“Good service, good sized room and large bed” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Donald Paul Apartelle

Donald Paul Apartelle
Ranked #56 of 89 Angeles City B&B and Inns
London
“Good service, good sized room and large bed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Stayed two nights in March 2012. Only a five minute walk to the night life of the main strip, which means it is reasonably quiet and one can sleep!
Stayed in a room on the second floor at the front (no lifts - I think there is one for the rooms at the back of the hotel, where there is another floor). Room was fine, large king sized bed, clean bathroom. Bed linen was clean but a bit worn. On returning after a walk in the afternoon, we found that the bathroom had flooded, so they moved us to the adjacent room.
Advertises a swimming pool, but it is more of a large bath! Can't be more than 5 metres long.
Staff helpful and friendly. No complaints and, for the price, I would recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Makati, Rizal, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

The first time i stayed at the DPA the room on the ground floor was very spacious. It had a split type air con, a flat TV and had all the basic amenities.

I returned back. on Jan 29 and was really disgusted with the room they gave me. There was no towel, the air con was under powered, the flush of the toilet didn't work and the toilet bowl was a few inches above the floor. Next morning upon checking out i Complained to the front desk and the guy listened to me like I was talking to a wall.
'
I dont know why some people go into business which they don't excel in

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ashok M

Travellers are raving about these Angeles City hotels

Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

Well I felt obliged to leave a review after seeing the two quite bad reviews posted here. Whilst I sympathise with the guy who had his phone stolen, I think its basic common sense to have valuables locked away in your bag. Nobody is going to slit open a bag or break a padlock to get at valuables. But if you leave them lying around in most parts of the world, temptation leads to theft!!

Anyway my experience of the hotel was pretty good. Didnt have anything go missing! Nice clean rooms and bathroom/toilet was of a good standard too. Staff were very friendly, especially the girls at the front desk. There is a lift (so not sure what the previous reviewer was on about either). The food from the restaurant was good, although service a little slack, par for the course in this part of the world too.

Rooms have different themes, I stayed in a "USA" themed room....ie eagle on the sheets, flag etc. Something different!

Overall, a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kummzy
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

There are positives things to say so I'll start with them first. I had a room on the 3rd floor, no elevator of course. It was at the end of the hall. The room had a secret door which had a lock, but it led to a place that was a little shady. It was hallway with a spiral staircase that I assume led to the roof. It didn't seem very secure. The air-conditioning worked fine, and once the staff found the batteries for the 13 inch TV, it worked fine and had plenty of channels. Because of a late booking, 1700 Peso without breakfast, the room had 2 twin beds that were pushed together. So the beds had a gap in the middle. The room was narrow, so I didn't see the need to have 2 singles instead of 1 queen or king. There wasn't enought room to puch the beds apart if you wanted to. Sheets were thin but functional. The place seemed a bit old so it had that traditional smell that the managers try to cover up with air freshener. It didn't work so well.

The key was an electronic key card, so you could carry it around. I much prefer that than leaving a key with guard at the hotel or the front desk.

The bathroom was a good size and the shower had one of those electric heaters. You have to adjust it just right to get hot water. there was no safe or closet to store valuables. When I was leaving, I saw about a dozen safes in the managers office, so maybe they will upgrade.

Distance wise, it was about a 10 minute walk to Fields Avenue. Not bad, but after a night of drinking, it's probably best to take a trike back. You have to walk about a block to get to the guys with the trikes. There aren't many lights in the area, so walking by yourself didn't always seem comfortable.

One more positive about the area, about 3 or 4 building down from the hotel was a very nice casual restaurant. It had a varity of western and Italian dishes. Proabaly had a few local dishes but I don't recall it or the name. It was a pleasant surprise. Price averaged about 8 - 10 USD for a meal. San Miguel was 50 peso.

The hotel did give 2 free bottles of water, but my room did not have a fridge. Some rooms do though.

The thing I didn't like was they charged us 1000 peso for a taxi to Clark airport at 9am. The last time I was in Angeles they charged us 300 for the ride, and this was at 3 in the morning.

Also the light switch for the room was by the door. There was a small lamp by the bed, but it didn't do the job. It's annoying to have to get up to get some proper lighting. The room has no windows.

