We stayed at Bamboo Cottages for five nights in the middle of our Vietnam trip and it was everything we expected it to be and more.
I notice there are a few reviews from guests, that are less favourable and all i would say to them is: if you read the website properly before you went you should be under no illusions. It clearly states that its not a luxury resort and electricity is not available 24hrs a day. i have to say that was the biggest appeal of this place for me; utter bliss.
The owners are brilliant hosts, particularly He who regales the guests with stories of his experiences during the war and his time as a uni lecturer. He's quite a character and shared my love of the natural world and we often chatted about snakes and all the other weird and wonderful vietnamese wildlife. He also likes to sing and play guitar and one night he insisted on singing love songs whilst the guests danced; unchained melody was definitely the fav.
The resort is located in the north of the island about 30min motorbike ride to the main town; so definitely recommend booking a bike for the duration of your stay. We had one everyday and used it to explore all around the island.
The food is really good and fresh; i recommend the shared meals for two especially the grilled fish or hot pot. The menu isn't extensive but don't think that matters. As regards the service, its relaxed and the waiting staff don't speak good english but to be honest I never found it a problem. If they didn't understand I would speak to the owner or his wife and they would translate.
From talking to the owner i understand the property used to his holiday home and he only recently started building cottages and having guests. This probably explains some of the minor annoyances other guests have experienced, such as service in restaurant. Its obvious the owner is constantly improving and developing his staff and I reckon in a year or 2 this place will be even more amazing. Hopefully he still manages to maintain its charm.
The cottages are basic but clean and ours opened up onto the most beautiful sea view.
All in all, we had an amazing time here and we were made to feel as part of the family during our stay. I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a laid back relaxing break in a beautiful setting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is a small Vietnamese family-run getaway located on a secluded stretch of Vung Bau Bay. All rooms are housed in spacious cottages with views of the sea. All rooms have plush queen beds & unique tropical open-air bathrooms. Hot water is provided by solar panels. The kitchen serves authentic homemade Vietnamese dishes made with fresh seafood & organic vegetables. A part of Bamboo’s proceeds goes to the Together We Serve Foundation which provides scholarships to needy children. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Bamboo Cottages & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bamboo Cottages & Restaurant Hotel Phu Quoc Island
- Bamboo Cottages And Restaurant