“"A happy place!"”

Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort
Ranked #20 of 107 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I went to Freedomland for 3 nights earlier this month and had a blast. Peter, who owns this place together with Rita, is one of the nicest and most helpful guys you might meet all over Vietnam. About the creation of Freedomland he told me: "I wanted to create a happy place!" And in my opinion he did.
The bungalows are all built by natural materials like wood, bamboo or stone. I had the banana bungalow (30 $/night) which was quite spacious and included my own open-air-bathroom including a huge shower. Cold water only, but honestly, it is too warm in Phu Quoc for having a hot shower... Most of the bungalows offer a private bathroom, but I saw they have a few cheaper ones that offer a communal bathroom, so do not hesitate to ask. Moreover, the bungalow featured a terrace on which you can relax in a hammock.
All bungalows are settled nicely among the huge trees and are so distant from each other that you can enjoy a private athmosphere which I found to be a rare thing in Vietnam. The only thing they do not offer is a sea view. Freedomland is a 20-minutes walk from the white beach. Honestly, before booking it I hesitated because actually I wanted some beachside bungalows, but I did not regret it a minute when I stayed at Freedomland.
To me, the special thing about it apart from the nice natural bungalows is the athmosphere. First of all, Peter and his staff really go out of their way to feel well-cared for. Different from most hotels and guesthouses I got to know within 3 weeks in Vietnam so far, you are not a "number" there, but they know each guest. (By the way, strangers and visitors are not allowed at Freedomland so I felt really safe there.) Each of the staff at Freedomland was friendlier than you could imagine. While their service was among the most professional I ever got all over Asia, it was never impersional and their smiles just seemed to be honest.
This created a very friendly and relaxing athmosphere to which the guests added perfectly. While the newest issue of Lonely Planet called the communal athmosphere at Freedomland "hippie", it is not a place for boozing drug-seeking party travellers. The other guests were a mixture of single backpackers who just want to get to know the country, friends and couples, and families. When I stayed there there even was a couple with a baby who enjoyed the peacefulness of the place.
You easily get to know the other travellers in the communal area where you can have a drink or something to eat all day long, or just hang out and read in the sofas, so it is a perfect place also for solo travellers. The highlight of each day, however, is dinner at Freedomland. For quite a reasonable price they offer a multi-course-meal each night which all guests always attended while I was there, simply because you cannot get better food anywhere on the island. The staff at Freedomland start preparing dinner around noon - and then it is served at a long table under the trees and stars. Guests usually gathered a bit earlier, having an awesome cocktail or just some nice cold beers, so even if you are travelling solo, you get in contact with all the others easily. At 7 o'clock the long table will be filled with food. One day we had Vietnamese-mediterranean food creations like in a five-star-restaurant; the other day they showed up with a massive barbeque buffet including anything from seafood to different kinds of meat and vegetables; the third day we had lots of different typical foods from Vietnam, like spring rolls that were the best I ever had in my life, and other stuff, e. g. we had to "roll" some kind of vegetable-omelette-rolls ourselves which was great fun. I enjoyed every single part of all meals there and nobody, really nobody left the long table hungry.
So if you prefer this kind of holiday to staying at a concrete hotel block, and if you like a communicative and relaxed athmosphere, you will love Freedomland. Unfortunately Vietnam has started to turn Phu Quoc gradually into a second kind of Phuket with huge hotels and whatever could destroy a peaceful island, but at the moment it is still a beautiful green island with heaps of deserted beaches and some fishing villages to be discovered, e. g. by motorbike which I learned to ride there as well.
By the way, some might fear insects there. Yes of course, you sleep in quite an airy wooden bungalow under the trees, and you have an open-air-bathroom, so there might be some natural life. But for example I did not see any creepy creatures like huge spiders or cockroaches during the three days I stayed there (different from some city hotels), and the bungalows are kept very clean so they do not specifically attrackt animal guests. Unless you are not absolutely insectophobic, you should not fear this too much. There can be some insects or other wildlife as well, but the place is not bursting with unwanted visitors. If you do not store food in your bungalow you should be fine.
A last word to the booking procedure: Emails were always answered friendly and immediately, and before you get a chance to book you are extensively informed about the place so you know what you would be booking beforehand.
Thumbs up to Peter and his crew - they've done an excellent job. My Vietnam trip has come to an end now and the days at Freedomland were the most relaxing and joyful ones I had all over my holidays!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Roland_1981
There are newer reviews for Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Recommend staying at Freedomland. Stayed for 5 days the food was great, company great and the owners could not of been more helpful

