“Amazing”

Rio Tomatlan
Ranked #7 of 108 Restaurants in Canandaigua
Cuisines: Mexican, Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Here at Rio Tomatlán we pride ourselves in serving authentic Pacific coast cuisine prepared with the freshest locally and seasonally grown ingredients!
Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

If you enjoy Mexican food I would highly suggest Rio Tomatlan's.
I have been going there from the suggestion of a friend and I gotta say their food is absolutely amazing. I get a chicken chipotle dish with the refried beans and their cream cheese and it is delicious.

By chance our waitress came by with the wrong dish and ask if we ordered the shrimp and we said no sorry was the wrong table table.. but when I saw the dish of shrimp with the glaze sauce on it and the smell was unbelievable. I am definitely ordering that next time. :-)

I've been to Salinas and Rochester and thought it was good but there is no comparison and they also have all the tequila in the world you can imagine.

Our waitress was Becky and she was so friendly and so sweet and did such an outstanding job taking care of us. And my girlfriend is a vegan and they accommodated her perfectly and her food was also amazing in her eyes. Unfortunately when she went to pack her leftovers it slipped bounced off her lap and ended on the floor :-( and I certainly was not expecting anything except to tell Becky that there was a mess on the floor and we're sorry. But she insisted to make another half of what she had and bring it to us to take home. we thought that was so nice of her to extend that courtesy. :-)

It is a very interesting eclectic restaurant and it appears a little Bland from the outside but once you come inside it's all fun and they have a beautiful outside deck to accommodate the beautiful evenings we had this year.

The only thing that was a little strange was instead of having beepers that they hand you when your table's ready. They have what appears to be almost like tarot cards with pictures on them that match the picture they have. Then the poor waitresses and servers have to walk around the whole restaurant yelling whatever is on the card looking for the people. It is apparently a fun way to do that but that did not impress me. I felt bad for the staff having to yell and people at the bar to try to figure out who had what card. I definitely believe they should invest in buzzers as it would make things a lot easier on the patrons and the staff..

But in spite of that I would definitely make a reservation there and try out all the different foods.

We heard that a couple comes from Niagara Falls every weekend to enjoy the same dish and has been for quite some time so I think that speaks well of their food and service also.

And last but not least is their spicy guacamole appetizer... it is to die for :-)

Management response:Responded 19 February 2017

Thanks for your glowing words -- I'm glad we live up to your friend's recommendation. You can expect that same thoughtful service you received from Becky from everyone on our team. It's great you're already a fan of our chipotle chicken and spicy guac (even better that you have the shrimp lined up for next time)! Speaking of, myself and the rest of the team are looking forward to having you over again! - Brittany, Manager

Reviewed 17 January 2017

This place has amazing food and drinks. They also support local events for charitable organizations like ARC. The service is typically very good and well worth the drive down from Rochester. I have never been disappointed with my meal and they have many great GF options.

Management response:Responded 19 January 2017

It's great we make the drive from Rochester to Canandaigua worth it -- even better that our food and service hit the spot! Come by anytime for GF indulgence! - Brittany, Manager

Reviewed 17 January 2017

Went here with my husband, daughter and granddaughter. Waiter was excellent. Food was excellent. Will definitely return.

Management response:Responded 19 January 2017

Excellent cuisine for excellent guests! I'm glad the whole family enjoyed everything -- I look forward to your next visit! - Brittany, Manager

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

Tucked away in the village of Canandaigua Rio Tomatlan is an amazing Mexican restaurant. Our entire family loves the food, even our picky eaters. Authentic flavors and consistent quality bring us back every time. Interesting artwork on the walls and an eclectic atmosphere are a bonus.

Management response:Responded 12 January 2017

It's always a pleasure to hook even the most picky eaters! From the flavors to the decor, I'm happy the whole family is on board with what we're all about. Come by anytime! - Brittany, Manager

Reviewed 7 December 2016

This newest location for Rio is a big step up for them. Nicely remodeled and comfortable seating areas. Live music most weekends and a nicely stocked bar. Even when it looks crowded a table is never a long wait. Most important, the food is excellent and very reasonably priced. Sightly off the beaten path but well worth the trip.

1  Thank SecretSanta14424
Management response:Responded 14 December 2016

Thanks for this review! I'm glad you're enjoying the new location. You can always count on us for delicious food and fun times, so I hope your next visit will be soon!

Until next time,