was extremelly relaxing and enjoyable. I am also delighted to know that the friendliness of our team members and the level of service performed made your stay even more enjoyable. The daily breakfast is available at anytime our guest would love to and the in-villa dining available for lunch or dinner. I am happy to find you loved it too. We are excited and look forward to seeing you again at The Ulin Villas and Spa.

Warmest regards from all here,

Reviewed 3 April 2012

My new wife and I stayed here in March for five days for our honeymoon. We had the honeymoon package, which included a five course meal, massage, breakfast, wine on arrival and basically being treated like a prince and princess during the entire stay. I cannot say enough the facilities. The villa itself was pristine, the private pool was amazing, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was great, everything was spotless and refreshed daily. They gave us three pillows of varying firmnesses which was great. It also had a full kitchen so making coffee at our leisure and storing our purchased ice cream treats was easy. the mini bar was always stocked and included beer, soft drinks and snacks. We had everything on the breakfast menu at some point during our stay and enjoyed the food. The fruit was always fresh and delicious and the cook that came to our room was great. We are both foodies and would say that the breakfasts were akin to moms home cooking.
The other thing about this small villa accommodation is the privacy. We could have been anywhere and no where, but only 300 m from the main street in seminyak, 20 minutes walk if you dare, to the beach. Close to some amazing restaurants (dont miss Ku De Ta or The Breeze at the Samaya for some world class food) and Kuta. We really enjoyed the privacy and spent most of the time in the villa or spa, which bring me to my next point
the spa here is AWESOME, we've had lots of massages and spa treatments in the past, but this spa set itself apart, from the amazing ginger tea, to the super friendly staff, to the mad low prices, we went every single day, I think the staff thought we were nuts!
The best thing was the star treatment that we had, nothing was too small or menial, the receptionists were lovely and helpful and their recommendations were perfect for dinners and visits.
So overall, this villa, with great staff, amazing facilities and awesome atmosphere, if we could live here, we definitely would!
This is the only place i have ever stayed were i cannot really find anything negative so say, I usually try to make at least one suggestion, but these people have done it perfectly!

Room Tip: we stayed in 5, but i reckon all of the spa villas are the same and awesome!

Dear “busy65”

It was a pleasure having you stay with us on your recent honeymoon in Bali, we were honored. We wish to thank you for taking your valued time to write your review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the every part of your stay, from the beauty of the villa (and of course the private pool), the in villa breakfast which was always freshly served, our signature 100 candles candle light dinner, our prime location “just steps away from eat street” and the level of service presented by our team members. I am also delighted to find that you loved the Spa so much and I agree with you that the spa is something everyone should try. We really look forward to welcoming you again on your future Bali visit.

Happy days,

Reviewed 30 March 2012

The Ulin Villas looked exactly the same as the pictures seen on TripAdvisor. This is testament to the efforts the staff make to unsure that the villas are spick and span, giving all guests a positive experience. We loved the villa and its privacy, it was well maintained and contained almost everything you would ever need for your stay. There is also a complimentary mini-bar with snacks to boot. Tea time is also offered on the house which was a nice touch. The staff were exceptionally friendly, efficient and prompt.

The location of Ulin was also a plus point. There is food available just 2 minutes walk from Ulin, it is a little far from the beach but we did not venture much as the villa was just too inviting. Mosquitoes were not an issue for us as we come from a similar climate anyway. In any case, the staff are on hand to set up mosquito coils when it got dark.

We had an interesting experience as we stayed over on Nyepi day. The whole place was silent and serene. Surprisingly, we enjoyed it and are considering making another visit over Nyepi.

Ulin has plenty of positives and we will likely return. But the big negative of our stay there was the food. After eating a full day of room service on Nyepi, the night before Nyepi and on every morning of our 3 night stay, we can conclude that the food leaves a lot to be desired. It is a nice touch to have the staff cook breakfast in our villa but the quality of the food is just not on par with the other aspects of Ulin. The room service and candlelight dinner we equally sub-par if not worse than breakfast.

Food however should be the least of your concerns at Ulin, with good food joints like Ultimo at your doorstep I can't imagine why anyone would want to be confined to room service if they had a choice. Ulin is fantastic, just give the hotel food a miss.

Room Tip: We had a villa nearer to the reception which lessened the walk we had to make as there are some room...

