“Biggest dump I have ever stayed in”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Elmira
Reviewed 21 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here because everything else in the area was booked full. The room was so dirty, disgusting, and gross that I went to Walmart late at night to get pillows and blankets. There was no way I was sleeping on their bed linens or using their pillows. The bed blanket had brown streaks that looked like feces. The room smelled horrible.The bathtub had severe scum buildup. There were dead bgs in the corners of the bathrrom and the floor was sticky. The toilet was dirty. We paid over $100 to spend the night here. I wouldn't even give the place enough credit to call it a low budget dump......based on our room, it should simply be bulldozed under.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tracy S
ankitshahny140, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the review. We are very sorry to hear that your stay at our facility was anything less than perfect. Feedback such as yours allows us to correct any and all issues that may have arisen during your stay. We would love for you to give us another try in the future to make your stay at our hotel a pleasurable one and to WOW you with our hospitality.

- Ankit Shah, General Manager.

Reviewed 17 August 2011

Ok. So first off you are in Elmira...or rather "Big Flats" not Paris.
The rooms on second floor are clean.. Tv is good and the air conditioner is brand new...and it sure worked well when it was 96f.
Staff are really nice and were quick to assist with directions. Breakfast is moatly carbs.. But ok.
Close to the Wally mart for your beer run and food. Rooms had fridges and coffee makers.
Order extra pillows!
Was decent for the price

Room Tip: 2nd floor is the best spot
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank travelcato
ankitshahny140, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent stay with our future travelers. We truly appreciate the time taken to share your experience. We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2011

Staff was pleasant enough and the breakfast was ok, but our room was pretty awful. It must not have been cleaned in a week or more. I could write "dust me" on the TV! We killed 2 spiders in the room: one crawling up from the shelf where my toiletry bag was and one coming down from the ceiling. There were about 10 squares of toilet paper left on the roll in the bathroom, and the shower curtain was stuck together with mold at the bottom. The bed itself was comfy, but there were tiny, flat pillows with it. For a king bed, there were 3 tiny pillows that did not even span the width of the bed; no shams, no extra pillows, nothing. The rate for this "economy" hotel was $109/night! Definitely NOT worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Mommu56

Thank you so much for your response and your kind words about out staff. I have forwarded the cleanliness comments over to our housekeeping department. I appreciate your honest and candid feedback. We strive to make sure all guests are 100% certain they will return. I appreciate you taking the time to bring this to my attention and I invite you back again to give us another chance to wow you with our hospitality!

Reviewed 5 August 2011

The hotel is somewhat in need of rennovations and rooms/carpets show some wear and tear. But, it's expected for a "budget hotel". Rates are higher than typical for an Econo Lodge due to high demand in this area, but still $40+ lower than those nearby.

My 2nd floor room (no elevator) was clean, equipped with fridge, coffee maker, microwave, and everything worked fine. The breakfast was great! It had the usual drinks, pastries and cold cereal, but also fruit, yogurt, make-your-own waffles with fruit topping, and hot biscuits, eggs, sausage and cheese. Apparently the hot menu items also change daily.

The staff members were fantastic... from night shift Chris, through day staff Dora, Ankit, and Laura these folks went out of their way to accomodate special assistance we needed while staying there and making us feel welcome and not a burden. I can't thank them enough. I'll stay again if in this area.

Room Tip: No elevator to second floor rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at hour hotel with others. Hosting guests is what we do best and it was a pleasure to host your stay. The staff looks forward to welcoming back again to Elmira area.

Reviewed 23 July 2011

Apparently due to the sudden and extreme influx of drilling crews to the Marcellus Shale area, hotel prices in Elmira have skyrocketed in recent years, this hotel included.

That said, this is a former medal winning hotel in the Choice chain (medals are awarded inside of each marque), and not too bad. I've stayed here about 40 times over the past decade and have only had one bad experience (about two years ago, but I give them a pass on it as it was the only room available in a one hour radius).

The rooms are clean enough, though the rooms on the second floor, with interior corridors, are definitely nicer. The hotel is easily accessible from I86/NY17, though the driveway in is in need of some pothole repair.

They generally have popcorn/cookies available in the afternoon evening, and the breakfast looks passable. The hotel is well situated with a small strip mall next door and plenty of places to eat, though they are all chains.

The staff can be hit or miss, never unfriendly, but occasionally inexplicably absent.

Wireless internet is available and decent.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your great review and the details of your stay. We appreciate your business and hope we will be able to host a stay for you again soon.

Thank you again for your review and taking valuable time to let us know about your stay.

Reviewed 8 July 2011

Based on the ranking, I expected a nicer motel. It's old and doesn't look like it has had much in the way of updates. In fact, not much in the way of maintenance. Torn wallpaper, chipped furniture, etc. But it was relatively cheap.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank pjce717

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the review. I have forwarded the conditional issues over to the operations team. I appreciate your honest and candid feedback.

Reviewed 17 June 2011

it's a shame because the area is around the hotel is perfect. great rates and location however i cant stay somewhere that is dirty or doesn't have things that work right. i had to stay twice in the last 2 weeks and do not want to stay there again unless i dont have a choice. both times the rooms were not cleaned properly, something broken, bugs in the linen, slow drain and in one case there was mold. if they just maintained the rooms better and cleaned well, this would be the perfect place to stay. it's hard enough staying away from home, my title sums it up.

Room Tip: 2nd floor better
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time to share the concerns about hour hotel. I have forwarded your comments over to our housekeeping and maintenance department. We strive to make sure all guests are 100% certain they will return. I appreciate you taking the time to bring it to my attention and I invite you back again to give us another chance to wow you with our hospitality!

Ankit Shah, General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmira
10.3 km away
Holiday Inn Elmira Riverview
1.2 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira)
3.4 km away
Comfort Inn
#3 of 6 in Corning
1.3 km away
Candlewood Suites Elmira Horseheads

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!