“Red River, NM July 2010”
Review of Red River

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Wichita, Kansas
24 helpful votes
“Red River, NM July 2010”
Reviewed July 13, 2010

My family of 4, including 2 teenagers, just spent 4 very peaceful and enjoyable days in Red River, NM. Here's my summary:

July Weather - Highs in the low to mid 70s and lows around 40. Some overcast periods with afternoon mountain showers but overall absolutely beautiful. Wear sunscreen - the sun is INTENSE.

Altitude Sickness - The town sits at 8750 feet, the pass at 9850 ft and the top of the ski are is 10,350 feet. Drink LOTS of water and eat carbs (fruit is great) to avoid the nausea, dizziness and headaches common with altitude sickness. It will pass in a day or two as you acclimate.

Town - You can walk from one end of town to the other and it's a very safe town for the kids. Lots of family activities. The town community center is very active and offers lots of free family and kid-oriented activities. There is a limited choice of restaurants and most close by 9 pm. We tried Capo's and Sundance and would recommend both. Calzones are great at Capo's and Sundance has great green chili. There is one grocery store (pricey) and 2-3 bars with live music on the weekends. There are many shops selling the typical tourist stuff.

Lodging - Lots of ski condos and accommodations of all types. My recommendation is to get something with a kitchen and bring as much of your own food as possible to save money. Many places are pet friendly and lots of people bring their dogs.

Activities - Very outdoorsy area. I highly recommend riding the ski lift up the mountain and hiking around up there. The views are great, there's a small restaurant, and even a frisbee golf course on top of the mountain. There are a handful of businesses that arrange trips and rent jeeps, mountain bikes, digglers (2 person motorized vehicle), surreys (multi-person bicycle with awning), mountain boards (like snowboard but with wheels for grass) and ATVs. We rented a jeep through Sitzmark Sports, but they all seem to broker for the same place and have consistent prices. We couldn't find anywhere in town that rented ATVs for your own use, they were all guided tours. White water rafting is about an hour and a half away so we decided to pass and stay in town but you can book rafting trips through the local businesses. There are tons of hiking trails in the area. Lots of fishing opportunities and the local river is heavily stocked with trout. Red River Stables is a great place to ride horses.

4x4 - The most popular activity seemed to be 4-wheelin'. There are lots of jeep and ATV trails. You can rent a jeep locally but you'll need to bring your own ATV if you don't like the guided tour thing. These are serious jeep trails and I would not recommend taking your own 4x4 up some of them. The trails up through Mallette Canyon up to Midnight Meadows and Greenie Peak are fun. Old Red River Pass has great views from 9850 feet. The trail to Cabresto Lake is well worth it, but make sure you have good ground clearance. The trail to Goose Lake is fantastic! It was a major white-knuckler - steep, narrow with drop offs. You start the trail by pulling off the highway and fording through the river - very cool! In June the river will hit the hood of the jeep. In July it was above the tires. The trail is very rocky and feels much longer than 8 miles. The trail is narrow and in many places oncoming traffic becomes a real problem - just watch out. There are old mining cabins and caves/mine shafts on the trail. The top lets out at Goose Lake, which is gorgeous. Our favorite trail by far.

Wildlife - There are lots of elk in the area and tons of chipmunks.
There was a black bear waiting to greet people on the Goose Lake jeep trail. We saw a snowshoe rabbit, lots of birds (grey jays, mountain blue jays, bluebirds, ravens, hummingbirds, ducks), and several deer. The deer and chipmunks are used to people and are often wandering around through town an in your front yard.

2 Thank naturelove11
Fayetteville, Ar.
“My favorite Place in Red River.”
Reviewed December 17, 2008

I enjoy Red River so much as a getaway from everything. The people there are so nice and helpful. I really enjoyed the skiing, but enjoyed 4-wheeling in the mountains more. I would recommend this place to everybody that needs rest and relaxation. I go every year and will not miss it next year.

Black Mountain Lodge is where I stayed. I think it is up for sale and hope that they don't change things when someone buys it. Do not eat at Capo's. The worst food and very expensive. It cost us $50 for two people to eat. I had 1/2 a spagetti plate. Just not worth it. I was really disappointed.

