All reviews our honeymoon the river safari experience picnic lunch attention to detail wine cellar game lodge food was amazing amazing experience tree house the entire staff travel agent lion cubs morning safari every meal south africa bush walk
Reviewed January 15, 2017 via mobile

An early 25th anniversary present to ourselves, we had an amazing stay , everything perfect, staff , food, lovely safari guides , they found the big 5 in our first 24 hours! We stayed in the water suite which was beautiful with amazing views down to the river. Would love to come back one day. Thank you .

Date of stay: December 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracey P
Pondoro, Owner at Pondoro Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2017

Dear Tracey and Gary,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary and we are delighted that we could help in making it an unforgettable stay.

Reviewed January 15, 2017

I can't say enough great things about our stay at Pondoro Game Lodge. The location is amazing. The guides were very knowledgable and helped us meet our goals for viewing wildlife and birds. We enjoyed the food, and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a top notch safari experience, we recommend Pondoro Game Lodge.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank cwildwest

Dear cwildwest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

Good to see you had a fabulous time at Pondoro. Glad you found our guides knowledgeable and eager to show you all the wildlife and birds.

Reviewed January 12, 2017

I spent 3 nights at Pondoro Lodge and could not better the experience in any way. The highlight of course are the safaris, the driver and spotter I was with - Rul and Andres were the best - they want you to have the best experience and they do not disappoint. I saw the big 5 in the first 3 safaris - however there is no guarantee here, some outings were full of wildlife, some less so. The accommodations are incredible as are the food. Typical day when I was there in Sept: 5:15am coffee and snack and 5:30am on Safari. There is nothing like an African sunrise. We are out until about 8:45am or so, stopping for a coffee/tea with snack break mid way thru. At 9:30 a wonderful multi-course breakfast on the wonderful deck overlooking the river, just watch out for the small cheeky monkeys that want to get your muffins. At 11:00-noon a ranger led walk. Noon - 3:00 is down time for everyone including the animals and a time to enjoy your fabulous accommodation. 3:00pm is a lovely lunch on the deck and 3:30 cake and coffee. 4:00 back in the vehicles until 7:30 or so with a wine/beer break with appetizers half way thru. Drinks around 8:00 followed by a multi course fabulous dinner. If you are only there a few days, I wouldn't consider any side trips - enjoy this incredible place - I'm so glad I didn't venture out. Thanks to all the staff especially Rul and Andres for an incredible time.
Something I better understood upon getting there is that I feel this is better than going thru Kruger itself. Pondoro adjoins Kruger and like many (but not all) private reserves that adjoin Kruger there are no fences so the animals roam freely between the park and these private reserves. With Pondoro you can go off-road and follow the animals and travel after dark, things I don't think you can do in Kruger. The vehicles at Pondoro are open, seating is tiered and all great seats - niceties like blanket ponchos for the cold mornings etc.

Date of stay: September 2016

Dear jenaraz,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

Glad that we could add to your bucket list and most of all not disappoint. I will rely your appreciation to all the staff, especially Rul and Andries.

Reviewed January 9, 2017 via mobile

There are not enough words of praise and thanks to express the wonderful holiday our friends at Pondoro created for my family and me during our early December four night visit.

Our arrival and reception by Lize at the lodge was so warm we felt like family returning home to a place we'd been before. Every small detail was considered to make us feel like Pondoro's most special guests. The menu offered great cuisine choices and was also adjusted in small ways if we had special favorite items.

Our guide Rul and tracker Andreas became like family immediately with their warm inviting smile. Early in our stay during our first few game drives we sensed both their personal friendship and overwhelming passion for their work. Their communication and amazing spotting and tracking skills energized me and my family as we became active participants learning everything they would teach and show us.

We will never forget Rul and Andreas excitedly spotting tracks in the sand saying "buffalo running....five lions chasing" then using all their years of experience to locate the buffalo kill....and the young male lion concealed nearby on security watch over their kill. The photos we took are breathtaking and all possible because of Rul and Andreas caring so greatly for our experience! This was just one encounter, we had MANY stunning encounters including witnessing giraffes fighting, a dozen young hyenas playfully mauling their Mom at sunset, a Mom and baby black rhino competing in a little dance to collapse and feast on a termite nest (which the guides even filmed) and an elusive cheetah showing herself two days in a row (again, thanks to Rul and Andreas as they worked hard to locate her).

Robbie (the owner) was a joy to speak with as was Lize. (My wife wondered if we could adopt Lize and bring her back to London with us!). Robbie clearly creates a family environment for all staff and that is felt by guests.

Also, I don't want to spoil the story or excitement of experiencing it but learning about

Trip type: Travelled with family
Pondoro, Owner at Pondoro Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2017

Dear patricksQ2068ET,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

We are grateful that we could live up to your expectations and that you had a wonderful time. Rul, Andries and Lize, off course, will be elated about your kind words. And no...she is not available for adoption!

Reviewed January 7, 2017

We stayed, unfortunately, only two nights at Pondoro. Almost everything about our stay was perfect! The welcoming, the excellent food, the lovely staff and of course also our game drives with Rul and Roland.
The only pitty was, that we have never received the wine list.
At the beginning I asked twice for it; I was told they don't have one.
As a result, we could only order wine by glass. When we left, we got the information that Pondoro even has a wine cellar! :-( Such a pitty for both of us.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear 1981nic0le,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

Look like you had a fabulous time at Pondoro. I am very sorry to hear about the wine list incident. We have already addressed the issue. Too late unfortunately for your stay, I know. Be assured that we will make up for this if you ever decide to visit Pondoro again.