Kapama Karula
Kapama River Lodge(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
US$669
US$651
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Kapama Southern Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
US$862
Orbitz.com
SUN1 Pretoria(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
US$40
Hotels.com
Fortis Hotel Capital(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
US$91
Agoda.com
Morning Star Express Hotel(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
US$63
Manhattan Hotel(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$55
  • Breakfast included
Kapama Buffalo Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewssuperior suiteoutdoor showerprivate poolgame drivesthe riverthe reserverare sightingour honeymoonchef patrickwii consoleperfect experiencesized bedsafari experiencesitting areaabsolute privacymodern luxuryhoedspruit airport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Stayed over Christmas in one of the family suites. Would highly recommend.
Warm greeting on arrival, the staff already knew the kids' names, very personable and lunch laid on even day of arrival.
Game drives were done very well and the guides tracking a leopard for us (after a sundowner drink) a real highlight of our visit.
I heard from several of our fellow guests that they were not overwhelmed with the tented accommodation but the family suites are superb. The website accurately describes them. It's luxury in the midst of nature (the kids were delighted to find a wii in their room and frog in their shower).
Most of all though the service here was second to none. Special personalised safari backpacks for the children awaited them in the room on arrival and the christmas stockings provided on Christmas day after dinner a real surprise. Well done the Kapama Karula team.

Room Tip: Go for a family suite - after all aren't you worth it!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank DCBLEGAL
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I travelled with my boyfriend in the first week of January 2012. It was just perfect!!! From the pick up at the airport to the magnificent private pool in our suite we loved everything. I'm a birdwatcher and since the very first time I said this, our fantastic ranger, Darren, had all efforts to show me new species. The service is outstanding, from the cleaning staff to the manager, everybody smiled and tried to help us in every possible way. I would definitely come back and strongly recommend it.
Food was very nice, with two breakfast times, lunch with three a la carte options of main course, snacks in the afternoon and during the safaris, both in the morning as in the afternoon safaris, and delicious dinner, by the pool, at the boma or in the fancy restaurant with Phillip Starck chairs.

Room Tip: The suites are just perfect. They have a complete mini bar with a nice selection of South African wines, coffee/tea machine, fireplace, private pool with a delicious wooden deck, an external shower. If you want complete privacy and a fantastic time I strongly recommend it.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Our review of Kapama is a bit different from most of the reviews posted on trip advisor. I will start with the positive:

The tents were beautiful, luxurious and very comfortable. There is an understated modern charm to Kapama Karula which is evident in the tents and throughout the intimate lodge. The safari guide and tracker were extremely knowledgeable and tried their best to ensure we saw the big 5 (which we did within a couple of days). Also, there were many other intriguing animals that we had not seen on previous safaris such as Nyalas, African civets and many birds. Without a doubt, it is a fantastic location for a safari (whilst animals are not as plentiful as compared to East African safaris, there is a greater variety of animals at Kapama Karula). The service from the wait staff was faultless. We were assigned a butler who tended to our needs and was very attentive.

Where I felt Kapama Karula fell short was with the service from its management. It is a tiny lodge, therefore the service from management should have been more evident. I compared it to the Maldives where we were prior to our Kapama trip and there were stark differences (FYI, I am not comparing locations but rather the service at 2 similarly priced and sized hotels). At the tiny resort in the Maldives, every member of management knew our names, our likes, dislikes and were genuinely engaging. This was not the case at Kapama. It lacked the warmth and genuine friendliness of the management team which was extremely disappointing.
I would also describe the food as average. I think the breakfast menu was great but the lunches and dinners were average and felt a bit recycled. Although, I genuinely appreciated the effort the kitchen staff put in to ensure they used local products (as much as possible).

All in all it was a good experience but not a great one, especially considering the price of hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
20  Thank exploringtheglobe
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My family of 7 had the pleasure of staying at River Lodge, Buffalo Camp and Karula while staying at Kapama over the holidays. And, while all of the facilities were beyond fantastic, Karula was our favorite. At all three facilities, we stayed in incredible accommodations, ate fantastic food and were attended to by the most incredible team. Each of the guides and trackers did an AMAZING job, providing incredible animal interactions. There were lions, elephants, rhinos and many others within 5 feet of us at multiple times throughout the trip! We even saw the elusive leopard! I had safaried in Kenya a few years ago and, while you won't see the number of animals in the Great Migration at Kapama, given the political risk in Kenya / Tanzania at the moment and the strong tourist infrastructure of South Africa, I would recommend this experience.
My parents celebrated a vow renewal at Karula and the team could not have been more fantastic or provided a more joyful event for my family. Through countless emails, the team at Karula answered our innumerable questions, inspired a sense of confidence and coordinated the entire affair. It turned out absolutely perfect – from the flowers flown in from Johannesburg, to the AMAZING African choir and dance team, to the incredible cake and officiant. Even when rain necessitated a change of plans, the Karula team executed Plan B seamlessly and made sure every detail turned out perfect!
Overall, it was an experience for the memory books and I would highly recommend Kapama in general, and Karula specifically. We could not have been more pleased!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank dkbsmiles
Reviewed 24 December 2011

Kapama Karula was the most amazing place. My boyfriend and I went there 3 nights, as it was also my birthday too. This was my first time to South Africa and although he is oringinally from there, this was his first time in a private reserve. We did game drives twice daily with Jordan and Collin (who were both amazing at spotting and tracking and also extremely interesting when answering questions about the animals there. The food was great, the bar was stocked with great wine and all our favorite beer and ciders. We had dinner at the boma one night with a traditional tribal dance and music and ate a romantic candlelight dinner by the big infinity pool another night. We stayed in the tent for two nights which was the nicest tent I have ever seen, Outdoor showering is fabulous! Our last night we moved to a luxury suite with a private pool, again blown away, It even has a fireplace, very romantic! The staff was extremely kind and helpful. We will definitely return here in our future travels.

Room Tip: The tents are fabulous unless you see the suites, then you will have to stay there!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple