“Went the extra mile!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Staines
Basildon, United Kingdom
“Went the extra mile!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights to make a trip to Thorpe Park that little more special. We were in for a treat indeed! I booked the hotel online at laterooms, seeing that they had an offer on the executive rooms.

Our stay was a delight from start to finish. On arrival we were shown to an executive room and given the code for use of the wifi (included in the price). We quickly realised that our room did not have a bath and rang reception to see if we could be moved to a room with one. We were moved right away to an equally amazing room with a wonderfully sized bath. The bed was fantastic - so big and comfortable and beautifully decorated with cushions and a throw.

The rooms are a great size with great facilities, we were able to watch our fave shows on a large flat screen TV in bed whilst eating a delicious Indian meal ordered via room service.

The staff are incredibly helpful and efficient and we felt they really went the extra mile to make sure our stay was as positive as possible.

Breakfast was very good also - not that we took full advantage due to being full of Indian food from the night before.

We would recommend this hotel for couples, it's perfect for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Horley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Arrived on Saturday 7 April 2012 for Easter weekend having purchased a very good deal of £154 for 2 nights b&b, chocolates and free bottle of wine in the room through Groupon as a very last minute getaway for partner and myself. Having checked in (very quickly) we arrived in our "executive room" which turned out to be a family room but we were very pleased with the size and style of the room - it seems that much upgrading has most probably taken place and is still in the process of being carried out. The room was very comfortable, although a little cold but this was soon overcome. Would hope that the upgrading will spill over into the bar and restaurant area. We dined at their Saffron restaurant on the Saturday evening and were disappointed - a lot more care could be taken over the presentation of the restaurant and the setting of the tables etc. The food was overspiced (being great lovers of Indian food, this was terribly off putting) but this is only our taste. The staff were very helpful at all times. The position of the hotel was excellent for the town and also for taking a walk along the banks of the River Thames, together with our visit to Windsor, Windsor Great Park and Hampton Court Palace. A small point but tissues in the bathroom would have been appreciated.

Room Tip: 212 - as said, this was a family room which would be very suitable for a family with young children
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Malmo, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Booked this hotel since the Staines Lodge was full. I thought I had the reservation confirmed by E-mail but apparently not so. I did get a room though since they had rooms available. Staff seemed a little bit tired but otherwise polite. I recommend calling them to make sure you have the reservation confirmed.

I have not stayed in any other hotels in Staines, but compared to London the the value for money is great. I paid 130 pounds per night (March 2012) incl taxes, internet, and English breakfast.

The English breakfast (a plate with eggs, beans, bacon, hashbrowns, toast) was fine, though the dining area was very basic. Breakfast buffet consisted of youghurt, cereal, coffee, orange juice, and that's about it. Get English breakfast included in the price or prepare to have breakfast elsewhere.

The room was slighly above average for this price range. Fairly quiet, adjustable climate control, small TV with limited selection of channels. Very comfortable bed. Clean bathroom, fairly spacious.

Wifi, which was included in the price, barely worked. It disconnected frequently or was out of service most of the time - I don't understand why it is so difficult to provide reasonable internet service in hotels.

No other services were available. Checkout was efficient.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stay here for business quite regularly, and I must say the rooms are of a high standard-though at 135 quid B&B they ought to be. The reception staff can be a little brusque in their attitude, and the bar area looks like it was drafted in from a Travel Lodge. It has all the atmosphere of Mars. (The Swan hotel opposite benefits from a Riverside Terrace and great restaurant).The breakfast is good, fry up well cooked and a good range of alternatives. Iron and board in all rooms.

Maesteg, Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I arrived late'ish on a Sunday evening, parked up in a very empty parking lot and then spent a couple of minutes looking for the entrance.

Once in, there was a very helpful young man at reception who after an initial hiccup looking for my booking, quickly checked me in and gave me my room key.

I had to ask which way to go and then off I went to find that I could not even get the key into the lock (this hotel uses the old fashioned solid 'real' keys to open and lock the rooms). So, back to the reception to get the right one. After a while, I was sent off to the bar to wait while they looked for one which would work.

Took about 5 minutes but then, success, and I was into my room.

The window appeared to look across a narrow gap to what appeared to be the door to the kitchen - certainly it sounded like it but, too be honest, it was not too intrusive.

The room is quite small and I would not have liked to spend more than 1 night in it but it has the basic necessities so that is ok.

The bed is quite soft, the bathroom is basic and clean and there is plenty of very hot water.

Against this, the walls of the room were filthy, full of dirty marks. This continued through to the passage walls as well.

The hotel offers free wireless but it is a waste of time trying to use it. I wanted to do some work and eventually gave up because it kept timing out. While checking out this morning, someone else came down and complained that they could not do anything either.

There is no bar food available and if you want to have anything without going into town, you have to eat in the hotel restaurant which serves Indian food. The food itself is very good and I would recommend it to anyone. The bar, however, is another story as I worked through a number of the beers listed on the menu before actually finding one in stock.

Many of the staff struggle with English which may make them seem a bit offish but allow for that and they are very helpful.

Breakfast is included and provides the basic. The hot portions are not laid out in a buffet and the very pleasant lady asks what you would like. Unfortunately, there is no menu to list what is available but I am sure that it will be the usual fare. I did not want cooked food this morning so all was well.

Can I recommend this hotel? I'm not sure. The dirty walls put me off as anyone with a bit of pride in their establishment would surely have them cleaned or repainted, the food is good but there is nothing else which would encourage me to return. I'm not even sure that it is good value for money.

3 Thank Anorak Ray
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

strange experience.nice clean room.but

the staff (what few there was) gave the
impression they didnt care if we stayed or not.we returned at 11pm.all was open but no staff to be seen.after 15mins a man appeared who spoke very little english and couldnt understand our order.the whole hotel stank of bleach..cant believe this is rated 2nd best in staines..average overall..but charging premier rates..will use the swan across
the road next time

• Stayed January 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Staines, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

We booked our wedding with the hotel earlier in January for our 25 guests and Kulpreet the manager was always at hand for our various additions to the event. Every single detail was taken into account and the day went without a single problem , the hotel was incredibly clean and tidy at all times and the staff were always friendly and willing to help.. The honeymoon suite that we stayed in was on par with a lot of 4-5 star places I have stayed at.

I would recommend this Hotel for anyone wanting lovely rooms at an affordable price and anyone hosting an event in their wedding room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staines
0.4 km away
140.4 km away
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#3 of 5 in Staines

Been to The Boleyn Hotel? Share your experiences!