“3 starts though I'd say it is lower than average in terms of service and hospitality”

Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Elmsford
Reviewed 12 October 2017

I have to say that my arrival was great. That is the only reason this is not less than 3 stars. The arriving staff was very friendly. The complete opposite was what I experienced during my check out. I was not asked how my stay was, was given an almost blank reciept because it was printed on a printer with no ink, and was advised that printing it again would take time, as she had to log into the computer next to her. I insisted. The next person was spoken to quite differently, and was promptly asked how her stay was.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Danielle T, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. I am so very happy to hear your arrival was a great one. However, I would like to sincerely apologize for the service your received upon check out. Definitely contact us if there is anything we can do to alleviate the inconvenience you had here.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

Checking in was fine, and we were ok with the construction going on. There was no light at the entrance, and at night it was very easy to miss. Our room was never attended to. When I called the front desk to tell them we'd need new towels since housekeeping never did our room after the first night, and someone at the front desk assured my wife that they would do so while we were out that evening, we returned to find all that was done was the trash was emptied and one towel was left on the bed. The bed wasn't made, the bathroom not cleaned - basically nothing was done. What exactly were we paying for? Breakfast on Sunday was a mess. There was a school group whose members said they were supposed to have a separate breakfast area set up for their large group. This was not the case, and many guests waited over 1 HOUR to make a waffle! Ridiculous. I, myself, gave up after waiting in line for 1/2 hour. The staff should have taken steps to mitigate this problem. Upon checking out, the woman at the desk asked what the white in my beard was. I said, "Oh, just some grey hairs." Then she persisted, "No, no, there's something in your beard." So I had to ask my wife in front of other guests waiting to check out, which was kind of embarrassing. There was nothing in my beard. I would not stay at this hotel, or probably another Hampton Inn, again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2017

I only have them a 4/5 star because there construction was loud but they should have at least waited until after the morning to start. Woke me up at 8Am and the rooms need a microwave , too much work to have to go to the lobby everytime to heat up something

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Using the Hilton app, I checked in early and picked a room on the 7th floor (room 702) on the woods side so that I would not have highway noise. I specified a 3:00 pm arrival. I arrived at 2:55 pm and was told by the desk clerk that I had a room with a queen bed. The clerk then asked if a queen bed was ok. I asked if they had any kings and she said no, so I'm wondering why she even asked. She then told me that the room I had picked out was not ready. So we sat down and about 10 minutes later the clerk brought me a room key. Come to find out she put me on the 6th floor on the highway side! The clerk called me in that room about 5 minutes after I entered it and inquired if the room was satisfactory. I told her no that I wanted a room on the woods side. She agreed to let me return the key and that she would get me into the room I had previously reserved on the 7th floor. We then left for a couple of hours and when we returned the room was ready. During the night it started raining and we started hearing a drip in the bathroom. The roof was leaking and water was dripping out of the can light in the bathroom. We couldn't even use the toilet without getting wet from this. We called down to the front desk to report this and request another room but no one answered the phone. We checked out about 5 am and told the desk clerk about the problem. My wife asked for some sort of monetary compensation and the clerk said she couldn't do anything about it because she was just the night auditor. She said only the manager could do anything and that the manager wouldn't be in until 11 am. So much for the Hampton guarantee! I'm writing this 13 hours later and we have not heard anything from the manager!
Also, only 1 out of 2 elevators was in operation, and it was slow as molasses! I recommend you stay elsewhere!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank okiedent
Danielle T, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Hi,

I would like to sincerely apologize for all inconveniences you encountered during your stay here. I can assure you this is not Hampton Inn standard. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience so that we are able rectify this situation. Once again, we greatly apologize.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

I love the Hampton Inn brand. I recently stayed at the Elmford/Tarrytown location and believe they were outstanding in their performance, from the young lady at the front desk to the breakfast staff. Also, found the manager's special, popcorn and cookies, a nice surprise. This location is up on a hill so if you visit in the winter be careful, I am told they clean snow often during the winter months so you should be fine.

Stayed: September 2017
Danielle T, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Thank you very much for this wonderful review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time and our manager's reception that we have every Wednesday. You came on a great day!

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Two business trips in two weeks to this property. Here is my two cents...

1. The construction isn’t an issue at night or early am. If you plan to work from hotel during the day you might want to reconsider. Renovation is major and well needed.

2. The property is built into a hill. The parking lots are stacked and the walk down is steep. Look for the stairwell on your right (near the pool) if the ground is wet. Better safe than sorry.

3. Pick your room carefully. One side faces a noisy roadway; the other faces a hilly embankment. You want the latter. Go even numbers.

Overall very good business hotel. Good breakfast and lots of restaurants within a short drive. Great staff and comfortable beds.

Note to management - you know those “we’ve got you covered”signs in the bathroom. Well don’t kid yourself. Both stays I asked the front desk for shaving cream. Both times you were out. So much for that complimentary replacement.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank tokross
Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

Spent one night here end of September -
Exterior undergoing construction didn’t bother us. This was my first time in a hotel alone with my 8 and 3 year old. I asked for blankets - which were delivered and front desk was very friendly. Breakfast was very busy and being alone - I spent most of the time away - getting things for the kids. No help here even though I was the only one with a 3 year old that morning.
Two high chairs were present and food was really good. Room had a musty smell but everything was in working order though outdated. I would stay here again if the need arises.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank drsaloni
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmsford
1.7 km away
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Hawthorne
1.9 km away
La Quinta Inn & Suites White Plains - Elmsford

Been to Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown? Share your experiences!