“Everyone should do this at least once. I can't wait to go again.”

White Shark Diving Company
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: White Shark Diving Co specializes in exclusive GREAT WHITE SHARK adventure tours in Gansbaai, Western Cape, South Africa. Rated #1 by industry peers, we strive to deliver excellence by being the only Shark Cage Diving Company to offer exclusive & private tours with limited seating capacity for extra comfort, safety and dive time! We are the exclusive carrier of all International Celebrities, VIPs and Sporting Teams. White Shark Diving Company have been advocates for the protection of the Great White Shark species; by pioneering sustainable methods of practice, founding and funding scientific research initiatives and being a key player in the development and implementation of The Great White Shark Protection Foundation of South Africa.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed 27 September 2017

WSDC is one of the best deals on a once-in-a-lifetime experience that one could ask for. I had previously priced the Guadalupe island Mexico cage dives with white sharks and they're several orders of magnitude more expensive than this.
The crew is knowledgeable and very capable and managed to attract and identify several species of shark, including two white sharks which they managed to get very near the cage. I say that this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience because I think that everyone curious about these magnificent animals owes it to themselves to do it at least once. However, I am hoping to go back again next time i'm visiting my relatives in ZA. The animals are breathtaking and have surprising degrees of individual personality and there's a marine biologist on board to answer questions you may have about behavior, home range, diet etc.
There is also a professional photographer who gets footage from outside the cage that is going to be better than anything you're going to get on your gopro without doing something unsafe and prohibited like sticking your hand out of the bars. Just pay the reasonable 350 ZAR for the thumb drive (shaped like a white shark) at the end and you'll have the best footage of the day in addition to whatever you snapped.

The experience is safe, comfortable, affordable and extremely good value. I thought the food and coffee were quite good too - although I only mention this because having read some of the other reviews I honestly can't believe this even figures into the experience, but someone was very upset that no bacon was included at breakfast. I suppose that's the sort of person who would complain that the Chilean Sea Bass served at Jurassic Park had bones in it?

For those coming from Cape Town, the drivers will likely collect you between 4 and 5 AM, but you can get another 2 hours sleep on the way to Gaansbai.

I was slightly skeptical going into this experience that we'd even see anything, since there are plenty of days that these animals will not be cooperative or the conditions won't. All in all, I couldn't be happier with the experience and the people. From start to end, this was well done, well organized, efficient and the end result was truly unforgettable and genuinely awesome.

WhiteSharkDivingCo, Manager at White Shark Diving Company, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

WOW! What an amazing review and testimonial - thank you Brian!
Our crew and staff love working with/for these beautiful creatures and it is our privilege and pleasure to introduce our guests to the Great Whites (and other wildlife) in their natural habitat, sharing our knowledge and passion for them.
Safety, education, respect and research, while having fun, are our priorities! :)
We appreciate your recommendation and kind words and we're looking forward welcoming you back on board White Shark some day soon!
Best wishes and safe travels

Reviewed 25 September 2017

I chose White Shark Diving Company after doing some online research and comparisons and they did not disappoint! Great communication and coordination via email leading up to the trip. We booked our trip for a Wed. but weather conditions forced us to delay the actual excursion until Friday. I recommend making sure you have a good 3 day window that could work for you. The transport was very smooth (2 1/2 drive to/from Cape Town) and everyone was very friendly, helpful, and professional. The driver was lively and informative and even made several stops on the drive back for everyone to take pictures and do some whale watching. The employees at the actual Gansbaai site were super informative and helpful. We were served a quick breakfast of eggs, cereal & fruit while getting briefed on safety procedures and what to expect while on the boat. Then it was a 15 minute boat ride to the shark cage. While the crew got the cage & bait ready, we were given wet suits to change into on the boat. It was wet & cold while we were out there, so I suggest wearing clothes that are easy to change into/out of. Make sure you already have your bathing suit on before getting on the boat, & stick to flip flops as shoes & socks will likely get wet with all the people getting in & out of water & trying to change into/out of wet wetsuits on a rocking boat. They gave everyone about 2-3 rounds of viewing the shark in the cage, which was really amazing. We were on the boat for about 1 1/2 hours & then we changed out of the wet suits & rode back to the Gansbaai site. I didn't bother trying to struggle back into my clothes on the boat, so I just stayed in my bathing suit & towel until I got back and changed in the bathroom. They served us a warm lunch of lasagna while they played the video footage of our excursion & then we all rode back to Cape Town. Great company!

1  Thank nireks

Thank you for your review and sharing your experience with us - it was great having you on board! Our crew and staff love working with (and for) these beautiful creatures and it is our privilege and pleasure to introduce our guests to the Great Whites in their natural habitat, sharing our knowledge and passion for them.
We appreciate your recommendation and kind words.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

I chose this company based on their profiles in tripadvisor and it was exciting and incredible because once in a life time that I had an opportunity to see Great White Shark. It was very freezing there, but couldn't miss the chance to encounter this apex predator. On that day, I encountered (if I hear correctly around 3 meters maximum). It was a nice experience even though the ocean was freezing and sharks were not that inactive.

Thank you for choosing White Shark Diving Company for your shark cage diving excursion - it was great having you on board! Our crew and staff love working with (and for) these beautiful creatures and it is our privilege and pleasure to introduce our guests to the Great Whites in their natural habitat, sharing our knowledge and passion for them.
We appreciate your recommendation and kind words.

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

We decided to spend our first anniversary with some sharks and we were not disappointed!
I chose White Shark Diving Company as was impressed with the website and also because they were one of the only company's who do this who referred to safety!
The day was fantastic! They provided transfers from our hotel and on arrival given tea, coffee and breakfast before settling down to the safety talk. These guys are professional and take their jobs and the protection of sharks seriously so when we started boarding the boat I was excited rather than terrified!
It turns out we had the best day the crew had seen on 17 years - 20 bronze whaler sharks and 6 great whites. It was out of this world seeing these creatures so close up and in their own environment. My husband who was initially not so keen on the trip ended up going in the cage twice - we loved it.
Highly recommend.

1  Thank Michelle G

You were indeed VERY lucky - it was definitely a day to remember!
Safety, education, respect and research (while having fun!) are our priorities! :)
We're equally happy that you've chosen White Shark Diving Company for your shark cage diving excursion. Our crew and staff love working with these beautiful creatures and it is our privilege and pleasure to introduce our guests to the Great Whites in their natural habitat, sharing our knowledge and passion for them. Gotta love nature's awesome surprises!! :)
It was great having you on board and we appreciate your recommendation.

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

We had the opportunity to dive with them and it was awesome! Although the water visibility on the day we went was pretty poor, we got to see about 4 or 5 different sharks including 3 great whites of which one was about 4 meters! Viewing from the boat was great as well. One came up to the bait which was about 1:2 meters away with teeth flaring! It was awesome! Crew was great and marine biologist on board we very friendly answering questions white observing the sharks as well! Only down side was if you don't see the sharks on the trip they give you a voucher to come back another time. Us being from the states will prob not be able to come back for a while at which time it would probably be expired. A refund would be better but this policy is still better than most. We had no need for a refund however viewing was awesome!

We appreciate your kind words and recommendation and it was great having you on board! Our crew and staff love working with these beautiful creatures and it is our privilege and pleasure to introduce our guests to the Great Whites in their natural habitat, sharing our knowledge and passion for them.