“Nice, but not for couples...”

Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ellenville
Long Island
“Nice, but not for couples...”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon. The landscape was nice but the exterior of the buildings looked very dated. Beautiful lobby. Nice staff at desk. Was told to drive around to side of buildings to get to our room - a bit confusing when looking for the correct side entry. Room was pretty large compared to regular hotel rooms. After settling in we decided to check the place out. Due to interior construction we could never find our way around. We actually had to go up a floor to walk around the work, then down again. We couldn't find the indoor pool area and then was told the easiest way was to walk outside to go back in to the pool. Thankfully it is a mild February. When we got there there were 100's of high school aged kids in the pool/hot tub area! They were kids from Brooklyn and the Bronx on their class trip! Not so romantic.
We went for dinner in the dinning room and the kids were there. They were pretty loud, but not too bad. They sat us toward the rear of the dinning room so it wasn't that bad at all. The food was suprisingly good for all the people they were cooking for. Buffet-style.
We hiked behind the resort and found the Nevele waterfall - spectacular. The grounds and lake were wonderful, as were the hiking trails.
We were told at the front desk that the high school kids were not allowed in the pool area at certain times, so we took advantage of that. The pool was warmer than most I've been in and the hot tub was excellent. The sauna was also the best I've been in.
Finally, the staff was very professional and nice. I wasn't thrilled when we inquired at the front desk about their advertised horseback riding and the young woman told us that WE had to call the stable to make an appointment - felt that she should've done it for us, instead of writing down the number on a piece of scrap paper, but NOT a big deal at all. We did ride for $40 ea. and it was great. Nice people at the stable.
Overall, this was a GREAT trip. It wasn't the romantic getaway we were hoping for, but it all turned-out well in the end.

Room Tip: If there are school trips there, ask for rooms away from them (which they did for us without asking...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DMBJD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
York
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We go here twice a year as part of a dance convention and I must say I look forward to it each time. The food is fantastic, our convention hosts buffets which are just delicious especially the shrimp and also the wontons :-)

The hotel has been refurbished in the last 2 years and I know they are still working on some rooms, the pool is lovely, so relaxing just laying in the hot tub.
The hotel has a golf course with a lake view in the mountains and has a perfect setting day and night. I always try and take a walk up to see the waterfall (not far at all) and take some time to breathe in the fresh air.

Staff are always smiling, helpful and courteous.

If you just want to get away to relax, sit and read a book, lay by the pool, maybe play golf or hike - this is the place for you. I can't wait to go back in April. :-)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rachael M
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Food is typical American; clean and safe building; very friendly staff; waterfall is definitely worth of walking up the hill; pull is OK; sauna is excellent. Overall, right place for a couple of days vacation in December/ January.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elvira B
Rotterdam, New York
Reviewed 2 January 2012

My best friend and I visited Honor's Haven for the Relax and Rejuvenation package with Chun Shim. Within a day of making our reservation, we received an e-mail from Chun asking what we were looking to get out of our stay. Chun then created a custom schedule for us ensuring that we enjoyed our visit as much as possible. We greatly enjoyed our time with her and she gave us a whole new way of looking at our lives. We are just hoping we can keep up with what she taught us...at least until we are able to get back for another visit.

The only improvement I could suggest is to have more meal choices that go along with the dietary recommendations that Chun made.

Room Tip: I know some of the other people commented on noise issues - I brought a sound machine with me (I use...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Kim D
Garrison, New York
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Our organization held its 11th Annual Convention at Honor's Haven. As the event organizer, I can state unequivocally that the staff, facilities, rooms and atmosphere helped make our event a success. We occupied over 100 rooms for two nights and received nothing but outstanding reviews from our particiants. The guest rooms were well-appointed, clean and fresh with all expected amenities. The food choices and preparation were excellent. Our group had fully plated dinners including four entree choices -- every menu included a vegan option too. The convention break-out rooms met our needs, and there was ample space in the main ballroom to accommodate our thirty exhibitors with booths around the perimeter.

The convention support staff at the hotel made this the easiest and smoothest event in our eleven years. They were always near and available to ensure all was functioning well. Group sales, reservations, front desk, convention support, kitchen, maintenance and accounting staff were all very professional. Many of our attendees used the spa and fitness facilities and reported their satisfaction.

Our Convention Planning Committee will definitely consider returning to Honor's Haven for future events. Congratulations to Honor's Haven on a job well-done.

4 Thank kudutld
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I had the best experience at Honor’s Haven Resort and Spa. From walking into the lobby to check out, everything was made simple here. Upon arriving at the Honor’s Haven Resort and Spa, I was greeted at the front desk and welcomed by the friendly staff. I felt at ease asking questions about the area, and had a wonderful experience thanks to the staff’s recommendations and suggestions. Getting to my room was a pleasant surprise. The room was bigger than it looked in the pictures I had seen. Everything was clean and orderly. One night of my stay and needed more towels, with just a simple phone call, the maid delivered the towels promptly. I loved the hotel, the amazing staff, and how neat my room was. They turned a mundane visit into a real vacation and I will definitely be back soon.

3 Thank Ashley T
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 14 November 2011

This was the worst hotel I have stayed at. First not all the staff speaks English. The conference rooms we had were small and cramped. Upon check out the hotel tried to charge us more than they quoted when we booked out hotel. We had a conference rate quoted to us for both the single and double occupancy. Upon check out we were told they ran out of rooms and we were upgraded....at our expense. Not our problem they ran out of rooms! There is nothing to do in the area. Food is expensive in area restuarants. The only good thing was they now do have coffee makers in the rooms depsite what some of the reviews state. This not the hotel's fault, but there was another conference being held whose attendees were less than considerate of others in the hotel. They ran, stomped and sang at the top of their lungs as they went down the hall. Not worth the stay!

10 Thank KleenTeeth
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
We are truly sorry that the Honor’s Haven did not meet your expectations during your recent visit. In regards to your bill, if you feel there could be an error on your bill, please contact me directly, I would love the opportunity to speak to you and review your charges and see if there was an error on our part so we can resolve it accordingly. Tanja Driever, (845) 210-3110. I look forward to hearing from you!

Travellers are raving about these Ellenville hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellenville
12.7 km away
Best Western Monticello
#1 of 3 in Monticello
13.6 km away
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa

Been to Honor's Haven Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!