“Never disappoints!”

Nelson Avenue Pines
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cooperstown
Nelson Avenue Pines
Ranked #10 of 29 Cooperstown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I recently stayed at the Nelson Avenue Pines for what was about our 8th time! When our children were younger we stayed there several times and after that my husband and I would go ourselves. I have even stayed there myself.

We chose a B & B because we wanted something charming, old, mysterious, quaint etc. I didn't even expect to have a TV in the room... but there was. I also did not expect a refrigerator since most hotels don't have them either.... but there was.

The breakfasts at Nelson Avenue Pines are wonderful! It is different every day! Belgian waffles, french baked eggs, fruit, juice etc.

The location is ideal! Walking distance to a lovely downtown that features the Hall of Fame, Doubleday Field, and delightful shopping all on the same street and right near beautiful Otesaga Lake!

Oh and did I mention how personable, bright and accommodating the owner is? Penney can answer any question you might have. She will make you feel like you have known her all your life and that Nelson Avenue Pines is your home!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank pjohnson35
There are newer reviews for Nelson Avenue Pines

Reviewed 10 July 2011

While the location was ideal for the area, we did not enjoy our stay. The room was ordinary, with a queen bed, no chair to sit on, a very small fridge and smaller tv. Bathroom was well- stocked with towels which was fortunate since we had no cleaning in our room during a 3 night stay. The room did not seem secure .. We couldn't lock it when we left and the house was left open all day. The only time we saw our hosts was at breakfast. We had chosen the place partly based on reviews praising the food and hospitality. I think we must have stayed at a bad time for the family. We were quickly shown into our room when we arrived as the host was leaving, with no deeper introduction to the house or area. The next morning I came down for coffee at 8, and it was on a small table, but luke-warm with no-one around to ask. Each day breakfast was served in stages.. One day with fruit, juice, muffins, eggs, and french toast - each item served in turn, with about 5 minutes between each course. The next day we had juice, fruit, and eggs - bacon was promised but never showed up.
As others have noted, the place has potential, but too many little things added up to make us feel we wish we had chosen somewhere else.

Room Tip: It seems that rooms vary in interior furnishings. The top floor unit may give more privacy, but doe...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cinder6681
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I stayed at the Nelson Avenue Pines B&B a few times. They had very low rates and were accommodating. The owners were always very pleasant and friendly. The rooms were nice with a minifridge, and cable tv.
The bed was very comfortable  with an adjoining huge well lit bathroom.
Each breakfast was a different meal, (French toast, pancakes, etc) served with an assortment of fruits and excellent an French baked egg.
They had a carafe of coffee as well as decaffeinated coffee.
Any questions I asked they always replied with a smile.

I would recommend Nelson Avenue Pines to all that are planning to voyage to Cooperstown.

• Stayed: March 2011
3  Thank Newenglander03
Reviewed 1 May 2011

My stay at Nelson Avenue Pines was my best experience ever at a B&B! The moment I arrived I was greeted with warm, welcoming smiles and was shown upstairs to a wonderful suite! Penney Gentile could not have been more helpful, and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Cooperstown. The breakfasts were delicious and the rooms were clean and beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank mmgags
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We had a strange experience at the Nelson Avenue Pines. We arrived around 7pm and no one was there! We called and after the second attempt someone picked up and told us to let ourselves in and go upstairs and find the room with our names on the door. There was no greeting, no warm hospitality that is expected at a B&B. The rooms were ordinary. Nothing quaint or charming about it. We kind of felt like we were just intruders in someone's house.

