All reviews southern camp luxury suite game drives safari experience the reserve family suite private pool high tea singing and dancing buffet style ranger mike bush walk south africa their natural habitat cape town morning drive amazing experience
Reviewed October 4, 2018

Spent a month in South Africa with my girlfriend. We went to 4 different safari locations. The facilities (Rooms/Spa) at Kapama were very nice. BUT why people travel from all over the world is for a safari. The safari was an absolute joke. People literally feel asleep in our vehicle. It was staged where they knew the animals would be absolutely no "searching" for animals you just killed time till it was your turn. The lack of knowledge from our guide compared to the other 3 safari locations was appalling.

We skipped the last day and went to the spa. Which was very nice.

Mentally think Busch garden with a bunch of college kids taking you on a tour . Who ever gave this 5 stars I want to give you a hug. You missed a good time in South Africa.

Room tip: Don't buy one
5  Thank Jim L
Reviewed September 26, 2018

My husband and I visited Southern Camp and were blown away from the moment we drove in! You will want for nothing and really don't need to bring anything with you other than clothes. The rooms are beautifully appointed as are the common areas. We really didn't know what to expect as it was our first safari but the team at Southern Camp makes you feel at home and I actually couldn't believe how low key and relaxed it was. The property itself is beautiful and it's easy to simply enjoy just being in the bush, even in the absence of animals, although you will see many! Our guide was Mike and our tracker was Selby and I truly can't say enough about what these two added to our experience. Mike is incredibly knowledgeable about the bush, animals of all shapes and sizes and is full of fun facts and surprises. He is very aware of the hospitality portion of his role making him extremely guest conscious and a great conversationalist. One of the most enduring traits Mike has is that his love for the bush creates an unusual dynamic where he has this old, wise soul and at the same time is able to create this amazing, contagious, child like sense of wonder. It's quite remarkable. Selby was a true Shangaan and a great tracker. He didn't speak a lot of English but it never deterred him from trying to communicate. He was a great tracker and teacher. Both myself and my husband had a profound respect for these two and it makes my heart happy to have shared such a special experience with them. If you have the chance to do the same.....take it!

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank amyhE6128BG
Reviewed September 20, 2018 via mobile

Ok - so given this is my first time to Sth Africa and also my first ever safari experience, in absolutely ecstatic with my choice of Kapama Sthn Camp.
Having no idea what to expect, we flew to Hoedspruit from Cape Town and the camp is only 20 mins from the airport (however you very rarely hear a plane landing.)
This camp only has 25 villas and we upgraded to one with a plunge pool. However the pool water is SOOOO COLD that we couldn’t use it. Notwithstanding - we had Impala by the dozen coming up to our pool to drink as well as warthog and their babies so it was worthwhile. The service here is outstanding and genuine (which you can pick when you’re well travelled right?)
All alcohol of all types is fully included- except some major premium brands. So your additional spend is minimised. The food is exceptionally good too.
We had a guide named St John who is a walking encyclopedia of everything botanic and animal related. Not only have we seen the big 5 - we had a close encounter with elephants at the elephant orphanage which was pretty much a life changing experience.
I would highly recommend this camp for service, food and the fact that your safaris are never going to be too busy due to the size of the camp. It’s the experience and intimacy provided by the field guides which largely differentiates this one from other camps in the Kapama Reserve at least (keeping in mind I haven’t tried others). I could have submitted more photos but it wouldn’t let me!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Michelle W
Reviewed September 17, 2018

I went in not knowing what to expect, as this was my first experience at a game reserve. I came home in tears missing the place, people, and wildlife. The staff at Kapama were all extremely kind, helpful, communicative, punctual, and patient. It felt like a strongly knitted community of people who equally loved nature, animals, and shared a passion for hospitality.

I was lucky to have had a group that worked well together, so our drives and meet were efficient and stress-free. I also want to give a personal shout to my guide, Lucia, who went above and beyond in sharing the world of animals. She has a deep love for them, and is grateful for the world around her. She shares her dreams that inspire people to contribute more to the well being of wildlife. Her knowledge is incredibly deep and her spirit was always fun and easy to talk to & laugh with. It felt very bittersweet to leave as I had begun to feel an emotional attachment to her, and the world she shared with our group.

The park was beautiful with so much to offer, and plenty of opportunities to see most of the Big 5 plus so many more! The entire lodge had a very efficient system in regards to check-in, meals, meets, drives, group assignments, transfers, spa appointments, and everything in between up to check-out. It made our stay worry-free, easy to follow, and just so memorable.

Thank you Kapama team for creating such a seamless, perfect, beautiful, and unique experience.

1  Thank april23993
Reviewed September 6, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I booked a villa for 3 nights in Southern Camp. The experience was exceptional and blew our minds!

The room was beautiful and luxurious and every detail was considered.

The game drives were better than we had expected. Our guide (Yuri) and tracker (Sebelo) were knowledgeable, passionate, fun and excited. We also met wonderful people. We saw the big 5 but SO much more as well. They thought of everything — even gave us warm blankets for the morning drives and had coffee breaks.

Food was delicious and plentiful (don’t miss Sam’s dance moves at dinner!).

This was one of the most memorable of all our travels. We could have stayed longer. Worth every penny. Highly recommend!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank shanna_q_leonard