With a bit of upgrading safes, cabinets, paint, better lighting, this hotel has some good potential. So consider your options carefully.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

this was a good place to stay,but the american owner sold it to a malayasian ,the new owner is never on site,and the place went down hill from there.the manager and cleaners were fired a month before i got there..because people were missing things in there rooms.it seem like everyone has a master key for my room,the maids,manger,rest of the staff.i was put in the third room because of air con.problems in the first two.I didnt like the bottom floor,i went out for a few mintues to pick up landry.when i came back to the room my window was unlocked.this happen twice,and i made sure it was locked the first time. because looking out the window is the cleaners storage room.anyway i talked to the manager and left to manila.i dont know if i was missing money,because i didnt count before i left.but i think when i came back fast ,they had no time. but im going back for a week .. but its like that in most hotels in angeles just keep and eye on your money.safer to keep it on you then in hotel room or there safes

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank p q
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

If you're visiting Angeles City, please beware of staying at the Donald Paul Apartelle(B-3 Surla Street, Balibago) because there are thieves about. Here's how the scam operates: My girlfriend and I were met at Angeles Airport by a man who asked if I had a hotel or not. I told him we hadn't whereupon he told us that he could take us to a nice hotel for around 1200 pesos a night, with discounts for longer stays. I pondered a while, and then spied a long queue of people. I asked the man what they were queuing for, and he replied that they were Filipinos waiting for the jeepney to take them to the Dau, or bus station. I found his response a little troubling because it appeared that he was trying to get me to dissuade me from taking the jeepney in favour of his mini-bus/van, which he said would cost 500 baht to the hotel. Anyway, after a short conflab with the mrs, we decided to jump in the van and head for the hotel.(Note: At this point the man hadn't told us the name of the hotel.)

Upon arrival at the hotel, we handed over the 500 pesos - the driver asked for a tip - and we checked in. We were given a room, and everything appeared fine. Three days later I checked my backpack and found that my mobile phone was gone. At first, I was incredulous, checking every nook and cranny in the room, but the phone wasn't there. Someone had stolen it. Immediately I rushed downstairs to inform the front desk manager about the incident, but all he would did was take out a contract I'd signed which said in small print that the hotel would not be responsible for losses. I was angered by his indifferent reaction, arguing that I hadn't paid to stay in this hotel simply to be robbed! He wouldn't listen, and it appeared to me that he might be covering something up. This hunch was reinforced when I asked him to call the police, but was reluctant to do it. I insisted, telling him that if this case escalated, one of the first questions I'd be asked later was why I didn't call the police. Begrudgingly, he picked up the phone and called the police. Shortly thereafter the police came over and asked a few routine questions, and their suspicions fell upon my Filipina g/f, whom they assumed was a pilfering bar girl. When I told them that we were a "fixture" and she was a reliable and trustworthy companion, they cast a cynical glance at one another.(There were 2 policemen and the manager in attendance.)

After the police left and did nothing and the manager also did nothing, I reflected upon the fact that when I'm staying in a hotel I'm paying for the security of myself and my possessions. If not, why not just sleep on the street? The next day I went to visit the Tourist Police, and from them I got a much better response. They came with me en masse to the Donald Paul Hotel and interviewed all relevant staff. Finally I filled out a report and the Tourist Police decided to prosecute two cleaners and the manager who were the only ones who had access to my room. Following two mediation sessions at the local Barangay, which went no where, the case went legal. To cut a long story short, I've filled in all the paperwork, taken the pledge of allegiance, met with my lawyer(surprisingly legal services were provided for me free of charge), and submitted my claims to the court, as has the lawyer for the three defendants at the Donald Paul Hotel. I'm now waiting to here if the Investigating Prosecutor has enough evidence to send the case to the big court.

The scam seems to start at the airport, where innocent tourists are brought to the hotel like lambs to the slaughter. Obviously this is an inside job because at an outward glance, the security at the hotel seems good. During the mediation sessions at the Barangay, the officials informed all involved that there had been numerous complaints lodged against this hotel by tourists, but none had stayed around long enough to prosecute . . . until I arrived on the scene that is. Angeles City is full of thieves and you'd be wise to stay vigilant. I believe it is the bars on Field's Avenue that are paying for the Tourist Police. And do you know why? Because there have been so many thefts that the bars got together and made a decision that something would have to be done otherwise business would suffer. So, good on the bars for throwing some money towards improving the law and order of the town. It's great going out to Field's for the night, but the neon dream turns into a nightmare when you later realise that you've lost a passport or credit cards or cash to the nimble fingers of a professional gang of thieves.

Beware of this hotel . . and stay vigilant.

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple