“Some Good but Mostly Not So Good”

Econo Lodge Hornell
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hornell
Reviewed 13 July 2016

I have lots to say about this place, but will try to keep it on point. I have stayed here several times over the past 10 years as I have family living in the area. I have never had a bad stay, but then again, I haven’t had a good stay either.

The pros are that the property is in a nice secluded location with lovely views of the mountains and it is very quiet and peaceful, plus they are pet friendly. The bed was comfy and the linens were clean. The hotel is within walking distance to a couple of restaurants. Those are about the only pros going for this place that could do SO MUCH MORE with this property.

Now for the cons which are many. First of all, I will advise you NOT to book through a third party such as Expedia, Travelocity, etc. as I did because if you have to cancel or change the reservation, not only will you incur a change fee, the hotel staff is baffled on how to handle such a request. It took me more than 3 phone calls to get credit for checking out one day early because the front desk clerk claimed she didn’t know how to process a credit. If true, this is totally inexcusable.

As for the room, ah, where to begin. The a/c was controlled by a wall unit, but whatever temperature you set it at, it didn’t make a difference in cooling the room, it stayed at the same temperature. The room itself needed MAJOR remodeling. There had been some type of repair done to the wall between the bed and the bathroom that was just left with the primer (white) paint coat without painting over the damaged wall area in the darker wall paint color. Why would maintenance/management leave the wall looking like that? I wish I had taken a picture to post. The bathroom was okay, but the water continuously leaked in the tub. Obviously, the room had not been checked prior to checking in a new guest or after the last guest as there were a few dead insect bodies under the bathroom sink. The place must not have been dusted in months if not years as there was a substantial amount of dust on the bottom footing of the dresser as well as a musty smell when you first walked in. As far as the few room amenities offered, such as plastic cups, had not been restocked when I checked in. Gordon Ramsey would have been in his glory critiquing this room for Hotel Hell if he had visited.

Wi-Fi was fast when it worked, but it didn’t work on two of the days I was there.

Daily housekeeping was lacking. On day two, the only thing done was towel replacement and the beds were made up. No vacuuming (very noticeable when one has a pet) done or plastic cup replacements. Day three, I had to request that housekeeping vacuum the carpet and replace the cups. Day four, I had to do the same.

Breakfast had been a tad bit upgraded since the last time I visited several years ago. Items now included a waffle maker, English muffins, bagels and bread for toasting. Previously, only doughnuts were available for breakfast.

It is apparent to me that the management of this hotel has not trained the staff and could also use some hotel management classes as this place needs some serious help.

The ONLY reason I would EVER stay here again is because I was traveling with my pet and it was the ONLY option available.

Room Tip: Ask for the "new" building, hopefully they are better than the older buildings.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 July 2016

An economical travel stop. Sure, it looks a bit worn and dowdy initially, but it also seems well managed and meets all the standards for this chain. We found the staff to be cordial and helpful, and we would certainly stay there again. Its rates sure beat most of the other local chain motels.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2016

This is a very old property that has a good rate if you are just looking for a place to "sleep" for the night but has not been maintained.
The lightning is very poor in the rooms, the carpet is old and dirty looking and the bathroom is a throwback to t he early 40s' at best.

The bed is not that comfortable and the pillows should be discarded.
The place needs some serious re-modeling.

Room Tip: Not sure if any of the rooms are better than the next.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2016

In a rural area of a rural region, you would expect something different. Definitely a place for people who are working around and need to stay a couple of days. Boring buildings. No imagination nor connection with the environment.
Common areas need a delicate taste or at least to be cleaned. Cans of beers, papers and cigarettes wastes in the yard.
The room was not clean either. Considering that the person in charge gave me the best room.... well, I don't want to imagine the others. The sheets seemed old, the towels didn't nice.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2015

I booked a room at this hotel because me and some friends were going on a benefit bike run called Rock 'N Roar out of Arkport Harley Davidson and it was going to be an all day event into the evening and we did not want to travel back home after dark on our motorcycles. This was a long run that took us into Pennsylvania and back into New York, ending with a party and band at the Maple City Bowl.

When we arrived back in Hornell after the run we all went to the Econo Lodge to check into our rooms at around 5:00 p.m.. The room I had checked into was uncomfortably hot and nasty smelling right from opening the door and walking in. My room was on the second floor of this hotel and had a sliding glass door that was ajar and I couldn't even get it closed enough to lock it. The chairs out on the little balcony were upside down and sideways and the balcony was a mess.

I walked into the bathroom in my room and flipped the light switch on and found brown feces water in the toilet bowl and almost vomited!!!! I should have went and reported right there and then and I could not believe that anyone would reserve a room and have to face something like this after checking in!!!!This room was so disgustingly filthy
that I did not want to stay there but there were no other rooms available in this hotel or any other hotel in Hornell!

I flushed the disgusting mess I discovered in the toilet bowl and a disgusting ring was there left behind in the toilet bowl so that mess in there had been there for quite some time. Now, the fact that this hotel knew that people were coming in for this benefit bike run and were going to be checking into their rooms and they did not have anyone checking these rooms for cleanliness or nothing.

On the back of my bathroom door, hanging on the towel hook was a filthy, disgusting towel that was all crusted over and yellow that again, had quite obviously been hanging there for quite some time.

Another one of the couples that was in my group of friends found a small packet of Philadelphia cream cheese under their bed sheets that was dated 2011. Now had they not discovered this before going to bed that night, they most likely would have laid on it and busted the packet open all over their bed sheets! Another one of the couples in our group could not get their air conditioner for that room working and the rooms were all so very hot and smelly!

This Econo Lodge in Hornell, New York has to be the most disgusting, filthy place and I cannot even believe that they are allowed to rent any of these rooms out to anyone!!! The place is filthy disgusting and I hope this review gets out there to warn other unsuspecting people that this place is the epitome of hotels any where and whatever you do, don't book a room at this hotel as it is disgusting and filthy!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2015

Once here I found splatter on one wall, wall paper coming off, black mold in the tub. From the walls in about 2 feet, the carpets were wet. It felt clammy the few days we were there I call this place the Bates Hotel!! A few days later I stayed at a Days Inn and for $20.00 more a night, this was beautiful! I'll forgo Econolodge and room at Days Inn from now on! I also have pictures if anyone does not believe what I say here.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2015

while I understand that this is a rural destination and wasn't expecting the hilton, I was disappointed that my daughter found a pair of dirt mens shorts in the bathroom which made it obvious that it hadn't been cleaned. More so the bigger issue was with my sisters reservation, she is handicap and requires a handicap accessible room and had asked specifically for one. The room she was given was not accessible at all and she needed assistance to get in the room even. The bathroom was unusable to her because of it's size and lack of grab bars. This was NOT ok for someone with cerebal palsey and confined to a wheel chair especially when the specific reservation was made months in advance....

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hornell
27.4 km away
6.7 km away
Days Inn Hornell NY
Days Inn Hornell NY
#3 of 4 in Hornell

Been to Econo Lodge Hornell? Share your experiences!