“Beautiful Home”
other traveller has booked this property
View from the Deck Waterfront
Table Inside by Deck
Gas Stove
Living Room
Bathroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

craiglosu...
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Beautiful Home”
Reviewed July 24, 2018 for a stay in June 2018

Absolutely beautiful setting on the lake and extremely clean inside and out on the property. Had a very relaxing weekend. The house has everything you need to enjoy. No WiFi or TV but that’s not what we came to the lake to do anyway. David was very easy to reach with any questions and had no problems with anything. Highly recommend his home!!

29 Jul 2018
Kim and Craig,
Glad you had a nice week. Hope you'll make it back another time.
Joe D
Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina
“SAFETY ISSUES, SANITARY ISSUES, NO CABLE, WIFI, PHONE, TV or RADIO.”
Reviewed January 19, 2017 for a stay in August 2016
people found this review helpful

The location was absolutely beautiful! I met David at the property, he handed me a notebook with his rules, and instructions... before leaving me on my own to figure it out.

First I had to find the closet with the power and water in it. as you would guess it was in the middle bedroom where the kids would be staying. Then i had to turn the water pump on, then the water heater, then the fishtank heater in the toilet bowl... the beautiful sliding glass doors facing the lake were damaged from a break-in according to David, to the point that it was dangerous for children or adults for that matter to operate. there was a jagged hole in the door where the lock used to be. the broom stick in the track method is old school and appears to work unless you know the door can be lifted out of the track and removed entirely while you sleep.

the sun room was filled with deck furniture that had to stay dry or you would loose your deposit. and it was raining outside when I arrived. the deck itself had a slight moss covering that made it extremely slippery. my son-in-law actually fell when he turned to keep the baby (2 year old) from falling down the stairs, the gate had a latch on it that was broken.

we had a night visitor who I believe must have been a Raccoon who literally ate the lid on the trash can and strew the garbage all over the fenced yard.

since we were there to celebrate a family birthday at our family camp on the lake we didn't use the kitchen for anything more than storage for beverages and cereal for the 4 little girls in our group.

There was an old junk boat in the small circular drive way blocking half of it making it difficult to get in and out especially at night. there were several other kayaks, boats, and a canoe available each had additional price tags above the rental price of about $1500.00 for the week and an additional $400. deposit. which was more than the other camps we rented for the same week with comparable space and sleeping accommodations.

There was NO Phone, NO TV, NO Cable, NO WIFI, NO Stereo, and NO CELL SIGNAL. luckily we didn't have to call 911...

David made himself unavailable when we were scheduled to check out and instructed us to leave the keys on the counter which we did. about 100 miles into our 750 mile drive home my daughter (35) told me she had set a Styrofoam container of pasta (she intended to bring with us) in the microwave (to keep it away from the giant ants that had infested the kitchen) while we cleaned the house before leaving, vacuuming, wiping down the counters and fridge and cleaning the bathroom. I immediately sent David an email so he would check the microwave for the lost pasta dish rather than find it from the smell some time later.

On Wednesday 3 days after we left I received an email from David saying he found the pasta when he inspected the house today...and was disappointed with the condition the house was left in, he said there were some bread crumbs on a shelf in the fridge, a piece of cereal under a chair in the living room and he could tell the bathroom had been wiped down but was not cleaned as thoroughly as he thought it should have been... and he would be deducting $200.00 from my deposit to have the house cleaned. he stated to me that each renter cleans the house for the next renter, he doesn't hire out the cleaning and he certainly isn't going to do it himself.

I am still grossed out that the house wasn't cleaned before we arrived. I cant imaging that he did much inspecting before I arrived as he was sitting in the dark. I had to turn the power on myself after finding the breaker box in the kids room closet as per the manual.

we exchanged several emails about this and he sent me half of my deposit back. I have been so upset about this experience that it has taken me almost 6 months to actually write this review.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
9 Jun 2017
Please disregard this review and read any of the others. These renters left our home a mess when they left and I kept part of their security/cleaning deposit. I have only done that twice. They threatened to leave a nasty review if I didn't return their entire deposit, so apparently here it is. Needless to say, they will not be allowed back. -- Dave
RioAt40
Baltimore, Maryland
“Relaxing”
Reviewed August 10, 2015 for a stay in August 2015
person found this review helpful

We cannot begin to describe how wonderful this vacation rental was for us... If you need to *unwire* and decompress, this is your place... No TV, No telephone, No media, No interuptions... Just quiet, relaxing, time with your loved ones... Play cards and games... Swim in the clear mountain water... Paddle a canoe or kayak across the peaceful waters... You are less that 2hrs from the Adirondack Museum and within an hour of several excellent restaurants with a few just minutes away... Our landlords were very welcoming and we felt comfortable in their 2nd home... Please, enjoy this rental with our deepest recommendation... Regards, Connie & Johnny in Baltimore

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The property was right on the lakeshore... seriously, one could jump off the deck into the lake... that close!!
Liked least: While I did not miss TV, per se, I did miss access to TV News... but I'm a news junkie
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
9 Jun 2017
I just saw your review Connie and John. Thanks. Looking forward to seeing you again this year when you visit. -- Dave
Niskayuna, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2014 for a stay in August 2014

30 Aug 2014
Thanks Kim. We're glad you had a good time.
Tinton Falls, United States
Reviewed August 20, 2014 for a stay in July 2014

20 Aug 2014
I haven't been there, but there is skeet at the Pine Tree Rifle Club in Johnstown (~9 miles from the lake).
Florida and Virginia
Reviewed August 12, 2014 for a stay in August 2014

12 Aug 2014
Glad you enjoyed your stay. We'd love to have you stay with us again next year.
Rochester, NY
Reviewed July 9, 2014 for a stay in July 2014

12 Aug 2014
I'm not sure how this response got posted, but it is not for our home. Ours is a single family home on Caroga Lake. This review is for what sounds like a split cabin (rent one or both sides?) called Moose Cabin at Camp Garoga.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing