All reviewswilla catherthe main housesteeped in historyclaw foot tubtwin bedsperiod furnishingsworld heritage siteprivate bathgeorgia o'keeffecarved doorswi fino air conditioningits heydayice waterfresh fruitvery special placefrom texas
Reviewed February 1, 2017 via mobile

It feels a little strange opening up the beautiful door and stepping in -like you were expected. The lady in the office/gift store was so nice and welcoming. She told us to have coffee and cookies. And we did. First time I heard about ms. luhan was in an upper division college class and the subject was the artist colonies in early 20th century America. So, I think I was a pilgrim, really. In awe. So I sat down in the chair and absorbed. And ate the cookies.

Really loved the fabulous kitchen, huge but also scaled down to just the right dimensions. Then, took pictures of the DH Lawrence privacy windows on the second floor. I thanked my college professor.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth W
Reviewed January 4, 2017 via mobile

We spent the night of New Year's Eve here after an early dinner as we are past the age of excessive partying. Our room in the auxiliary building was quite spartan with no TV which was fine. We built a fire in the kiva fireplace and enjoyed a bottle of champagne which we brought. We turned in at 9 p.m., but we're awakened by loud booms at 10 p.m. Once we figured out that it was fireworks from the Plaza a few blocks away, we went back to sleep. The breakfast featured a vegetarian frittata, buckwheat pancakes, crispy bacon, oatmeal, yogurt, muffins and fresh fruit. Our table mate was a repeat visitor and we met another couple who come frequently. There is a peacefulness about the property and a peek into the simplicity of a different era.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed October 27, 2016

Mabel is fascinating woman and her spirit lives on in her house. Interesting to learn about her. Each room is unique - I'd ask about which room you are getting - some better than others. Well worth the trip. Also, the food is AMAZING!

Stayed: May 2016
Reviewed October 25, 2016

I was expecting more from my stay.
The exterior lighting seemed extremely poor and quite unsafe when it got dark.
The grounds seemed unkempt.
My room was clean but seemed to need some updating.
The main house was interesting
The breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank kits90
Reviewed October 18, 2016

My stay at Mable Dodge was something beyond special. Let me state right at the beginning that if you are looking for a modern hotel with hundreds of megabytes of Wi-Fi in every room and a 42" TV at the foot of every bed to entertain you without even leaving the room, then I would suggest something like the Sheraton or Hilton in Albuquerque. But if you are looking for a B&B that is wholesome, quiet, earthen, original, romantic and with direct access to the mountains of New Mexico, then this is the place for you.

Mable Doge Luhan House is a place to get away from the immediacy of life. It is a place to bathe in history (Dennis Hopper owned the property for a while) and to just enjoy being alive and enjoy the slower pace afforded by the log fires and numerous corners both outside and in where you can sit and talk or play a game or plan your next hike into the surrounding mountains. I would suggest that this is not a place for the younger, more impetuous folks looking for loud music and raucous bars. You are more likely to find calm, relaxed and serene older folk wiling away their hours, painting the surrounding views or just sharing quality time away from the rush of normal life.

I was there as part of an organised workshop retreat, the subject of which was self exploration, something well supported by the atmosphere inherent to the property. They have a fabulous yoga studio, massage rooms and a large group room for workshop activities. And for when you are not in some sort of classroom or for those there just for pleasure, there are numerous places to sit by a fire in great comfort after a long day out and about.

All of the rooms that I saw were extremely comfortable, many featuring open log fires. I was in the Robinson Jeffers room to benefit from a king-sized bed. I was very comfortable in this large room and so appreciated the stunning peace and silence at night. And I loved the relaxed nature of the old-fashioned décor; it is all so much more authentic than so many modern hotels that try so hard to create old-fashioned charm and yet fail dismally. I will just say that whilst the Solarium room has the most incredible views of the surrounding mountains, you'll need to be pretty young and nimble to climb the steep steps up to this room and you will wake with the sunrise thanks to the almost 360-degree windows without a curtain in sight.

Being there as part of a retreat group, working all day, we enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner from their wonderful kitchen. For such a low-key and relaxedly simple B&B, the food was really something to behold. The staff were all so kind and determined to please. They looked after us so well and I can say without doubt that I have seldom enjoyed such reliably delicious food from a bed & breakfast. If you are only there for breakfast, you will not be disappointed. And coffee, tea and sweet nibbles are there to be enjoyed throughout the day for all guests.

I would return to this fabulous hideaway with hesitation. The staff are charming: the rooms are wonderfully comfortable and old-fashioned; the food is excellent; the location is perfect if getting away from the vagaries of life is your objective. It is a spiritual hideaway for those seeking serenity and authenticity. Settle in, turn off your mobile devices, breath in the stunning mountain air and enjoy life one minute at a time. Oh yes: there is Wi-Fi in the main building.... only, which means you won't be able to lie in bed checking Facebook..... thank God!!! Enjoy your stay- Mark.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely: but the rooms in the main house are linked to and closer to the dining room if this is important to you.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business