See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 3, 2016 via mobile

Very short stay as we got in late and left fairly early. Hotel is run down, but clean. We missed a majority of the breakfast as it was picked through by the time we went downstairs at 9:30 so go early! There are no elevators so keep that in mind when you need to haul your luggage up the stairs. A pain but it is only one floor up. The pool was being worked on when we stayed, but we would not have been able to use it anyways in the short stay. Pillows and beds are small as I am a big guy sleeping next to my wife. Bed was a bit uncomfortable. Shower was hot and plenty of pressure but toilet was scary as it flushed slow. House keeping staff seems grumpy as we were asleep and forgot to place do not disturb sign on door. They tried to open the door with it latched and then slammed the door waking us up. Not cool! However, friendly staff, convenient and inexpensive to stay here. Good value and I recommend for short stay! Thanks Red Lion staff!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Management response:Responded July 15, 2016

I have spoken to my housekeeping staff. I advised them to gently close the door in the future. Thank you for taking time to let me know. I have forwarded your response to my company, regarding you pillows, etc.

Reviewed July 1, 2016 via mobile

The hotel staff was friendly throughout stay. The room was fresh and clean. AC unit was working great. Extended cable channels. Carpet, bedspread, bathroom all exceptionally clean and well kept.
Cab service for city is basically some person working out of home. Not dependable and over priced.
The manager was kind enough to give us a ride to get food, etc. on busy 4th of July weekend. Very thoughtful. We appreciate your hospitality, and we will definitely return when in Gallup area.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Management response:Responded July 15, 2016

Thank you for your kind remarks, we do appreciate it.

Reviewed June 28, 2016

It was 10:30p when we arrived to the Red Lion Hotel -- after making the reservation over the phone about 6 hours earlier in route of moving to Texas from Nevada. It was surprisingly busy with only ONE desk clerk. The young lady was frustrated and a little short tempered-but it was understandable--she was by herself. She said she asked for help but was told she didn't need help. I got two rooms and after a long day of driving and then waiting in the lobby, I finally got to my own room. It was not bad -- was clean as far as I could see. However, the bathroom was not a pleasant experience. It was very small, you couldn't get in the tub unless you closed the door, you couldn't close the door if you'd already put the mat on the floor. It was difficult getting the water to come on or the shower to work. The bed was reasonably comfortable. We left at 5a so we were there for the hotel-provided breakfast which starts at 6a. My traveling partners had the same experience in their room. Maybe the hotel management should pay attention to activities in town and make sure they have enough staff available -- by the way, many hotels in the area were sold out, which I guess was due to the tournament in town. It just happened that I made my reservation just in time.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded July 15, 2016

I am sorry about the check in. Usually one person is fine, however, sometimes everyone seems to enter at the same time. I will speak to our management company about getting additional help at the front desk in the future.

Thank you for letting us know, that is the way we make changes.

Reviewed June 11, 2016

When first going through the front doors, there's an emptiness feeling, gloomy look and just a place that doesn't feel comfortable. The wall behind the front desk has a hole, the ceiling and walls looks like its about to fall a part, the paint is bad. There is no restaurant inside anymore, there's a smell through out the place. Looking at the drapes from the outside when you first approach the hotel looks like they are about to fall off, torn and just old. Pool inside is not good.

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Management response:Responded June 14, 2016

With the new owners, we are getting rehab ready. We understand there is a lot of upgrading that needs to be completed. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Reviewed May 21, 2016 via mobile

Booked this hotel for a stop over while doing Route 66. On arrival it looked clean so wasn't worried. Disappointed that the pool was shut as was the laundry. Went to our room and being on the ground floor noticed lots of different entrance doors and people running outside. Asked at reception if the outside doors were locked at night - no. Was there security - no. We went outside to get things from our car to see a full on police raid with people on the floor , guns drawn right by our car.
The receptionist was very blasé about the whole thing but we weren't happy. Locals were running in and out the building and it just didn't seem safe. No manager on duty - in fact the receptionist seemed to be the only staff!! Refund refused and was told that they had my credit card details so not to slate the hotel!!!!! People pulling up who hadn't made bookings were quickly leaving. We joined them. Hard beds & pillows I can cope with but I like to feel safe.

Stayed: May 2016
Management response:Responded June 7, 2016

This is a very exaggerated review. The fact that Red Lion Staff called the police, as soon as there was a comment made to the front desk, shows the importance of our guest safety. I would have been more upset if my staff had not cared, and not called the police. I cannot be here 24 hours per day, therefore, I expect them to make decisions in my absence. I received a phone call immediately and kept in contact with the front desk for over an hour on the phone. I asked them to call the police and have a guest that was screaming and cussing at our employees and other guest, to be removed from our property.