“Make sure to check whether any sharks have been seen the last couple of days! In case the answer is no, do not go”

White Shark Diving Company
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: White Shark Diving Co specializes in exclusive GREAT WHITE SHARK adventure tours in Gansbaai, Western Cape, South Africa. Rated #1 by industry peers, we strive to deliver excellence by being the only Shark Cage Diving Company to offer exclusive & private tours with limited seating capacity for extra comfort, safety and dive time! We are the exclusive carrier of all International Celebrities, VIPs and Sporting Teams. White Shark Diving Company have been advocates for the protection of the Great White Shark species; by pioneering sustainable methods of practice, founding and funding scientific research initiatives and being a key player in the development and implementation of The Great White Shark Protection Foundation of South Africa.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 21, 2017

The night before our shark cage dive we were informed that due to killer whales in the bay, white sharks have not been seen for a couple of days. We were given the option to cancel the trip, which was a nice offer. We decided to not cancel and go ahead with the trip, as the company argued that many other animals could be seen from the boat, like whales and many other types of sharks.
When we arrived at the location in the morning, it became clear very soon that there was no chance that we would see any white sharks. Groups that were searching for the sharks in the morning did not see anything, and appartenly this is a very bad year for white shark trips as the killer whales have been in the bay more often, resulting in no shark sightings for over 45 days! As we were not able to cancel anymore, we went on the boat and of course did not see anything, not even other sharks or whales. We therefore felt a bit mislead. If we would have known the whole story (killer whales release some kind of stress hormon in the water, resulting in the white sharks to disapear if they sense this), we would have made a more deliberate decision. On top of this, we only received 30% of our money back, whereas we learnt afterwards that other white shark cage diving companies provided discounts of up to 50% which seems a little bit more fair as you pay a lot of money for such a trip and you waste a large part of your day sitting on a boat waiting for nothing. I understand that the company makes costs for the boat and employees, but I would advice them to cancel the trips until sharks are spotted again as it is a huge disappointment not seeing anything. My advice: only make a trip when white sharks have been spotted in the last few days. Do not get lured onto the boat by the company saying that 'sharks can appear any moment again' as you pay way too much money to take this gamble.

4  Thank Traveller4826
in 16 reviews
"once in a lifetime"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed October 12, 2017 via mobile

This was the finale of our Africa trip and a birthday present...we were very excited to see some of nature's most incredible animals! The guide was good with alot of knowledge which we appreciated. Unfortunately there were no sharks during our trip, which is understandable as you can't predict nature. I am also a tour guide and completely understand this factor. However they were aware of orcas in the area scaring off sharks for the past week. Only after we arrived and paid were we made aware of this fact. After spending so much money for this activity it would have been nice to have a heads up about the conditions. We were told chances lately "were bad" about 5 minutes before getting on the boat. They did offer to go another day and up to two years but this was our last possible day to dive. In hindsight maybe we should have gone our first possible day in cape town to allow for another chance to dive... (But others were on our your who were unsuccessful the days before) If they can give a heads up about weather we would have appreciated the fact they knew it was unlikely to see sharks due to orca activity and could have made a decision to do it or not. But other then that I'm sure it's a great day when you do see them. And our guide really was knowledgable. We learned alot!

WhiteSharkDivingCo, Public Relations Manager at White Shark Diving Company, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2017

Thank you for taking the time for this review.

We understand your disappointment for not seeing any sharks from inside the cage and due to this unfortunate event, you have been issued with a voucher to join us again at no cost.

We're truly sorry that you weren't able to meet these amazing creatures in their natural habitat.

Dealing with Mother Nature & wildlife can be quite challenging.
Although our crew work very hard to attract the sharks close enough to the boat and cage, they do remain wild animals which we'll always treat with respect and compassion.

We sincerely apologise for any possible miscommunication.

We monitor shark activity very closely and inform clients accordingly. However, we will need some more information from you in order for us to investigate your complaint. Please be so kind as to forward your pre-trip correspondence from us, to: admin@sharkcagediving.co.za

Many thanks.