Whatever you do try and get Peter to sort out the boat trip and try the sea orchin's AMAZING!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Freedom land is a little oasis owned by a very special couple! I stayed here in November with a few friends and stayed in 3 separate bungalows. We planned to stay for 3 nights but added a few nights b/c we loved it so much. Peter and his wife Rita were lovely laid back hosts but were helpful in anyway needed.....ie when I left my iPhone there when I left for the airport he passed it on to another guest to give to me who was leaving for the airport an hour later!
Motor bikes were easily available although they were a little rickety they got us around pretty well. The road are treacherous in many area so you need to be very carful on the motor bikes.
Peter and his staff cooked up gourmet meals every night, you let them knowin the am if you will be join (about$12US). You sit with other guests at communal table. The food was amazing with an beautiful presentations....course after course wonderful.
The rooms are very bare. It you don't really spend much time there so you don't need much....fans work well to keep you cool at night. Electricity occasionally goes out at about 6pm for under an hours. They have flashlights....no heated water so showers are a little cool but it's all part of this truly Eco friendly resort. The wifi works great in all the communal areas....a few couches, hammocks, big table and covered area with low table, pillows and seats for lounging.
Peter will also take you for a day trip boat ride that is fun and a bit of an adventure....you can see Cambodia from the boat.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My friend and I stayed at Freedomland for 4 nights in early April 2012.

The great: Rita and Peter; friendly, competent staff; wonderfully planned layout with bungalows surrounding the central office and kitchen; delicious options for breakfast and lunch; over the top wonderful dinners that you will want to photograph and savor; and opportunities to meet and get to know the other travelers.

The totally fine: the road to Freedomland can get muddy (it rained each night when we were there, which was wonderfully sleep inducing), but it is not bad and probably keeps some travelers away, which is fine by me; while not right on the beach, it is not far away (10 to 15 min walk) and I found it good to walk off a bit of the good and plentiful food I had been eating; the bungalows are not sealed off from the outside -- so we did share the room with a very large snail, fronts, geckos, a bat, biting ants (not bad -- just startling), and 1,000s of mosquitoes. Be sure to bring your bug spray if you want to avoid a lot of bites. Although the process of putting deet on top of suntan lotion and mixed into my perspiration became a bit tedious, I can appreciate that they do not spray their grounds with noxious chemicals.

Overall, our experience was great.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Freedomland is an incredibly special place - we absolutely loved staying here. First though, we were apprehensive about our stay because we were worried it was a bit hippy-like with the communal dinners etc. If you're having similar thoughts don't worry, it's not like that at all. It is very sociable though, everyone eating dinner round a long table under fairylights. We met some great people.

The food is out of this world. Peter is worthy of a michelin star in our opinion - we eat out regularly in London and yet this guy topped most places! It's about 15 USD for dinner, but that's 5 courses plus a glass of Dalat wine. Incredible value.

Peter and Rita are great hosts. Peter organised us motorbike tours and gave us his advice on where to go around the island. Even when we moved on to another hotel (booked in advance, otherwise we wouldn't have left!) Peter helped us with taxis and invited us back to eat with them.

Only minus point is the electricity goes off ocasionally and in Blue bungalow the lighting was quite dim in the evening so once the sun had set it was quite hard to put make up on etc. Also if you don't like bugs it probably isnt the place for you as the bungalows are quite open. We had no major horror stories though, and we didn't see a single spider whilst we were there! The worst thing was a wasp or two and some mosquitos. We shared our bathroom with a rather large lizard but it was quite fun. Make sure you bring insect repellant.

The beach is a 15 minute walk away. You can go and watch the sun set over a cocktail at Bo Resort.

Van Hi's bar and cocktails are great too, there's one on special every evening.

Freedomland made our trip to Vietnam and if we ever get to come back we wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We are a family of 4 who recently stayed in the Sunset bungalow for 4 nights, this was one of the highlights of our two week trip through Cambodia and Vietnam. Peter made us so welcome from the outset and by the end of our stay it felt like we were leaving good friends behind. The bungalows are clean if a little basic, but this is what you expect as they do not class themselves as a hotel, however the food and company of other travellers far exceeds anything we have experienced and can put top London restaurants to shame. We enjoyed course after course of the most amazing cuisine and had a barbecue on our last night which was a feast to behold. Thanks to Peter, Rita and his wonderful team of staff - we will be back!

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Quite frankly, it is almost impossible to describe how amazing this place is.
Beautifully set, fancy decorated wooden huts in the middle of the jungle and yet very close to quaint and quiet ong lang beach (if you want to avoid the hassle of long beach)...
Freedomland is just the perfect location to fuel up, especially if you've done the standard tourist trail from north to south. it couldn't be anymore chilled and the amazing staff do their utmost to take care of their guests.
one thing that really needs to be pointed out is the amazing cuisine at freedomland. it is by far the finest of asian-european crossover cuisine I have ever indulged in...all based on inspirations fromt the far-travelled Vietnamese-Portugese owner couple. we had an incredible course menu consisting mainly of the most delightful seafood I had in the whole my stay in Vietnam. BBQ nights, Pizza and cooking class are also regularly on. And since dinner is communal, it's a superb opportunity to meet other travellers and have a beer or two.
In short: if pure relaxtion and remotenness is what you're after, there's no way of getting round staying at freedomland!
and it all comes at incredibly fare rates..almost to good to be true!

and by the way, unlike the odd travel guide suggests, it's not aimed at hippies...;-)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends