See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I didn't give this the lowest rating because there were two good staff people (out of 30 or more). Fortunately, they were at the front desk. We also stayed in a room virtually on the beach with the sound of waves lapping at night and no, I repeat no loud European/american/Vietnamese music blaring from some idiotic beach bar, which you could find further North. This is an important point about our room as I could walk right out our door and 10 meters away begin to enter the water and snorkle to a tiny reef with 8 species of fish swimming about and very few people or noises to bother us. The down side was $50./night for a low quality room (these rates were consistent through out PQ however). This place is 30 + years old and was probably one of the original resorts on the island for well to do North Vietnamese government tourists and has slowly faded since. The owner is waiting to sell the place thus there is no need to refurb or to train service personnel. I also speak Vietnamese a bit and I would not recommend this place for non unless you want a classic poor service in Vietnam experience.

Room Tip: Get a room at the baech.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank jarasta
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Do NOT stay here under any circumstance!
This place was absolutely terrible in all aspects of service, amenities, cleanliness and facilities.

We stayed there 4 nights and was booked as part of our tour package. Not a day went by where we or someone else on our tour didn't have an issue.

When we arrived, the aircon didn't work. They fixed it, however it broke down again around midnight, leaving us with a hot and restless night. We complained yet again the next morning, and it took them most of the day to fix (lucklily we were out and about for that day).

A similar issue occured with some other people on our tour. They were a young couple with a 4 month old baby and the elderly grandma. Theirs stopped working for a whole day and night before it was fixed, leaving them in the heat.

The 2nd afternoon the drain in the bathroom was blocked and the water was backing up. We told reception and someone went to look at it and came out saying it was fixed. That night it was blocked again (still?). We complained again, and again they sent someone and we were told it was fixed. Then the following day, it was blocked yet again. All in all, it was blocked and we complained about 3-4 times. The final time, they didn't even bother sending anyone to look at it and never got back to us.

Cleanliness is a real issue at this so called "resort". 2 members of our tour group were bitten multiple times by bed bugs. Mosquitoes we expect, but BED BUGS?? Another one of our friends woke up to find a large spider crawling on his stomach.
Our room was not cleaned once during our stay, despite us putting the "please make up room" sign on our door. We never got new sheets for the bed, and with the bathroom drain backing up continously, it was not a very clean or pleasant stay at all.

Service is very poor. Despite a few of them speaking a level of English, don't expect anything to be done in a timely manner (or sometimes at all!). In addition to all the problems above, we found it almost impossible to get fresh towels.

There was one morning we were heading out on a diving trip, so we went to reception to ask if we could have some towels straight away, as we were getting picked up very shortly. The man on reception spoke to another lady, who then yelled back in Vietnamese. They both then proceeded to continue what they were doing as we were waiting, without any indication they were getting our towels. As we asked again, the man said he'd send it to our rooms. We then stated again that we needed it NOW as we were leaving on the diving trip right then. Again more yelling in Vietnamese (this time down the back). We waited another 5 minutes, with nothing happening, and we had to leave towel-less as we were running late for the pickup. After our dive trip, we though at least they would send the fresh towels to our room. However when we got back there were no towels to be seen and we had to ask yet again at reception.

Another time, we'd been to the beach, so we needed fresh towels to shower. When I went to reception to explain what I needed and return the used towels, the man at reception just took the old towels without giving any in return. I stated once again that I needed new towels then he spoke to a lady out the back who yelled back in Vietnamese. He then proceeded to pick up some towels which were hanging off the back of some chairs in the office and gave them to me. They were DAMP! I told him they were wet and I needed new towels. He just shook his head and pointed at the towels he'd given me. A beach resort not having fresh towels?!?!

Once again, do NOT stay here under any circumstance!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Chiresa
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The only thing shinning like a star is the owners house at the entrance of the 'resort'.
Ofcourse its a nice location at the beach but the rest is far from impressive. Very kitsch. I would look further down the road untill this place gets an overhaul...

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank DzineNL
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights with my family. We actually looked for other resorts but well, we decided to go on a vacation at the last minute so luckily there were only 2,3 rooms left at the moment from Thousand Stars resort. We had two bungalows with view just to the beach, mine was very good, hot water, air conditioner, tv everything worked nicely, the other bungalow has its light and bath tub broken but it got fixed after we contacted the receptionist. There are a table and chairs in the balcony where we stayed outside almost every evening to drink, chit chat and hear the sea.
I have to agree that the decorations here are a bit odd, all the animal statues look so unnatural. I particularly dislike the mermaid and dolphin statues they built just on the shore of the beach, which, to me, really destroyed natural view. However, the beach there is quite clean compared to others.
I love the swimming pool there.
Breakfast was okay, some local types of noodles, pancakes, toast with butter, jam or sunny one sided eggs...
What i notice is that there were lots of dogs on this island not just this resort.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jinrongchenhuang
Reviewed January 18, 2012

This place has a nice big pool with loungers around it and some umbrellas for shade. It lies on an ok section of the beach - sandy, shallow near the shore for kids - although quite narrow.
The sea view bungalows have terraces facing the sea. Plentiful hot water in the rooms.
But everything else about it is terrible. The staff barely speak English and are extremely slow. Apart from the pool man, none of them appear to take any pride in their work.
Our rooms were reasonably clean but everything in them was falling apart. And ours had an unpleasant smell (possibly bug spray) which we couldn't get rid of in 2 days of having the air con on. We had to put the mosquito nets up ourselves, which required considerable acrobatics and ingenuity since they too were falling apart and there weren't enough hooks in the ceiling. only 1 English TV channel.
Appalling breakfast.
Only 2 sun loungers on the beach (unless you count the one that was quite literally rotting in its spot) and shade only from a few trees. We had to go and get cushions from the pool loungers.
The whole place was filthy (apart from around the pool).
We paid extra for a sea view bungalow, and had a number of staff lounging and sleeping on benches right outside our terrace all afternoon with loud music playing.
1 decent pc in the reception area, and weak wifi near that, but no reception in the rooms.
I would have rated this Terrible if it wasn't for the pool and ok beach. It's a bit cheaper than other places on the beach, but not cheap enough for its state of decay. It appears to have had no work done for decades and the staff just don't care.

• Stayed: January 2012