The night before our shark cage dive we were informed that due to killer whales in the bay, white sharks have not been seen for a couple of days. We were given the option to cancel the trip, which was a nice offer. We decided to not cancel and go ahead with the trip, as the company argued that many other animals could be seen from the boat, like whales and many other types of sharks.
When we arrived at the location in the morning, it became clear very soon that there was no chance that we would see any white sharks. Groups that were searching for the sharks in the morning did not see anything, and appartenly this is a very bad year for white shark trips as the killer whales have been in the bay more often, resulting in no shark sightings for over 45 days! As we were not able to cancel anymore, we went on the boat and of course did not see anything, not even other sharks or whales. We therefore felt a bit mislead. If we would have known the whole story (killer whales release some kind of stress hormon in the water, resulting in the white sharks to disapear if they sense this), we would have made a more deliberate decision. On top of this, we only received 30% of our money back, whereas we learnt afterwards that other white shark cage diving companies provided discounts of up to 50% which seems a little bit more fair as you pay a lot of money for such a trip and you waste a large part of your day sitting on a boat waiting for nothing. I understand that the company makes costs for the boat and employees, but I would advice them to cancel the trips until sharks are spotted again as it is a huge disappointment not seeing anything. My advice: only make a trip when white sharks have been spotted in the last few days. Do not get lured onto the boat by the company saying that 'sharks can appear any moment again' as you pay way too much money to take this gamble.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.