Best wishes

Paul Hammann

Reviewed October 11, 2017

There were about 24 passengers on the boat, about 16 of whom went into the cage. We got 1 turn of about 8 minutes in the cage, although some others got 2 turns. We saw 1 shark swim across us multiple times. The cage feels very safe, the mesh seems closer together than some other cages I have seen.

The staff baited sea birds throughout the journey so that they flew very close to the passengers which I didn't really like.

WhiteSharkDivingCo, Manager at White Shark Diving Company, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2017

Thank you for your review and for choosing White Shark Diving Company for your shark cage diving excursion.
White Shark (our vessel) accommodates only 22 guests and 5 crew members to ensure a more intimidate experience and we're sorry that you haven't been offered more cage-time. Safety, education, respect and research, while having fun, are our priorities!
We don't feed wildlife and will definitely take this observation up with our relevant crew member/s.
We appreciate you bringing this under our attention and for your recommendation.
Best wishes and safe travels!

Reviewed October 10, 2017 via mobile

I spent months researching this excursion as I didn't want to sign up to a dodgy company and risk my life- I started emailing the white shark company and they were so helpful and nice I figured this was the company to trust.
And I was so right, it was one of the most unbelievable experience you could have- we saw quiet a few sharks so close and due to the killer whale activity we were lucky to see any at all! The team were amazing and so friendly and I enjoyed it from start to finish! They also offer a volunteer programme which educates people about sharks and also lets you experience them first hand going out on the boat everyday- my partner and I will defiantly be back for It!
I would also like to add that the negative reviews below are only negative because they didn't get to see sharks- which is a shame but unfortunately wildlife can't be controlled and they will give you a voucher if you don't see any so you will get your money worth, it's not their fault if there aren't any sharks around. I'm a fussy traveller and I would go back with a drop of a hat so take it from me this is the company to trust!!

WOW! What an amazing review and testimonial - thank you Jade!
Dealing with Mother Nature can be quite challenging and although we love every moment of it, it is not possible to foresee what the following day or week will offer us.
Our crew and staff love working with/for these beautiful creatures and it is our privilege and pleasure to introduce our guests to the Great Whites (and other wildlife) in their natural habitat, sharing our knowledge and passion for them. Each day is different and a surprise and we're very grateful and blessed every time we encounter one or more of our beloved Great Whites.
Safety, education, respect and research, while having fun, are our priorities! :)
We appreciate your recommendation and kind words and we're looking forward welcoming you back on board White Shark someday!
Best wishes and safe travels

See more reviews
Reviewed October 6, 2017

White Shark Diving Company is a great little outfit. Manned by a fabulous, knowledgeable crew, they use a smaller boat than the other companies that I dove with. No worries, it's not like in Jaws where he says "You're gonna need a bigger boat" LOL, it's a fine size! The advantage to the smaller boat is more time in the cage because of the lesser amount of people and we certainly got that.
I went out with these guys in September and it was a great time. We travelled for about 15 minutes and saw a shark pretty much right away. The crew was awesome about letting people in and out of the cage and helping us find the perfect angle for the best shot! What I really liked about this company is that another boat hadn't seen any sharks so they invited the other boat over to view. It was a cool display of camaraderie instead of competition and that went a long way with me. If you're looking for a smaller, more intimate trip out, then this is the company for you. I believe they also do two dives a day so if you want to go out twice, they are very accommodating. Thank you White Shark Diving Company for the good times! Everyone is super jealous of my jacket when I wear it out too!

Thank you for your support and for choosing White Shark Diving Company for your shark cage diving excursion - it was great having you on board!
We prefer smaller groups for a more intimate experience and it is our privilege and pleasure to introduce our guests to the Great Whites in their natural habitat, sharing our knowledge and passion for them - even with our competitors/colleagues & their guests! :)
We appreciate your recommendation and kind words.
Best wishes and safe travels!