This was the second time we stayed at The Kayana. We did not write a review for our first stay which was in August of 2011 but felt it was important to do so this second time. Although the location is convenient, in the heart of Seminyak, the roads surrounding The Kayana and its proximity to the new W and Potato Head, means that they cannot control the sanitation and hygiene levels of the hotel nor the noise pollution.
On our first stay in August 2011, our family had a rat problem in our room ( room 823). The first morning, I found some funny teeth marks on the apple that the hotel had placed in the fruit ubasket. I didn't think much of it but mentioned to my husband that it was odd how our little boy had taken a bite of the apple and put it back on the dish. The second night, we were rudely awaken by a funny rustling noise. We got out of bed to check the noise but couldn't find anything. We got up at least 3 times to check the rustling noise but could not figure out what it was. I seriously thought we were being robbed! The next morning, we found that the dessert we had brought back from dinner was half eaten and the box was torn apart. There was no doubt, the apple and the dessert was chewed up by a rat. We figured since next to our room was a small bridge/overpass and the sanitation of the area is not guaranteed with all the construction going on, it was not an unusual situation. I would also like to mention now that we did not sleep properly for two days as the first night, Potato Head had a huge party and the thumping from the music went on until 3 am!
Although my husband and myself were understanding of how such a situation can arise, we were in shock with the response we received from its management staff, or more correctly, the lack of
response from its top management even after we had requested to see the general manager. It was not til a couple of days later that the sales manager came to see us with an apology. After much negotiaion, they finally agreed to make up for the ruined 2 nights of sleep. But still no visit or phone call from its GM which has led us to believe that the rat and the noise must be pretty normal occurrences! We finally met the GM on our last day (6th day of our stay). In Hong Kong, if something like this happened, top management would be on top of this straightaway.
Although we were not happy with how their management staff handled the situation, we found that overall, the service staff were helpful, warm and welcoming. The rooms are comfortable but in need of a little attention ie lots of stains on the upholstery, old bath towels, furniture looked a bit used. Cleanliness of bathroom and outdoor space could be improved. Especially with the sanitation standards in the area, the outdoor space needs to be well maintained which wasn't. They didn't empty the outdoor bin and the outdoor dining table in the room had food stuck on the surface. Shuttle service around the area is great. Spa is mediocre but expensive. Food is not up to standard. Would not eat the breakfast items with ham or sausage.
We returned this April and decided to stay 5 nights at The Kayana and 3 nights at The Samaya. We had 2 comp nights from our problems during the first stay in a pool villa and decided to try their 2 bed villa to give our kids more space. We were in room 826 pool villa. The traffic noise was unbelievable. It kept our kids up at night and woke them up early in the morning. The 2 bed villa was great as the outdoor area with a larger pool is really nice. But unfortunately marred by a couple of cock roach problems, which again, we believe is a result of this location, too close to main road.
In the end we did not go to The Samaya as we went to check out the renovation and we were appalled by the progress of it. We asked The Kayana front staff if it was possible for our family to stay there for our last three nights. They agreed after a big mixup ie they told us they had space and then they came back the next day and said there wasn't any space. In the end, We gave them another 3 nights revenue totalling over uS$1000! We asked if they could include a spa treatment and their sales manager, Mr Nanda Gazali, did not get back to us even after we requested for him to give us a call. Very odd, after all we were spending a fair amount of money with them given all the problems we had experienced. We were told by the front staff, he was very busy and couldn't see us. Then we requested to see the GM and similarly, no response.
Since top management do not value their clientele nor their opinions, we can't see how this hotel can continue to do well especially given the location problems they are already experiencing.
We will not be coming back to The Kayana and would not recommend this property if sanitation, cleanliness and peace of mind (it's hard getting away from the traffic and Potato Head) are priorities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kayana is the one of the preferred villas in Seminyak, boasting a reputation for quality accommodation at agreeable rates. The 24 separate villas are positioned just off a winding pathway, flanked with Frangipani trees and tropical foliage. Surrounded by pristine gardens and rich in the rewards that fresh open air brings, a stay at The Kayana offers guests total privacy and tranquility. The Deluxe Villas is featuring a plunge pool as well as an outdoor dining and lounge area. Moving further, each unit of their Pool Villas is featuring a spacious 28sqm pool with outdoor dining and lounge area with pristine gardens. All of the 24 private villas is stocked with double canopy king size bed, air condition, wireless connection, safe deposit box, a plasma TV, buggy car and many more The Kayana is situated close to Potato Head, Huu Bar, Kudeta and surrounded by good restaurants and boutiques. Just 15 minutes by walking to public beach and 20 minutes by walking to Seminyak center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Travelocity.ca, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Kayana Bali reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Kayana Bali Hotel Seminyak
- Kayana Bali Seminyak
- Kayana Bali Hotel Seminyak
- The Kayana Bali Seminyak