“Ulin Exceeds expections AGAIN!!”

The Ulin Villas & Spa
Ranked #3 of 149 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 25 October 2009

This holiday we travelled as a group of 6 adults and booked a 3 bedroom Villa. From the gardeners, spa staff, housekeeping to reception every staff member was friendly with no request too difficult. The villas and grounds are immaculate. We were completely blown away by the decorations they surprised us with when my husband was celebrating his birthday. Ulin Villas are perfectly located close to excellent restaurants, shops and markets. Reception staff organised scooters for us to hire with no extra cost added on. They were are great way to get around. They even loaned us their personal helmets when we weren't keen on the hire ones. Going to Ulin this time was like coming home to old friends...and it was only our second visit. This place will not dissappoint.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 October 2009

We were holidaying with a 14mth old baby and my reason for choosing the Ulin was that they provide a pool fence as I knew that without this it would have not been a holiday. Every request was there on arrival, the cot, mozzie net, microwave, highchair all the necessities needed to make life with a toddler easy.

A lot of villas I have stayed in before do not give you the extra luxury of an a/c living room, which never bothered me before but was lovely to have when your baby is asleep in the other room and for a break from the heat and a quiet moment for them with a dvd.

The staff were fantastic I would highly recommend the villa and plan to return soon, next time our choosing a villa will be made easy.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Pattybelle40
Reviewed 19 October 2009

Fantastic! But beware of moneychangers in this area which give very high exchange rate.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Villas in Bali are a dime a dozen - and most, because of strong competition, try to keep abreast with the most current amenites and luxuries that savvy travellers have come to expect. I guess for me, luxuries should be hygiene in any villa in Bali worth its salt. In that department, The Ulin lacks nothing by any measure.

The pleasures of a Balinese villa does not stop at just its amenities and features (there's only so much any villa can offer) but it is more about just how well they are managed and run. One might have all the smart conveniences and luxuries in his villa but if basic upkeep, maintenance and service fail, the experience is as good as ruined. This is where The Ulin is many cuts above the rest. The Ulin may not be the newest kid on the block, but its villas certainly look and feel new, quite evidently attributed to how efficiently its run.

Further powering the argument for The Ulin is its unfaltering service with its very obliging staff. It is also the general willingness of its staff to go that extra mile to make one's stay just that bit more comfortable. You will find those trades quite apparent from its front desk staff right down to its gardeners and handymen. Perhaps such degrees of hospitality are natural to the Balinese. If it is, then The Ulin has proven it beyond a hint of a doubt.

Beyond the trappings of modern creature comforts are nice sprinklings and accents of Balinese inspiration in its villas. Each villa comes with generous space and open grounds that ensconce a decent sized pool. And if the villa is aging, it really isn't showing. Great location. Far away from the noise, but near enough to the best establishments and attractions along Legian beach. The beach is near enough by foot and great restaurants are a pebble's toss from The Ulin.

I'd only be selfish if I didn't recommend this gem of a find in Bali. All I ask is that we continue to keep The Ulin the way it is - Pristine, comfortable and beautiful.

Ben Chew
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

• Stayed: April 2009
1  Thank EarthenNomad
Reviewed 3 October 2009

We arrived into Bali at 2:00am AEST and were delayed even further by long queues and really slow staff. This wasn't the start I was looking for but once we were out of the airport everything started looking up.

We were greeted by a driver from Ulin who gave us cold towels and chilled water while he whisked us to Ulin in the airconditioned car. Once we arrived our bags were taken to the villa while we completed a very fast check-in, and were then shown to the villa and given a quick tour. As soon as we opened the gate we were blown away. We had seen the pictures and thought we knew what to expect, but the reality was beyond all expectations. Even at 3am we found the energy to sit quietly and take it all in before retiring to our four-poster to get some rest.

The next day we awoke, ordered breakfast which arrived promptly and was freshly prepared in the villa while we watched from the bigger than expected pool. We ate, swam some more and very quickly decided we had made the right decision. As hard as we tried we couldn't find anything wrong with the place.

Our experience continued for just under 2 weeks without change - it was perfect. Everything I asked for was taken care of, from restaurant reservations to tours and tips on culture, shopping and language. The complimentary car service never failed, the staff never stopped smiling and the service never failed to impress. The whole stay was a highlight, but we were particularly blown away by the in-villa complimentary BBQ dinner - it was very close to the best food we had on the island.

For more on the food front, the location of Ulin catered perfectly for us. We would walk out of the villas and down to 'eat street' seminyak in less than a few minutes, where we found everything from traditional balinese to great Italian, Spanish and Greek. We simply couldn't ask for more. When we did want to explore eating further afield however, we just asked for lift from the villas and it was taken care of.

Away from the villa I experienced a Bali I didn't expect. I had somehow created an image of it being full of drunken Aussie yobbos, but apart from one afternoon in Kuta where I came across a bar filled with them watching the footy - why go to Bali to watch footy - I saw a really cool place where you can go and relax and not be hassled by anyone. I think this is largely because we stayed in Seminyak, but even our almost daily ventures into Legian and Kuta were fun. We're going back.

I know that there are likely to be other villas that provide a good service but I have no reason to look. The location, staff, service, cleanliness, food, price and privacy of Ulin Villas, are perfect. Some would say it is too far from the beach, but this didn't bother us at all as we weren't interested in going to the beach anyway. Why bother swimming in a pretty foul ocean when you have your very own beautiful pool?

I'm looking at the question below where I'm typing which asks, "would you recommend this hotel to a friend?", and I'm torn. If I recommend it maybe it will fill up and I won't get in next year! So don't go there, it's awful! Seriously though, don't look further than Ulin Villas if you want to relax in the peace and quiet (we didn't hear another guest the entire time) and be pampered.

Have fun!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Droftim
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Very impressive and a remarkable personal touch ! As a traveler,my expectation is on the balance-scale of your ultimate excellent services ! Without the extra smile from your hotel's staff it's downturn and boring , it's no return visit ! Please keep the good traits of your service image constantly then, I will say to myself and friends : We shall return !

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 September 2009

It is one of the unforgetten stays in my life. I stayed at the Ulin togather with my wife and kids and enjoyed it very much. The hotel loction is away from the crowed. The design of the villas is a mix between the local design and the full comfort. I have traveled so many places and over 25 countries in the world, and the staff here were some of the kindest I have ever met in my life. My wife and kids are insisting that we spend the next vacation in the same place.
I also had a personal bad experience when my little baby got a fever over the last night of my stay. The staff were very kind to help me to go to the nearest hospital and the hotel manager visited m personaly at the hospital to insure my kid's safety. This is something that you may not find any other place in the world!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family