“Filthy carpet and stuffy room”

Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Bronx
Detroit, Michigan
“Filthy carpet and stuffy room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

The room was very stuffy and dusty. The carpet was very filthy... one cannot walk bare foot in the hotel room otherwise you risk catching a bad disease. The bath towels were stained. Surely with the modern detergents and ways of doing laundry in the modern world....... this is unforgiven. I took photos of the hotel carpet.

Room Tip: Don't try
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank liwanji

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Irvine, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

Dirty, filthy, ugly, unsanitary, noisy place
Next door gangsters fighting and throwing each other against wall and floor at 3 AM
Staff is rude, inresponsive and useless
If you have car, drive to Manhattan or Yonkers, but stay away from this hotel that is below 1 star and expensive at $ 129/night

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank mikeusaca

Travellers are raving about these Bronx hotels

Queens, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

Given the bed bug infestation that was rampant in New York at the time, I was leery about staying anywhere! We had stayed here two years prior, so decided to book again. Not much has changed. I never see the hookers or drug dealers. I do see people outside the hotel a lot- waiting for the bus. The bed was comfortable, with the exception of the pillow. The shower was incredible! Hot, powerful and lots of settings to choose from. Our neighbors in the next room were a little loud, but quieted down pretty early. Breakfast is still a little scant, but enough till I get to the city. I never felt unsafe, my room was clean to the point of being spotless, and staff was friendly. The neighborhood did add a grocery store so that was new, other than that, the same neighborhood. Considering the Bronx Zoo is a half mile away, some restaurants would be welcome. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank salchow88
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2010

If you dont mind the constant rumble of trains, then I recommend this neighborhood. If not, try to get a room overlooking the freeway, little to no noise from the trains at all if you keep the windows closed. This would be my third time staying at this hotel. I particularly like it because of the close proximity it is to the subway and the bus routes that go by...and the large room space. I had no booking problems with this hotel. Only problem I encountered were roaches hanging around the Continental Breakfast counter &, although its heresay, some lady on the first floor came out here room terrified when she encountered a rat. Hotel staff, whom showed little remorse offered to get the rat and then showed it to the lady, making here even more scarred. You get pretty good WiFi signal downstairs in the lobby. If you dont mind trains this is a good spot. If you like peace and quiet, get a room on the opposite side overlooking the highway.

Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank EddieA1981
richmond va
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2009

I'm soo dissapointed with the way this hotel has no consideration and just takes your money unfairly I made reservations for 1 day and i was coming down from richmond va I got snowed in with a bad snow storm and called them told them i wouldn't be able to make it . I called 14 hours in advance and because it wasn't 24 hrs like the policy said they charged me full price for the room and didn't let me speak to hotel management and told me there was nothing they could do for me. I asked if my reservation could be changed for another date they still wouldn't agree and to know that this hotel is such a ripp off and the staff are so unproffessional doesn't surprise me at all don't stay here for nothing in the world ! I greww up in the area and know that it must be full of prostitutes and drugs just like what people were saying. I don't regret not making it there with my children...

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank bettyboo4e
TN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2009

My girlfriend and I came to NY to hang with mutual friends. We get to this hotel. Everything was fine till the last day. We paid for 4 nights. They call our room and tell us we owe them more money for the last night cause we didnt pay. The receipt I made them produce all of the sudden was missing the top sheet and you can see the torn paper that once was attached to the staple that is holding these other two sheets. This people argued us down. We paid and decided to waited to the next morning to talk with the manager who conviently left his daughter in charge who all the sudden barely spoke English vs ArabIc. After a long battle we got our money back, but learned a hard lesson. We would never stay their again. AND YES IT IS TRUE ABOUT THE PROSTITUES, AND DRUGS FLOWING THROUGH THAT FACILITY. Some of the prostitues left because we was making such a fuss over our bill. Hell No would never recommend this hotel

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank MsCampbell
portsmouth,nh.03862
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

Not good for family with children.Very unprofessional, drugs and prostitution throughout their facility and neighborhood. There was a bloody syringe in the hallway. Customer service desk was incompetent. I have stayed at numerous hotels and have never had the experience I had with your establishment.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family