All reviews darien lake theme park small fridge park tickets nice size lobby area enjoyed my stay convenience
Reviewed September 2, 2015

We stayed in the Lodge on the Lake and attended the theme and water parks so this review is covering all of that. I will put this review under both.

Hotel

Check in was smooth, we got in early and there wasn't a room ready so they gave us our wristbands and we went to the park for a while. The way from the hotel to the park was nice, it ran along the lake. It was paved, well lit and there were benches. Parts of the path were sketchy, huge tripping hazards, so be careful.

After we played at the park a bit, we went to check on a room. We booked a room with the bunks for our son. The room on the second floor seemed clean. The view was of the roof of the lower level. Seriously the worst possible view ever. Why they couldn't make a room with that view the housekeeping room is beyond me. No big deal though. The washroom was disgusting. Seriously the lobby washroom was cleaner than the one in our room (props for that lobby washroom being in great shape!) Anyway, the shower appeared to have mud slung up the walls, and the shower curtain.....I was hard pressed to find a clean spot on that thing so I could close it. I'm inking it looked like mud, but it could have been dried blood, or who knows what. Seriously, take that thing down and bleach it, folks.

We had a fridge and microwave in our room, both useful additions. The microwave in the room withy the vending machine and ice machine was loud. Try to get a room away from that area.

Now for the beds. I wish I did a better job investigating these bad boys. Typically I read about "sleep quality" and travel based on that. I have a horrible back history due to injury and I'm spoiled at home on my Tempurpedic, but usually I have luck when traveling. Well, not here. The mattress was old and worn and the most uncomfortable thing I have ever slept on. Even my husband, who can sleep everywhere, didn't sleep. It was so bad, even though we booked two nights, we went home early.

In the hotel we did eat dinner at that little food place off the lobby. The food was okay, but overpriced for the quality. Hot pizza was decent enough, the subs were really dry.

The small hotel arcade sells tokens, 4 for a dollar....each game was either two or four tokens.

Pool hours were 9-11am and 5-7pm or something silly like that. It was 90 degrees each day we were there and the pool was closed during peak hours. They said it was so they could staff the waterpark.....but nothing was really open at the waterpark either. I'll write more about that later.

Clear cost cutting measures done at this hotel. No pads of paper or pens to write directions down, no Darien Lake pens at the front desk for signing papers. Kind of weird.

I'd suggest stopping and getting water and snacks or food on the way. There is a gas station right before you get to the park. $3.18USD for a bottle of tap water is excessive.

Park

Where to start....barely any of the rides were running. The ones that were seemed to be run by some of the slowest, most unfriendly people on the planet. Why it takes 7-8 minutes to get prepared for the ride, only to run the ride 30-45 seconds is beyond me. I think both of these things are a result of the same cost cutting measures we see at the hotel. This is such an inefficient park.

One thing I observed while watching the scrambler was the employee not helping two kids off the ride. They didn't know how to get off, so he sauntered over slowly and pointed to the handle for them to pull and the proceeded to saunter slowly away. They still struggled, so he went back and did it for them, and as the smaller one was getting off, the thing closed on the poor kid.

We went to Tim Hortons a couple of times and that was painfully slow. I don't know if staff everywhere is working to rule, or if his town is just so relaxed and chill nobody sees a point in moving lines and keeping people happy.

The candy store across from the Tim Hortons was good. That staff must have forgotten where they worked. Or the sugar hypes them all up to a normal functioning, speedy establishment.

We got greasy food...food orders were not as advertised, meaning order chicken fingers and fries with blue cheese and you'll have to ask them for the blue cheese because they will not give it to you. The fountain drinks tasted like bleach. Stick to overpriced bottled beverages if you can.

It was insane to me how poorly the grammar is on all their signs. "Your gonna get soaked on this ride!" Really, Darien Lake? My what is gonna get soaked? If I had a sharpie, it would read "you're gonna get soaked...." as it should.

Water park

Paid for cabana specifically for the table side service. Cabana was comfortable, however when we went to get our storage key they said there would be no table side service. They claimed they tried to reach me the day before but I didn't get any phone calls or messages. We still paid full price for the cabana, and we were not offered any discount, and watched as everyone else had their shade and chairs they paid nothing for. We did get four bottles of water included in the $120 price though. Score.

The lazy river wasn't open. Neither was the tornado water slide, or the two huge slides. Only the wave pool and the two smaller slides. The line for the two smaller rides was about 45 minutes to go down once, because nothing else was open.

Food is the food from the theme park. Same greasy let down. There is a subway there if you need a veggie fix, but we didn't get to it. There were huge menus of all these foods to choose from but it seemed everywhere we tried to go we could get a pretzel (dry), nachos (alright) or chicken fingers and fries (bland). They advertised burgers and hot dogs and corn dogs and other types of food but we were always told "go over there" or "it's not here, you have to go to x location".

Overall, a huge disappointment.

