“superb service (including valet park), minimal choices, very expensive”

Bedford Post - The Barn
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Bedford
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Metro North to Bedford Hills Station.
Reviewed October 8, 2017

in the middle of nowhere so be alert when trying to find it for the first time - especially at night. easy to drive right past it.

parking valet service is courteous and efficient. the overall service in the restaurant - dinner on a saturday night - was excellent. only three tables were empty.

they have a large attentive staff. water was refilled without asking as well as delicious bread. asked for lemon and butter and, different from the vast majority of restaurants, these were delivered in a timely manner.

beautiful outside setting - we had a 7:00 reservation and got there in time to admire the setting. summer can eat outside. the inside design is simple and attractive. my one big gripe - the chairs are awful. awful. the back is crisscross wooden bars that literally create pain if you lean back. i am sure that these were not rested before ordering. most people do not notice because they don't lean back.

tables have a reasonable distance betwn them. the quietest tables are up against a banquette sort of away from the larger tables. when we were seated at 7:00 the table next to us had two young couples each with crying infants. another couple one table away had an infant as well but no crying. you would think you were at mcdonalds. i politely asked the table with two crying infants if they were just starting or near completion. as the daggers were sent to me i was told they are just about done. sorry, folks, a saturday night with two crying infants next to you at one of the most expensive restaurants around just doesn't compute. no further comments.

we shared the chopped salad - just enough for two. a bit bitter. i added more olive oil. overall it was tasty.

i had the salmon ($34). i did not realize it was not the kind i prefer. i think it was alaskan wild and it was prepared as requested but fishey and grainy - not smooth. that is the way it is supposed to be. i added squirts from 4 lemon quarters and it was ok. the risotto was tasty but not exceptional.

she ordered the full dinner portion ($24) vs the app size. my wife had the pasta w meat sauce. it was prepared al dente but bland. they did not offer shredded cheese.

they have a $25 hamburger if you are interested. yes, $25.

no dessert ($12) or coffee. one glass of pinot grigio - $13.

overall, great service and setting. also, nice bar and lounge area. restroom was immaculate.

expensive but i didn't feel anything was exceptional.

2  Thank Boxter98

Reviewed September 18, 2017

Brunch at the Bedford Post Inn used to be worth the trip. Not anymore! Yesterday, I called at 12:45 and was able to get a reservation at Baldanza at the Barn for 1:15. Shortly after being seated, we were told that the kitchen was backed up and that we would likely be served in a hour. When pressed, they couldn’t guarantee that we’d even be served in an hour. We got the feeling that they would have been ok if we had left. If there was such an issue in the kitchen it would have been nice to know before riding a half an hour to get there. We decided to wait it out and food was served in a hour. The food had slipped in quality too-- mediocre is the best description-- however the coffee was good. The Inn is a beautiful spot for lunch and dinner. I look forward to a new management group taking over soon!!!

4  Thank Tim L
Reviewed August 16, 2017

Menu accommodates most tastes, including gluten-free sensitivities. Service is accommodating but not overly attentive outside tables in nice weather are a nice place to enjoy conversations.

Reviewed July 22, 2017 via mobile

The restaurant is in transition, but my husband and I have been here twice and I have to say it's been good. We live locally and love the decor/setting. We have sat outside both times, b/c we came without a reservation, and we also prefer it.. I had the halibut the first time which was fresh and amazing.. but I have to say.. they have a "cauliflower steak" on the menu that is beyond delicious for anyone who is a vegetarian. Very fresh, innovative and I enjoyed every bite. It was served with farro and spinach.. a great dish!! Definitely returning.. the service was good too..I'm not sure what all the complaining is coming from..give it a try!

Reviewed July 22, 2017

We had dinner here tonite: my husband and myself and 2 grown up sons. The filet was good, the New York strip was tough, salmon was ok. I asked for something without garlic(am having surgery in 2 days) and the chef told the waitress that only the green salad didn't have garlic. They could have done a caprese, a piccata, a pasta, but they made no effort at all to try to accomodate me. There were 3 others ordering meals plus $130 bottle of wine. The salad was just romaine with a few strips of carrot and dressing so salty that I couldn't eat it.
I spoke to several friends a few days later and they had had similar problems. Stay away. Service was haphazard, the sommelier never refilled glasses. All very amateurish and unfriendly.

3  Thank ellentravels