“Immaculate service and exceptional rooms”
Review of El Monte Sagrado

El Monte Sagrado
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed 20 May 2012

This is the place to stay while vacationing in Taos. It's a little pricey but worth every penny. The staff is more than helpful and when it comes to suggestions of other places to dine in Taos, their suggestion of Grahams Grille was perfect. The rooms are plenty large and the decor is really nice. Everything is in walking distance, even the Historic Plaza. We saw the Monkey Feeders perform last weekend and for a small town band these guys rocked the Anaconda Bar.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

We stayed in the Tibet suite #28. The bed was hard, couldn't figure out how to use the fireplace, the courtyard could have been beautiful, but was overgrown with weeds and not kept up. The room service was terrible and the wait staff that delivered it was poor as well. They boast a great wine list. However when you order your $500 bottle of wine, they serve it in ordinary glasses! They didn't have any crystal stems, not to mention good crystal stems. The service staff in the restaurant was terrible! Not attentive and had an attitude of "I could care less"! We will not stay here again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

2  Thank Martinj911
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Just spent a couple days in taos. This hotel was fantastic. Rooms are large beautiful can't say enough. Close enough to taos square (10 minute walk). We enjoyed walking the hotel grounds, sat around outside fireplace on chilly night, great hot tub in pool area although pool itself too cold to swim. Would stay here again no doubt.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

This property is part of the Kessler Colection by Marriott which takes a upscale independent hotel and merges it with Marriott brand(service) and the Kessler collection who is known for his diverse and interesting independent hotel brand that displays a variety of Art rich in cultural.
We came to Taos to celebrate a long time family friends wedding. The Ceremony and Reception was all at the resort. The Ceremony was outside and was done beautifly. Our room was great it almost had a classy hunting lodge feel. Cool bathroom neat shower and a larger size tub but I'm a dude and i only take showers. Plus i just would not want to use a bathtub in a hotel "Personal Preference. The Beds were comfortable that if course it had the good bedding package It also had a cool throw blanket that would help in the Winter. The entire staff were very personable. The propertybead different buildings that ran up the hill side kind of like Southwestern Adobe Apartments. The rooms had nice balconys, fire places, safes, Bose Stereos, and of course flat screens. Depending how much you are willing to spend they have some amazing guest rooms each room has a different ethnic vibe that are spaced all through the grounds. The property has long stretch of grass that divides the buildings were the kids could play some football or do avariety of activitys. On what I believe was the West Side of the Property was an cool pond/stream that had mini water falls but Definatley streaming water that
was very soothing. There is a great Spa if you like that stuff, small fitness center and when we arrived they were even Barbaquing outside on one of the patios. There is a classy bar in the main lobby. It has flat screens and lights up pretty cool in the evening. So know that I mentioned what I enjoyed about (which I probably did not do it justice because there is too much to describe but i did my best. I have to mention my 3 complaints.

This what i did not enjoy about my stay. The AC in our room did not work upon my arrival. The engineer (great guy, but forgot his name) he got it to work kind of sort of. However not the end of the world we were in high elevation so It could have been Worse. The gentleman did his best to fix it, it's not his fault the unit shoukd have been replaced or kept under maintenance until it was fixed. The main complaint was everything was outstanding from the ceremony to the food at dinner and service through the reception. But at the end of the evening all the guests and family that ranged from aged 23-85 years old had moved outside to let the staff finish break down the banquet room. We were enjoying a nice evening just chatting wirh each other because the open bar was done as well as the music. When all of a sudden the two evening Managers and and 3 staff members just came through like Rude Airline attendants making sure we finished up because you wanted to go home. Look I have stayed at many hotels where hotel functions can cause disturbances with other paying hotel guests. But everyone was calm and not affecting anything. In conclusion there is a proper and professional way to end banquet functions. Your banquet catering managers need to work in this. Our entire party were surprised you ended an event like we're Bums off the street. I am a Plaitumn member with Marriott and the reason i do pay more to stay at Mariott prooerties us the level of service far exceeds all other brands. I can guarantee those staff members "completed At your service" Training but I don't think they listened to the part about service excellence while remaining professional and Curtious. My last complaint is your weekend breakfast buffet is over priced. You either need to include more choices or reduce the price by $8.00. There was nothing wrong with it everything was fresh but I can name at least 5 full service brands that offer more for half the cost . You also had a young lady working in the Restaurant she was with short brown hair and she was an extremely hard worker. She was very friendly and should be recongized and commended for her service, she genuinely cares about her job. I do apologies about the length of this reviiew this is the short version. If anyone is traveling to the Taos area and wants a unique and memorable experience that values what full service really is I highly recommend this property. I may have specific expectations when it comes to guest service, It's real simple do they care. These folks will take care of you.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 5 May 2012

This property is beautiful, but has some issues. We stayed in a casita. Our air did not work and we had skunk visits the night we stayed so couldn't open the windows. The room was a little long in the tooth. Walls in the bathroom were beat up and lamp shade was ripped and sofa in the brochure picture had been replaced with a single chair. Most concerning, was sand/dirt on our sheets. We think it maybe fell from the ceiling or vent which was right above the bed. I don not believe we had dirty sheets. The food was very good and the service was friendly, though the only comment about our concerns at check out was "gosh, I'm sorry". Not sure we will give this one another chance.

2  Thank Dragonlady11
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Visiting the spa has become an annual ritual. Heidi Gates is the massage therapist I ask for every time. She is extraordinary in her technique, and her presence in assuring you have an excellent massage is like no other. Worth every penny.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Beautiful buildings and grounds worthy of Better Homes and Gardens. We upgraded to the suite room. Wow! What a bath. A deep long tub. Problem was that there were 3 steps up to the rim and none down. You have to hold onto what looks like a stripper pole to step down about 30 inches. Another problem is that the toilet kept filling with water about every 10 minutes. I'm a light sleeper so it kept me awake. We notifed the front desk but after two days nothing had been done. And while speaking of the bathroom, a quality two ply toilet paper would have been welcome rather that single ply from the lowest bidder.
There was gas firplace in the living room area that was controlled by a timer. Very nice. Also a balcony that overlooked a pond and man made stream. Cool! We walked the grounds and it reminded us of a botanical garden. We ate breakfast and dinner on time each. Satisfied with the food and price, except the milk my wife ordered was soured. Yuk! We did use the pool and found it very enjoyable. The jaccuzi jets were strong and the water warm to hot. Ahh!
All in all we'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose one that does not have a leaky toilet that keeps running! And one with a balcony overlooking...