3  Thank Beth C
Reviewed August 29, 2015

I have stayed at this hotel annually for the past 10 years. I am not a fan of camping so we stay at the lodge and usually get a kids suite. The hotel is compatible to a Days Inn. It serves a purpose - close to the amusement park, nice outdoor pool, reasonably priced. That said, I find that I know more than the staff does about the local amenities, the amusement park and restaurant options. When I check out of the hotel, the staff have never once asked me if everything was ok. The lodge does not have a 1-800 number (they want everything done by web). It can be noisy so don't stay here if you are looking to sleep in. A picnic table was positioned near our room so we heard loud smokers outside at night or kids bouncing a ball before 7:45 a.m. This email is not meant to come across as negative as I would not keep going back if I didn't value the family vacation destination. I want to see them succeed but they need to invest in training and motivating their team. Please also move the picnic tables away from rooms. We will be back next year and hope to see progress as we are loyal visitors. The amusement park is awesome.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor so you don't hear families above you.
2  Thank hipmomandwife
Reviewed August 26, 2015

Just returned from a 2-day stay at Lodge on the Lake. There is plenty of parking and check-in was a breeze, no crowds when we arrived at 1pm. The setting is much like a smaller-scale Great Wolf Lodge motif, only a little understated. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived so we went to the park. When we returned at 3 we were given our room on the second-floor. As soon as I opened the door the first thing I saw was a large rip in the sofa upholstery. No big deal, but not the best way to start. We also found the room to be pretty small, contrary to some reviews here that suggested the rooms were big.

That said, the hotel is clean and the staff is friendly, and you really cannot beat the convenience of a 5-minute walk around the lake to the theme park. The kids enjoyed the pool there as well, although a hot tub would also be nice.

We are not campers, so this is really the best choice if you're going to Darien Lake.

Room Tip: Get a first-floor room nearer the lobby- it might be a little noisier but your feet will thank you at the end of a day at the park.
2  Thank Smoochy W
Reviewed August 13, 2015

Just returned from 3 days at this hotel and amusement park. We actually had one more night and checked out a day early. I usually am very fair on my reviews and try to list the positive but I can not find really anything positive to say. The minute we walked in the park first day of our trip after driving 3 hours it started to thunder the whole park was shut down. Now I know they can not do anything about weather and it is for everyone to be safe. But what do they have to offer when this happens? NOTHING!! We told the girls we would go back to the room and make popcorn and rent a movie. Well that is not possible. They don't have movies. Called down to front desk they said some rooms have DVD players but our room did not. Ok well we will find a movie on the tv.. When doing that we noticed our volume did not work. Called down they sent a very nice maintenance man up and he said he would have to get us a new tv. That's fine we were happy with that. Until MICHELLE called from front desk and gave attitude and said she could move us to a different room but that was the only solution. Well think about this lets move 5 people that are already unpacked refrigerator stocked and by this time very cranky! She was rude and said she would have the manager call me. 5 minutes later MICHELLE called back and said they were sending a new tv. So why get me aggravated with her attitude? Is that not what I would be happy with in the first place? Anyway the man came switched the cable did not even replace the tv and we had volume! In 5 minutes the problem was fixed! Next morning we go for our breakfast what a nightmare!!! We were told to seat ourself if we could find a clean table! None were clean. When I asked the girl when they were going to be clean she said I am all you got. So when I get to it I will. Apparently they had a lot of call ins that day. So we had to clean our own table!! My daughter wanted milk for her cereal they said we could not have milk. They then removed the ceral off the line and other parents were asking well can we at least eat it dry?? With attitude the girl put it back out. The next morning at breakfast we could not have toast because the toaster was broke! Want syrup? Not here! The energy in the restaurant was so not good because everywhere you looked someone was mad about something! The park was fun when the rides were going but I really don't think this is a place you want to stay for more than one day. They say there are new owners well I hope he makes changes soon. Because this used to be a great place to stay!!

2  Thank MaryJo G
Reviewed August 3, 2015

We always enjoy our stay here! This is our 6th visit...our kids are 13 and 9 and it has something for everyone. It's nice to only drive a few hours and feel like your on vacation.

Stayed for 4 days...still here!

It was quite hot while we were here so we got to enjoy the water park...our son loved the new brain drain!

It's an older park but we like that...lots of character ...we love playing fascination at the Penny arcade...please never get rid of this game!

We have noticed many improvements...which we appreciate.
Grounds are cleaner
Most of the rides are running
Landscaping well cared for
Ignite the night updated and awesome!

We enjoy staying at the hotel and the management and their team are very helpful and professional! If we ever have a problem or concern they always try to resolve it.

Areas for improvement would be
~Healthier sides then just fries...after awhile it is hard to find food that is not fried...we did enjoy the onsite Italian restaurant though
~cleanliness of some of the washrooms
~attitude of some of the ride attendants ....they could be quite rude
~clear hours of when rides open???we would be told one thing and then get to a ride and be told another...park opens at 10:30 ... water park opens 11 am ... not sure why the log ride opens later since it is not in the waterpark? We did not appreciate how we were spoken to in front of our children by the older women operating the ride....really uncalled for...the gate to the ride was open...that is why we and several other people entered...remember we're here for fun.

Overall awesome stay.

Hints
Bring healthy snacks...there is a small fridge in the room..trust me you will crave healthy food after awhile...lol
General store has a little of everything you need but not much in the fruits and veggies so better to stop before or bring from home...just check what you can bring cross border if visiting from canada
Bring blanket to sit on during ignite the night show. Starts at 10 pm
Hoel has a nice little snack bar. Serves pizza till 11pm and timmies coffee in the morning
We found it better to bring Canadian currency since they accept it everywhere and at a better rate then if we had exchanged at a bank back home

Room Tip: All rooms pretty much the same...you can upgrade to pool view
3  Thank Happygotravel2014