All reviews watering hole game drives infinity pool other guests attention to detail the reserve his knowledge his passion extra touches various parts rooms are spacious south africa an excellent guide a special place outdoor shower every meal wonderful hosts
Reviewed October 14, 2012

You can tell that the hosts, Nicole and Steve, own their lodge and genuinely care about conservation, wildlife, and your experience! There heart and soul is 100% in it!
Steve has a conservation and ecology backround, and you will not find a more knowledgeable guide. He also does giuded walks, which is the ultimate in bush experiences - becoming a part of nature. Nicole has made the lodge a beautiful and comfotable home, immersed in nature, without the feeling of separation or being a spectator that one gets at a lot of the lodges. no big electric fences and spotlights, just you in your cabins and the sound of lions and hyenas at night! Serious goosebumps!! The cabins are spotless and airconditioned, and they are extremely environmentally conscious, minimizing the lodge's footprint where ever they can. Meals are delicious and healthy, genuinely South-African homecooked inspired, with lots of freh veg and fruit, and amazing venison and meat also, home baked pastry and breads, eggs, literally ANYTHING one could ask for.
If you are coming to this area, Toro Yaka is a must, or you have not truly been to the bush!

Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank HeddaCapeTown
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Our three days with Toro Yaka was by far the highlight of our vacation in South Africa. We had a fantastic time, the rooms were great, the food was fabulous and best of all the staff was wonderful. Jaybe and Victor did a great job on the game drives (the big five in 24 hours!) and we really enjoyed our hike with Steve- his outdoor knowledge is incredible. The food was first class and better than anywhere else on our vacation in South Africa and Zimbabwe. We spent two nights at another more expensive lodge and there is no question that we liked Toro Yaka better.
I can't stress enough how wonderful everything was! You might pay more at another lodge, but you will not get more value.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank bo907rn
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My wife and I were looking for an exciting experience for our first safari and our first visit to South Africa. We could not have made a better selection than the Toro Yaka Bush Lodge. Steve and Nicole and their staff made it very special. The rooms were sparkling clean, the meals were amazing and the safari drives were just what we were looking for.
Lots of small special touches made us feel like part of the family.
For us it was the perfect safari experience.

Date of stay: August 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank jgshaver
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Visited Toro Yaka for my safari July 15-20, 2012. From the beginning, it was a superb experience. Robyn picked me up and gave me a great introduction to the area. Steve introduced me to the lodge and after settling in started with the first of many outstanding meals. Steve is the guide and animal expert and his lovely wife, Nicole, was the chef and a great massage therapist. JB was a wonderful guide and everyone at the lodge provided "5 star" service down to little details that made the experience one to remember. I saw the Big 5 over the next few days. Was up close and personal with lion, elephant and buffalo. Nicole arranged for a day in Kruger Park. Robyn was a fun, great guide--we saw leopard, lion and the rest of the Big 5. She told great stories about Africa.

I had many friends who were doing safaris in the area, including in the same game reserve. From our discussions, it sounds like I had an outstanding experience and saw more animals than most.

I can see why Toro received such high ratings and I add mine to them. It is a special place with wonderful people--I can't wait to come back and visit again.

Room tip: Ask for a room with an out door shower and porch.
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank jbray54
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We spent in Toro Yaka five days in August 2012. It was really the most delightful moment of our holidays through South Africa and Zimbabwe.
The location is perfect to taste the environment of Kruger National Park biosphere: we had zebras, giraffes, impalas and kudus in Toro yaka garden. It was like being on a documentary set!
Nicole and Steve, the owners and managers, made us really feeling at home, the accomodation was very clean and comfortable, the staff at Toro Yaka is incredibly warm and professional and everything was perfect.
Nicole is an excellent chef and Steve a great and skilled guide to lead you through the park, looking for wild animals.
And in the end, last but not least, I was travelling with my daughter, who suffers from coeliac disease and the cuisine was perfect for her as Nicole was able to prepare everything, even the gluten free bread, muffins and wonderful desserts.
I would recommend this place to everyone travveling to Kruger National Park, also if you have special dietary requirements.

• Trip type: Travelled with family