All reviews movie stars historic hotel john wayne old west ronald reagan back in the day gift shop lucille ball presidential suite marx brothers wagon wheel route road trip bygone era small bathroom movie history beautiful lobby navajo rugs
Reviewed July 2, 2018

We stayed here for one night on our Route 66 road trip.

The hotel trades on it's history, claiming many Hollywood stars have stayed here in the dim-and-distant past. The lobby oozes character and there's a great wall of fame on the second floor balcony. The rooms are quirkily named after Hollywood stars but that's really where the charm ends as far as the rooms go - our's was comfortable, clean but very dated. Whilst the bar may be historic it is a bit dark and lacks atmosphere. We didn't eat at the restaurant.

The area seems a little sketchy and it always makes me nervous when a hotel feels the need for a full-time security guard to be patrolling the grounds!

Worth a stay for the lobby and the history but not much else.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2018 via mobile

We were excited to spend the night in an old Hollywood style hotel and we were not disappointed! It was everything we were told it would be- from the friendly bartender at the 49ers Lounge (where John Wayne had thrown back a few), to the Hollywood photos lining the walls along the balcony to the 2nd floor - where we sat outside with a late night cocktail. The lobby is reminiscent of the good old days of the wealthy Southwest and each of the rooms is named for a star who stayed there! Our room had a photo inside and was appointed with a cozy kitchenette as well! I wish we could have extended our stay. I plan to come back in the late fall to see the beautiful fireplace blazing in the lobby. Also, the shop has wonderful Indian jewelry and pottery. The staff was welcoming and seemed to want to make sure that our stay was great.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2018

Another old classic hotel on my New Mexico trip. I guess the appeal here is that a lot of Hollywood folks stayed here a long time ago. That is interesting, but is it enough?

Firstly, the lobby is amazing. All of the wood and furnishings are beautiful. Once you get past that, however, it's an average hotel. The hallways look depressing, The bathroom in the room, while clean, was dated. With the several locks on the door and signs about valuables I was a little worried about the place.

Now I did have a good night's sleep, which I guess is the most important thing, And the restaurant, while smaller than I thought it would be, did make a good patty melt. Overall it's not a bad place if you don't mind a decidedly old look. Just not quite as much as I was expecting.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2018

The service was very friendly, smiles, excellent advice. The food was great, steak cooked to order and very tasty, the steak fajitas with the guacamole and the salad with sour cream were very good. In short, it is worthwile visiting this place when you are in Gallup, NM

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2018

Had a wonderful family luncheon, the wait staff did a wonderful job of catering to our needs. Food was delicious. We will return for more dining in the near future, it's always a pleasant place to visit whether it's for an outing or just to fill the empty stomachs.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family