Review Highlights
Away from the busy southern beaches but can get crowded on weekends

Reviewed August 13, 2018

from US$19.00
More Info
from US$45.00
More Info
All reviews open fields dog walking nice picnic area year round allow dogs off season bike summer bay mosquitoes restrooms
Reviewed August 21, 2018 via mobile

Nice, quiet. Took a bike ride around the whole park. Beach, deer,birds, awesome! Playground for children. Clean.

Reviewed August 13, 2018

This is our regular go-to place for a job/walk or even to sit by the beach on field 7 and 8 or by the bay. We have been regulars for almost a year.

Overall, a good place for fitness and to be alone, if you are smart about it.

Huge park. some fields are more bust esp fields 2,3 and 6, 7.

Park your car in a field and then take the walking trail that goes for miles. Explore and you'll be surprised. Evenings are best for us; esp around sunset.

Lots of bugs and mosquitoes .. so wear/apply something to stay safe. Good for active folks who enjoy nature and do not mind paying a small price for it!

1  Thank BhriguPrashar
Reviewed July 31, 2018 via mobile

There’s ao much trash on the ground it’s like a giant landfill. It’s absolutely disgusting. Won’t go back.

1  Thank Sean C
Reviewed July 23, 2018

My family has enjoyed bicycling in Heckscher for over 30 years. There's nothing like the south shore breezes and views of Fire Island. Unfortunately, the roads (both inner and outer loops) desperately need to be FULLY paved (as opposed to patchwork). The bike path was a welcome addition but does not circle the park in unison with the roadways. My husband, an avid rider that clocks more than 12,000 miles/year, has fallen TWICE in Heckscher, one of which he shattered his collarbone resulting in 2 surgeries! Every year we are ever so hopeful that THIS will be the year that the roads get paved....only to be disappointed again and again. Mr. Cuomo, with so much press of upgrading our beautiful state parks, WHEN will it be Heckscher's turn?

2  Thank Dan R
Reviewed July 4, 2018 via mobile

This park is great, the beach was nice . Able to cook out , plenty of tables . Came here cause sunken meadows was packed. It was the best thing we did. Will definitely come here more this summer.

Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

Deer were fantastic to see. Beautiful & well kept park. Had good day with park employees who were very helpful. Security extra personable.

Reviewed June 17, 2018 via mobile

I have a dog and it seems a bit difficult to take your dog anywhere on this island. With that said I found online a list of parks that were pet friendly. Heckscher Park was the closest and I loaded the dog up and was on my way. Fortunately it was after 6pm so I didn’t have to pay the 8.00 entry fee. Upon entering the park and driving the entire circle there are signs that said no pets allowed everywhere. Before I got out of the car with my dog I investigated further and found dogs are not welcome on the main trail or at any of the fields and apparently not at the beaches. It states you are welcome to walk your pet in any of the undeveloped less crowded areas. I find this to be absurd and am glad I didn’t pay the fee. My dog honestly wanted to leave after about ten minutes anyway bc even she wasn’t impressed.

Most of the park is well manicured with beaches that are not suited for swimming. You could lay out and catch some sun or read a book and relax and there are plenty of open fields where you could do the same. I think it could be worth it bc any other beach on Long Island you’ll be paying double this entry fee to park and spend time on a beach but I guess it’s all in what you are looking for during your time on the beaches.

Lots of places to cook and play it appeared altho I didn’t engage in any of those activities. I’ll prob go back and explore more without my dog and I’ll leave an update with that experience.

Reviewed June 2, 2018

There was a time I believe when this small bay side park had at least the rudimentary facilities & attractions that warranted a nice family day outing for all.
But alas it has fallen to the way side. as pool area and camp grounds shut down and left to rot.
They are building new cabins,,,what for I don't know. With no pool, row boats rentals or any sort of activity other then staring at model air planes and occasional bike rider there's little to do. Are there nature bird walks? Fishing sites? Row boating? A well maintained dog walk/play area that is at least tick free? Anything here that makes a park a park? Or should we just go shopping for the day and return at night to be eaten alive by mosquitoes?
Any way, I do live local and often ride the bike trails as part of my cardio work out.

2  Thank nautilustwo
Reviewed May 14, 2018 via mobile

I must be missing something here ! First there is no camping . And it’s been closed for many years so I have no idea what previous reviews are talking about ! The parking lots that people talk about are never crowded and have not been since they closed the wonderful pool on the bayside ! One beach is all rocks and the other is for busses from the city . Other than that what beach ? I grew up here / this place is just a piece of land with bike paths . That’s it folks . It’s run down and it’s got amenities like camping and a pool but are closed for the foreseeable future . I did see where the model airplane guys got there own new parking lot at the rocky beach all to them selves . In the mean time no rest rooms until like July ! The deer population has been culled to next to nothing . So let’s recap a nice place for the state park police to hang out and do nothing - no camping - no pool - and one beach ( the second rocky beach is currently a private air field for amateur flyers . Go anywhere but here . And oh yes the dirty great South Bay is your bathing option . Summers are short go elsewhere !!

1  Thank fldsetter
Reviewed May 2, 2018

We went her for bicycling in the off season, and the bike paths were nice paved and varied from wooded areas to beachside, and through various other areas. There is a maze of roads going through it, and huge parking lots everywhere. So, during the summer this park is probably extremely overcrowded. There were picnic tables packed densely in to many areas too. The trails do NOT allow dogs except a wooded one that is on one edge that there was a sign saying they were permitted in that one area, and with signs around that warn of deer ticks. So, bring your repellent and protect your dog from ticks too! We did notice the lack of restrooms, so try to get a map of the park so you know where to go for them.