“Wedding pictures”

Heckscher State Park
Reviewed January 4, 2017 via mobile

Have been here many times since I was a kid. From school field days, to picnics, to walks along the beach. It's clean, it's quiet and it's Long Island. Took the bridal party to the beach for pictures on 1-1-17. It was a beautiful day and the photos came out great. Great treasure on Long Islands south shore.

1  Thank Karen S
"mosquitoes"
in 3 reviews
"restrooms"

Reviewed July 13, 2016

I'm biased, I know, but this was my childhood backyard. Growing up in the neighborhood, we always rode our bikes into the park, drove in as a family, and even learned to drive there -- it had everything we needed to learn how to drive without too much traffic to be intimidated by. "Let's go to Heckscher for coffee" was our favorite line as kids; when mom or dad said it to the other it meant playground for us! Bring your kids, bring your bikes, bring your bug spray (sometimes the mosquitoes can be annoying).

1  Thank Ed R
Reviewed June 18, 2016 via mobile

There are good and bad reviews for this park. I think part of that is because some people have the wrong expectations for this place. Let me help you.

If you want a nice beach to swim or take your kids for a family day at the beach you will most likely not like this park.

If you want to go somewhere where you can grill burgers or want some solitude on the sand to read and don't care about the water this will be good for you.

The beaches all have swimming prohibited signs. The beach is very narrow and mostly gravelly rocks. There is a lot and I mean a lot of seagrass washed up at the waters edge. There is also quite a bit of garbage washed up too. The water is pretty mucky as well.

When I went the place was mostly empty even though it was a warm sunny day. This is probably because people would rather go to a swimming beach.

Now you know

10  Thank Tradervic21
Reviewed April 18, 2016 via mobile

This use to be the Gem of the south shore , they have slowly abandoned this State park . As of this moment the pool is slated to be demolished one of the main reasons folks went here - 2nd the camping area has not been open since they shut it down some 6-8 years ago ? The beaches are Disgusting with sand that looks like it came from a rock quarry ! And yes folks they trucked this garbage in for your enjoyment . As of late something has been missing ,As if the above was not enough reason not to spend 8.00 to go there . The deer population seems have disappeared ??? This is suppose to be the home of the white tail Deer ? I have not seen one in my last 4 visits there to do my weekly check on the migrating osprey . Well there you have it . Unless you are looking for a rocky beach in the great South Bay or looking not to swim in a demolished pool or maybe you would like to camp out in a park which closed its camping area over 5 years ago , or maybe it's the non existent deer population your after . I really would like to know how the deer in the thousands just vanished ?????? Go any where but here !

6  Thank FLDSETTER