All reviews great hotel new york yankee stadium subway station times square boston market south bronx bagels full length mirror coffee machine hard boiled eggs high ceilings yankees game never felt unsafe continental breakfast hidden gem boutique hotel
Reviewed October 5, 2018

My husband ran the New Balance Bronx 10 Mile this weekend, and for that reason we decided to stay right there in the Bronx area which is a first time for us.We stayed at the Opera House Hotel and it was an excellent option. It is only one street away from the 2 Red and 5 green metro subway stations. You can even walk to Yankee Stadium if you want to, so the hotel location is really convenient. The Opera House Hotel is like a jewel within that area of ​​the Bronx, mentioning that the neighborhood looks extremely dirty and the buildings are not really in good condition. Obviously that is not the hotel's fault or related to it, but it is something that we can not skip mentioning it.
The staff was very helpful and friendly. The Hotel, the room and dining room were extremely clean. The room is modern, spacious, and the beds are super comfortable. Microwave and mini fridge are always a convenience. The breakfast is included with hard boiled eggs, several pastries, different kinds of coffee, cereal, etc. enough for a good breakfast.
In your room you can find a newspaper made by the hotel itself, with all the information about the history of the Opera House, the Building and the hotel, including important people who performed (Houdini and the Marx Brothers...!) or have been there. Very creative!. We really enjoyed our stay in that hotel, although we need to mention that we did not totally liked that Bronx area. It was pretty uncomfortable to walk among so much garbage and while walking at night you can feel not very safe, or at least, you feel the needing to be really alert. It is a pity that this bureau does not receive enough attention.

Room tip: If you are a light sleeper, the rooms with a street view might no be your best option
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2018

We loved this hotel so very much. The staff - hi, Kevin!! - sweet to deal with from before we even arrived. The appointments, like in a Hollywood movie! This hotel is convenient to the subway, and has places to nosh right across the street, if you need a quick meal or snack. I have to be very honest with my readers, though, and I vowed to try and avoid four-star reviews, but, although the hotel is the seriously best ever, the neighborhood can be a little...unpredictable. But there is a constant police presence, as I think they have some sort of satellite center right there at the hotel. Very comforting, and if you are visiting the Bronx, as we were, to see the Zoo or whatever, this is the perfect place to stay in the city, especially if you want to use the subway, which we did. A lovely visit,and a lovely hotel!

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2018

I head to travel to the South Bronx for business and was looking for a decent hotel. I picked the Opera House for convenience of the location and price.

At first I did not expect a hotel in the neighbourhood and was pleasantly surprised once I stepped. The check-in was efficient and friendly. My room (standard king size) was spacious and had everything you would expect (safe, fridge, microwave, LED TV, cable). The free WiFi has a decent seed.

Food choices are somewhat limited in the area, except for a Boston Market across the street and some take-aways and fast food chains.

The subway station 149th and 3rd Av is 5 minutes away which makes the hotel even an alternative for tourists who want to go to Manhattan (14th St. Union Square station is approx. 20 minutes on the 5).

A basic breakfast is included - which worked well for me.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
emilio m, General Manager at Opera House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2018

Thank you for your review of our property! I am happy you enjoyed staying with us. If you ever need some restaurant choices while staying with us, we have created a PDF that can be downloaded that includes our choices for restaurants in the area, most within a 5 minute car ride from us! It is in the section of things to do while here at the Opera House Hotel. Our website is Operahousehotel.com

Reviewed October 3, 2018

We loved this hotel! It's absolutely value for money. Rooms are big and especially the bathrooms are beautiful. I could give it 5 stars if the wifi would have been included. I found out they charged us 70 dollar extra for 6 nights which is way too much I think. Another thing was the sound of the airconditioning (I think) that was very loud at times.
Otherwise a great place. The free coffee/tea/cookies at the mezzanine 24/7 are really nice. Breakfast was OK, not something to write home about but at least there was REAL silverware, not the plastic disposable stuff you find in most hotels.
The fact that the hotel is located in the south Bronx didn't bother us that much. We never felt unsafe, not even at night when we walked from the subway to the hotel (5 minute walk).

Date of stay: September 2018

Thank you for your review! We are so happy that your stay was a success with us! In the future, if you ever have AC issues, please call our desk and as it is central air and could possibly be something wrong with the unit. We hope to see you again soon!

Emilio Morales

Reviewed October 2, 2018

This hotel is nestled among restaurants, bars, shopping walk to eat, drink and steps away from the subway with minutes to Times Square!

The breakfast is awesome and plentiful, the staff is friendly and check in is a breeze!

• Trip type: Travelled on business
emilio m, General Manager at Opera House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2018

Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy that all was a success! We hope to see you again soon!