“Stay away from this place!”

Ramada Ruidoso Downs
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Ruidoso Downs
austin
“Stay away from this place!”
Reviewed 6 January 2010

Rooms were dirty..housekeeping was poor. The owner/manager was rude and making false accusation. He was making loud comments in the hallways!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank aussammy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Waco, Texas
Reviewed 21 August 2009

We traveled to Ruidoso for my son's wedding with his aunt, his 88 year old grandmother in a wheelchair, and 98 year old great-grandmother who uses a walker. We reserved two handicapped rooms through hotels.com because it was the phone number that came up on an internet search.

The week of the trip I called direct to the Ramada to ask about getting a meeting room and was told they didn't have one. At the same time I had them confirm my two handicapped rooms, which they did. When we arrived we were told we only had one handicapped room and one king room. They blamed hotels.com even though I insisted that they verified having my reservation correct 4 days before. Was told nothing could be changed because it was a hotels.com reservation! One that should have been correct!

Of course there were no more hc or even double rooms available so we had two horrible nights and some hurt feelings because of the mix-up. They did offer us a large suite (1 king bed and a couch) for my husband and I and great-grandmother! Then the handicapped bar above the toilet was barely attached and fell. Luckily, no one was hurt.

The rooms were clean, the breakfast adequate, and the manager did try to help. We made do.. but what a horrible thing for such a special weekend.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank texastunis
Central Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We stayed at the Ramada in Ruidoso Downs for several days during July 2009 and found the hotel to be OK. We had a standard king room (handicapped) that was very large and had a microwave and fridge. It was clean and the bed was good. The hotel was practically empty during the week with a few more guests arriving on the weekend so it was quiet. The room AC was good but the hallways and elevator were uncomfortably warm. The maid service was good.

The thing that is really irritating is that breakfast is pitiful! They served cold pancakes or waffles as their "hot food". You had to heat them in the microwave or toaster. No bacon or sausage or scrambled eggs at all. No waffle machine. Only a few donuts, bagels, breads. They also had cold, hard-boiled eggs but who knows how many days they sat there becasue nobody seemed to be eating them.

Overall, I would stay there again for the price but plan on going out for breakfast.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
cheyennedonna
Reviewed 5 July 2009

On Sat July 4th I checked in to the Ramada in Ruidoso Downs. I had a confirmed reservation and a price of $103. At check-in the person on the desk, whom I assume was owner or manager became very upset at my rate, asking me how I got that price etc. However, he checked me in. At checkout next day I was presented with an invoice for $172. plus tax and told my rate would not be honored and that I should take it up with my travel agent or whoever gave me the reservation. Is this how Ramada treats customers? I thought a confirmed reservation and price was just that, confirmed. Is this corporate America at work today?

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cheyennedonna

Travellers are raving about these Ruidoso Downs hotels

East Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2008

Our room was nice and clean and a decent price. We were happy with the motel itself. But we had the same experience as many others who have left reviews here: we got double-charged after they "couldn't find" our reservation. We reserved the room through TripRewards, but the manager claimed he couldn't find the reservation when we arrived. We thought that was odd, but figured it was a computer glitch that never went through. (He also said something about not knowing where his glasses were, but they were sitting on top of his head.) It was during the week, and they weren't booked up, so he offered us the same room at the same price we'd reserved. That was fine and we enjoyed our stay. Low and behold, when we got our credit card bill later in the month, we definitely got charged twice: once for the reserved room and once when we had to check in again. We figured the manager probably wouldn't help us, so we simply called our credit card company to dispute the one charge. We told them the story and they got the charge removed in about a week.

This is a nice motel to stay at, good rooms and all, but be prepared to be double-charged and have them "lose" your reservation. I don't know if they're just mentally incompetent or if they're seriously trying to rip off the customers. You're better off personally checking in at the front desk than making reservations.

• Liked — nice motel, good room
  • Disliked — they "lost" our reservation and we were double-charged
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed 25 February 2008

This place has a great atmosphere to it. I just stayed here and the manager and his wife are super nice. They really know how to take care of their guests. A jewel in the rock, a great experience. I visited some friends in the area and stayed here, they were very accomodating to my needs. I highly recommend this place to anyone visiting the area. Will definitely return!!

• Liked — Friendliness of Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing - loved it. Very Accomodating!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 February 2008

This place is disgusting. Heed the other warnings! Please don't stay here! Keep away! Danger, danger! Yuck!
People may have died here!
We stayed here and were not happy, it's dirty, very very dirty.

• Liked — Ummm...nothing really
  • Disliked — Everything: overpriced, stinky, dirty rooms. Unsympathetic staff.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
5.0 km away
Hotel Ruidoso - Midtown
Hotel Ruidoso - Midtown
#7 of 23 in Ruidoso

Been to Ramada Ruidoso Downs? Share your experiences!