Pros
Close to Cooperstown
Delicious Breakfast
Clean

Cons
no way to lock your door when you leave and the inn is left unlocked 24/7...
no real comfy common area to relax
no afternoon coffee or tea available
no one to advise you on excursions aside from some pamphlets on our counter
no games
house is very noisy in terms of creaks and vents. enough to wake you up throughout the night
not a huge deal but we did not get the room we were told we'd be staying in when we booked

This was the 4th bed and breakfast we'd stayed at and by far the least impressive.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie090
Reviewed 4 July 2010

We loved our stay at Nelson Avenue Pines!! Penny Gentile is the perfect B&B hostess - so friendly and and helpful. She always has wonderful suggestions about where to go for whatever one might be interested in doing. She is also a wonderful cook. Loved the French cuisine for breakfast :) Large comfortable rooms - each one having its own distinct and authentic Victorian decor. My favorite room was the "attic" suite on the third floor with its own darling kitchenette. Nelson Avenue Pines is within easy walking distance from the village but also affords a view of Lake Otsego from the porch - where we ate several meals. So pretty. So relaxing. Highly recommended!

Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank spunky2010
Reviewed 18 September 2009

For the most part we were very comfortable at Nelson Ave Pines. The owner is a very nice, intelligent and knowledgeable person. In other words, it is not a big drag to have a conversation with her :).
This B&B is really in a super location, within easy walking distance (even for me!) of pretty much everything. You have to love that. The parking at this property is free, but seems like it"ll be tight when the house is full-we happened to be the only ones there for our two night stay ( mid-week between two "holiday/local events). Tight parking is the rule at many B&B's though.
The room itself (the one in the website with dark bedstead) is on the second floor up a very steep staircase. I personally love the old steep staircases. The major critique I and my husband had with the room itself was that the only lock for the door was a simple hook and eye latch, which can only be "locked" while you are in the room. These days I get twitchy not being able to lock my room door when I leave to go roaming about.
The room is of a modest, but ample size, connects on a little corridor that goes to owners side (kept locked) and across the corridor is the good sized bathroom.
The bedroom is nicely, but simply decorated. Has a queen sized bed (a bit hard), dresser, TV with great reception (thank god), settle, and a few other pieces of furniture-none match, but doesn't detract from the room....it's not "fancy", but nice. Has a closet, mini fridge. Very clean.
The bathroom is a very good size, has a big jetted tub, separate shower, nice neutral tiles.,several lighting "options" . Very clean.
The common area seems to be entirely in the dining room, so it's a bit of a tight fit. Lucky for us we were the only guests. There is the serving buffet, dining table, sofa, chair and several other pieces of furniture in there, perhaps a bit too much in that sized room. There is a small fridge and a small microwave there as well.
Coffee is self-serve, which is OK. She asked us our preference for the hot dishes, there was (excellent) local yogurt, also cereal if you preferred, and fruit, orange juice. I tried the french baked egg-was surprised that I liked it-it's cooked in a very little casserole dish, with cheese and herbs. Also had one piece of french toast that day-quite good. If you like butter, you may have to request it as it wasn't served either day with our breakfast,...we like our butter! Had the egg souffle the next day, very good! Waffle was also very good.
NOTE: Make dinner reservations if you want to eat in Cooperstown. Gets packed. Hostess provides good restaurant/menu info.
Now...I come to the bad bits, and nothing is serious :). These things I would very gently suggest to the owner could be considered as little ways to make a bigger positive impact on future guests.
The aforementioned "real" lock for the guest room door.
If insurance permits: iron and ironing board.
Real coasters. The little "bean bag" ones tried to make our glasses tip over :).
Have that missing knob on the dresser replaced (see, I'm nitpicking).
Little bathroom cups, and always a spare roll of toilet tissue would be a good thing.
In addition to the carafe of water perhaps 2 bottles of water in the mini fridge per day.
Some writing/reading materials in the room.
In addition to the provided pamphlets, more, and varied ones, about all of the other great stuff to do in Cooperstown, because it ain't all about the baseball!!
An little evening "snack", like hot cookies or cheese and crackers and a pitcher of tea or lemonade. Not elaborate, but it would be friendlier than the commercially produced and individually wrapped biscotti on the serving buffet.
And lastly, the artificial plants are threatening to take over the home, LOL. Less is more with those things.
Altogether a nice place in a great location run by a very nice person. The price is fair considering this is in a tourist town. This town, by the way, is not spoiled by being a tourist town as so many are.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple