I stayed at Simbavati last september and really enjoyed it. The setting is great - right on a river, so with a lot of animals and birds coming to drink. From the main deck, restaurant and boma, you can enjoy views of the river. The bungalows (good for families and with direct river views) and tents are comfortable, with everything you need, but not as luxurious as in other places (not meant as critism). My tent had a nice big indoor bathroom with a tub, and an outdoor shower (other tents have a indoor shower, and a outdoor tub), which i really enjoyed. Its great to shower outoors, under the open sky, and observe a nyala or bushbock whilst showering.
I had some great sightings on the game drives whilst at Simbavati. Also, really tasty food, good athomsphere, lovely management couple (Elmarie and Charly). However - The most important part of a fantastic safari / lodge stay, is for me - the Ranger (and to lesser extent the Tracker). Chris, our Ranger, found us some amazing sightings, and was really nice, but - and I'm not sure how to correctly explain this in english - was giving us guests a little bit the feeling that we where in the jeep because we are paying guests and he had to keep us happy, but he would rather be driving around on his own.
Overall, I think if Simbavati was the first lodge in Africa I had ever visited, I would be giving 7 stars for it and would absolutely love it. Comparing it to the 20 or so other lodges I have visited in the last 4 years, I can say that it is very good value for money, a lovely place, but not on my top 5 list I have to visit again in South Africa.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Simbavati River Lodge is situated in the northern sector of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, and surrounded by 12 000 hectares of wildlife and rich wilderness in which you can experience an authentic and affordable African safari.The design of this 4-star lodge is contemporary, warm and welcoming. Guest common areas offer a generously proportioned lounge, bar, boma and extensive decks with breathtaking views overlooking the Nhlaralumi river where regular wildlife sightings take place and guests can unwind.Accommodation consists of eight luxury tents and three chalets; all are privately situated, comfortably furnished and with en-suite facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Simbavati River Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Simbavati River Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Simbavati River Lodge South Africa/Timbavati Private Nature Reserve