“Disappointing”
Review of Harbor East

Harbor East
Ranked #44 of 72 Restaurants in East Hampton
Price range: US$16 - US$30
Description: The Harbor Group, lead by hospitality veteran James "Jamo" Willis (a native Aussie) brings his chic, cosmopolitan SydneyHarbor/St.Tropez/ tropical style to East Hampton, LI this summer, joining culinary forces with Andrew Molen of Todd English fame and celebrated chef Jason Hook. Their menu is described as"Traditional Beach Food" with a heavy focus on seasonal, local ingredients with a modern sensibility and approach to technique. Our menu definitly has a Mediterranean feel with a bit of Australian influence which marries well with all of our local fresh fish, shellfish, and produce. Our mission is to elevate what has been great for so long and to deliver a unique shore dining experience that is like no other. From fresh Crudo to our take on the Maine lobster roll to wood-grilled steak and line-caught fish with clam bake accompaniments steamed over sea water.. we wanted to touch all bases. Light, fresh, and bold flavors round out our overall expression!
Reviewed August 7, 2017 via mobile

Nice decor but everything else falls absolutely short. We had a few below average dishes and some terrible ones (overcooked, tough steak; cold, old-tasting scallops). Service was negligent and/or looked confused. They need to really pull it together. We're not going back.

Reviewed August 7, 2017

I wanted to take my son to a new place. Harbor East was billed as a hot spot. I think it is Fake reviews. Our food was expensive and not noteworthy. The service was mediocre at best. The staff tried but it was clear they were not well trained. The spot was cheaply built out so it is loud. Same price as some of the best restaurants in town and definitely not worth it. Only one dessert option.

Reviewed August 6, 2017

After an insulting start (the hostess rued to seat us at the worst table in the house when the restaurant was relatively empty), our dinner here was top quality. Tuna tartare with avocado was perfect and didn't leave the typical soy sauce after taste. Burrata was a great mix of firmnesses. Scallops, although a small dish, was excellent, as was the salmon. Interestingly there are no starches on many of the dishes. We liked that but some people might not. They could have a better wine-by-the-glass list. Very nice evening.

Reviewed August 4, 2017 via mobile

I was incredibly disappointed with my visit to Harbor East. To be fair, the ambience of the restaurant and decor was superb. However, my party visited for dinner. We skipped appetizers and ordered cocktails and entrees. Dinner took over and hour to arrive and the restaurant was pretty quite. The food quality was good, but all of our dishes were tepid and simply not worth the wait. The menu itself was very limited, which proved a challenge for my partner who doesn't eat fish! The cocktails were nice, so maybe just come here for after dinner drinks.

Reviewed June 3, 2017 via mobile

I'm so glad a place like this has opened in East Hampton (or the Hamptons at all!). I had such a wonderful experience. What can I say about Harbor East- it's a bit hard to put into words or context: you walk in and it feels new and fresh, and yet, like it's always been there in a warm familiar way... the owner, a handsome young blonde Australian man named Jamo, greeted each guest that walked in throughout the night. There's something about Australians that always is so friendly and inviting. Jamo is no exception. Ok, best I break this into two parts:

The Restaurant: Honestly, I didn't see this coming. I came in a group of 15 (!) and we started at the bar. My husband and friends had the Blood Orange Margarita and the Mezcal cucumber cocktail and I ordered the Bermuda Triangle (a light refreshing delicate rum cocktail that literally transported me to the clear blue waters of its namesake- also I don't drink Tequila). They were all delicious, let's just say we couldn't have just one. The bartenders were warm and attentive. We knew the drinks and the ambiance of the bar was impeccable, so at that point we didn't think much about whether the food would blow us away. We were pretty content. But...it did. The Thai mussel starter was the best mussel dish I've ever had. The coconut curry sauce is delicate yet really complex with rich flavor. I had to ask the server for a spoon to ladle up the remaining broth like a soup, much to the amusement of my fellow diners. Next time I'll be asking if they can do a larger portion as an entree. Many ordered the salmon (again, I don't eat salmon) but they all stopped in their tracks to flag down our waitress to tell her it was the best they've ever had. The filet mignon is the one that really surprised me. It rivaled that of a top notch steakhouse, perfect salt and cracked pepper and a dead-on medium rare preparation. Most restaurants put steak on the menu because it's a staple and has to be there. This was a standout piece- same with the scallops and branzino. We didn't get to try the lobster roll, but we did get an order of fries. They are the thin perfectly crispy ones you can pile high (and devour). Yum. We can't wait to go back and try the other menu items that we missed the first time around. One thing to also note is the presentation : the portions are perfect, they aren't overwhelming and actually the playing is quite calming and fresh. I think that might be the Australian ownership influence.

Late Night: Now for part II. Just as we finished up around 10pm and were contemplating whether to call it a night, the music (as if on cue) turned up a notch. We decided a few more drinks at the bar couldn't hurt. And to our surprise and enjoyment, eventually the owner got into the DJ booth to spin. Steadily but seamlessly a post dinner crowd had begun to pick up, people were dancing and laughing. Yes, the crowd was beautiful (I'm pretty sure the cocktail waitresses are amazons) but everyone was so friendly! We met quite a few new people. It felt like being at a private party that was very cool yet very inclusive and welcoming. The music was perfect- some 80s classics, nu-disco, eventually turning into groovier beats (and NO top 40 nonsense). We stayed a bit longer than intended....no regrets. Probably the most fun I've had in the Hamptons. Their website says it perfectly: Right tempo, right vibe. Thank you Jamo and the entire Harbor staff for a night we didn't expect and won't soon forget! We will be back!

Date of visit: June 2017