All reviews stayed here room was clean great place to stay jeff town pet cozy
Reviewed July 11, 2015

I could give it a 2 given the price but considering Red River is a tourist place I'll go with the 3. I am very used to "rustic" but I thought the price was on the high side for the quality of the place. We visited July 7-9, so not ski season, and Red River did not seem that busy but the price was up there. The rooms were clean enough and the mattress in my room was OK. I slept good. Water pressure and shower were good plus the rooms were good size. I just hope in the winter the electric heater in the room works because the gas heater in the bathroom does not have a blower on it to force air into the large sleeping area. By buddy had a full kitchen in his room. He usually has to sleep in a chair because of his back. If you have this problem as, some of us old guys do, you better pass on this motel, the chair has a low back on it. If you sleep late the gravel in the parking lot makes for early departing vehicles well heard. The girls at the desk seemed to be a bit lost. My buddy paid in advance for two nights and two rooms but reserved for three nights but they could not find where he had paid. Oh well, we paid at check in for three nights. However, he got sick and we checked out early. The girls at the desk seemed lost again. I'll keep an eye on my credit card bill. Would I stay here again? Maybe but I'd check on other places first.

Room tip: Check your credit card bill
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank leroys73
Reviewed July 11, 2015

Who answers a business phone with an impatient "hello?" The rude employees here are also scamming guests with pets out of their $25 cash deposit, including me. We've been doing family reunions here for 15 years (we like the motel's layout), and while the room upgrades have been minimal, the staff's unprofessionalism has increased. I think my sunglasses were taken from the conference room we rented. I don't like these people!

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank Melinda R
Reviewed July 6, 2015

I've stayed in Red River 15+ times. I have come to expect lodge rooms or cabins that are clean but not lovely. Comfortable and basic. The Ponderosa was not comfortable, and we had MANY problems. I stayed for a family reunion so our experience included: 1- We were given keys to an occupied room (!!) and then they didn't have one available with a kitchen like we had reserved so had to downsize. We asked for refund for the difference and didn't get the full difference due between a kitchen unit and a regular room, but after so much hassle we gave up. The girl running the office seemed overwhelmed by the situation. 2- My cousin's bedroom had been flooded so had a box fan and smelled a little. 3- "Maid service" emptied the trash but didn't give us new coffee or toilet paper. 4- My sister's room had a fold out couch they intended to put their kids on, but it was missing two springs so the icky thin mattress was literally sinking in places. Overall it's not kept up well. Also the 'courtyard' is a picnic table and charcoal grill behind the lodge (see photo). The location is good, but there are many other choices that are better.

Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank Anne R
Reviewed June 29, 2015

The motel is old and needs renovation. The room was clean and the beds were OK, not the best but not the worst I have had and not worth the rate they charge. They allow pets but charge extra and also require a $25.00 deposit. The girl checking me in said I would get my deposit back when I checked out if everything was ok in the room. The next morning I asked for my deposit back and was told it would be mailed to me within seven days!! The lady was very rude and argued with me!!! I told her I was going to take pictures of the room because the room was left clean and I sensed a rip-off and didn't want to give them an extra $25!! While I was taking pictures of the interior the rather rude and hateful lady brought me my money and said she had made a mistake!! I feel they would have taken advantage of me had I waited for them to mail me my money. I will never stay here again!!!!!

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank jollytraveler2016
Reviewed March 3, 2015

This wonderful hotel/lodge was the perfect choice for our honeymoon getaway! They offer a variety of room sizes, but we chose a one bedroom with kitchen, living area, and bathroom. The best part was the fireplace! The lodge provides free firewood, so we could have a fire going 24/7. The lodge is located in the heart of Red River. We were able to walk to every restaurant, store, and the ski area. The hot tub was a wonderful surprise. It is located inside a greenhouse/atrium area. You can sit in the wonderful warmth and watch it snow. The staff here is top notch. They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and help us with ski tickets and restaurant reservations. It was a slice of heaven and we hated leaving.

Date of stay: February 2015