Dear “BenL839”

Please allow me to thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your most recent stay at The Ulin Villas and Spa to tripadvsior.com members. I am very delighted to hear that you loved the privacy and the villa which fitted and come with your every possible expectations. I am also happy to note your high credit over our team members that were exceptionally friendly, efficient and prompt. Nyepi Day is one of the most unique Balinese tradition and culture. Nyepi literally means “silent”, we are happy to know that you enjoyed the special day as much as we did. We sincerely thank you for your feedback on the foods. We are in the middle of revising our list of breakfast and also the in-villa dining which we do hope would cater better to every individual preferences. Once again thank you very much for your review and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Cheers,

Reviewed 25 March 2012

The Villas were very private, which is fantastic, we practically swam and slept the whole day
The gardens were simple and clean with a large pool which is great.The staff were always very helpful and responsive, which is very pleasant but excellent customer service is being proactive - not reactive towards your client's needs.
Location is nice, close to nice shops and restaurants, but still very quiet.

We loved the rooms and the four poster bed. Simply furnished. However 2 huge negatives for us:

1) the food, breakfast (included) and dinner (candlelight) and anything on the menu actually were really poor and tasteless. I have informed the manager who is extremely courteous and capable - people travel to Bali to taste Balinese cuisine, we get hamburgers and sandwiches at home.

2) we booked from 21st Mar 2012 to 24th Mar 2012. As it was our first visit to Bali, the hotel could actually inform us that they will be celebrating their new year (Nyepi Day) prior to us paying our confirmation and booking our flights as we had contacted them before October 2011.Due to this, we had no choice but to come on the dates arranged initially, half our tours were ruined as the whole place comes to a standstill a couple of days before Nyepi. So if you are travelling to Bali, find out when Nyepi falls as it changes every year.

Nyepi is good if you want to experience the festival, bad if you want to travel around Bali and shop.

Overall a dissapointing trip - the villas were everything expected, but the service and food was not :(

Overall, too pricey, a good/average rating at it's best.
Stayed 21st March 2012 to 24th March 2012, travelled with spouse

5  Thank Shankarii
winawan, General Manager at The Ulin Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear “Shankarii”

Thank you very much for taking your valued time to write your review of your most recent stay. It was also a pleasure meeting once during your stay. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and loved our villas very much. Nyepi Day is one of a rare opportunity to experience Bali’s unique celebration. Nyepi literally means “silent” where no traffic is allowed (there was no even flight in and out Bali) and no guest is allowed go out of the hotel premises while you can do anything inside. Most guests enjoyed their time upon Nyepi day where I understand may become a turn-off to some. We did have an announcement on our “essential information about it”. We also value your suggestions to have local dishes on our menu. We loved to know that you loved the “ayam betutu” made by Ngurah our chef. Once again thank you very much for your review and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 21 March 2012

It's hard to believe places like this exist. We originally did not book at Ulin, however upon arrival at another villa we were told they were at capacity and could not accommodate us. The other villa made arrangements for us to stay at Ulin for 3 nights before we moved back to the original hotel, and it was the best thing that could have happened! Not once were we treated like "comped" guests or felt like Ulin was doing the other property a "favor" by taking us in. We didn't want to leave and tried spending the rest of our stay in Seminyak there!

The grounds of the room were incredible. I write grounds because in addition to the bedroom and sitting room, each room had a private outdoor space equipped with a lap pool, massage hut, outdoor dining room, outdoor kitchen. It was all very spacious.

Every morning someone would come to our room to make us breakfast. We had a great massage at the spa. Our room received great sunlight and at night the pool was lined with candles. Very romantic!

The property is centrally located and within walking distance of shops and restaurants. The public beach was a little far, however there is shuttle service to drop you off and we took a leisurely walk back through town. Another option is going to a beach club and camping out there for the day. I would recommend doing that because the experience is a little more enjoyable on a sunbed with umbrella - which are hard to come by on the public beach.

My favorite part about Ulin was the outdoor bathroom. Shower, tub and toilet are all outside (but under cover). While this may be a turn-off for some who are not as comfortable with nature, we love being outdoors and thought it was so different and unique.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank steveNlaureNsnoop

Dear “Laurmingo”

We wish to thank you for your review at tripadvisor.com. I am very pleased to hear that you loved your stay very much and to read that you did not want to leave. Our villas offer luxury living space, probably one of the largest of it kinds, with lush tropical garden and friendly non intrusive service. I do hope you will book directly for your future trip, not because other villas you booked suddenly in full capacity without notice. We are excited and very much look forward to welcoming you again.

With warm regards from all here,