Jan

Cincinnati, Ohio
41 helpful votes
“Great Ski Trip!”
Reviewed May 3, 2008

Took my family (husband, 11-year-old, 5-year-old, and parents) for our first ski trip to Red River, NM over spring break (March 10-16, 2008). We had an awesome time!
We stayed at the Copper King Lodge, and although you could tell that this was an older establishment, it was very clean and had plenty of space for the six of us. Online, the lodge appears to be small, seperate cabins, but in reality, it was kind of like a small motel, all laid-out together. Excellent hot tub in which you could relax your sore muscles and watch the more daring skiers come down the Copper Run . . .
The town is small, so if you like night-life and LOTS of shopping, this isn't for you. There were nice souvenier shops and quaint restaraunts, great Mexican food, and the people were super friendly! No problems renting ski equipment from Bighorn Ski Rental, only 1 block from our lodge.
Were worried about lack of snow this late in the season, but there was plenty! I was told that powder is better, but this being our first time skiing, we didn't know the difference . . .
Stayed on the Blue and Gold chair lifts the first day, but risked the Red chair lift (top of the mountain) with my 11-year-old the 2nd day . . . make sure you can TURN and STOP before you try this! We had to "snow-plow" all the way down, and my legs were locked like that after the 1.5 hr ski down to the bottom! It was beautiful scenery, but the Beginner trail wasn't exactly my kind of "beginner trail"!
All-in-all, we will definitely go back, a 14-hr drive from our home in Texas, loved the small-town feel, never crowded, and lots of area for new skiers!

Foley, Alabama
18 helpful votes
“Red River vacation”
Reviewed April 11, 2008

We visited Red River July. We were impressed for such a small town how much there was to do.
We were lucky to be in town during their Fourth of July parade. It was very impressive and fun to watch.
We rode the ski lift to the top of the mountain and hiked around for the day. A restaurant is at the top of the mountain that you can eat at and have views of the surrounding area. The view from the mountain and the ski lift trip back down the mountain are unbelievable. If you visit in the summer do not forget the ski lift is still running.
Jeep rides and horseback riding are also available.
If you like to shop you can spend hours on their Main Street. They have clothing stores, souvenir shops and restaurants.
The store that we had to visit numerous times was the Candy Crate.
They had a huge selection of home made fudge. I found some vintage candy that I had not seen in years. They reminded me of my childhood. Everyone at the store was friendly and we had great customer service. We stopped their daily to buy fudge, candies and drinks to take back to our room at night. Behind the Candy Crate is a melodrama theater that can interact with the actors. We booed the villains and rooted for the good guys. It was great fun!
Go to Frye’s Old Town to see fake bank robberies with shootouts.
This was a town that is geared toward a relaxing vacation and we would highly recommend it. We plan to travel back to this area and will make sure we stay in Red River again and buy more fudge, hike and just get away from it all.

1 Thank thetourman01
Oklahoma
111 helpful votes
“Some probs with RR”
Reviewed January 8, 2007

First, if you book doing ski season, consider your reservation NON-cancellable. Doesn't matter if it snows there, if you're snowed in in Denver, Chicago. They all state the same thing: 'we're a resort town, no other business, yadda yadda." So with that said, just remember once you book, the money is spent. Same with ski rentals.

Second: most lodging is in condos, so unless you've inspected ahead of time, you get what you find. We had better luck stopping through in the summer and going into individual condos before we decided.

Third: Not much in the way of dining, in numers or variety. The better restaurants are quite pricey compared to same meal in a non-resort area.

Fourth: Good place to learn to ski. Not so hot if you are a better skier. You're only 35 minutes from Taos, drive around the mountain if you need a challenge. If you ski on Mon-Thurs you pretty much have the mountain to yourself, so consider avoiding weekends, (see #5).

Fifth: Red River is cursed by being close to kansas, Texas and Oklahoma. As such, sit out on main street on fridays and watch the church busses flood in. On weekends expect very long lift lines and watch out for newbies on the slopes.

Sixth: Only one grocery in town. Is the glass half full or half empty. I could have said, 'there is a grocery in town." If you are going to use the kitchen in your condo, bring stuff with you. Its expensive to buy food in RR.

Seventh: In the off season, esp summer, its very quiet. Weather is a beauty. good cycling, hiking. However, see #3 and #6.

2 Thank triguy46

Been to Red River? Share your experiences!