“Festival Weekend”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hunter
Kaatskill Mountain Club
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Hunter
GreenLeadersBronze level
Unadilla
“Festival Weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The good;
We have stayed at Kaatskill Mountain Club for the past three summers during the German Alps Festival and have always had a good time there. The family and, in particular the kids have enjoyed the outdoor heated pool and the two hot tubs. It is also lots of fun to sit around the camp fire at night and toast marshmallows. The bar is a friendly, clean place where kids are welcome to tag along. It is also fun to mingle with some of the band members that may show up in the bar. It is a good time and we always meet lots of friendly people there, guests as well as staff. The rooms have been consistantly clean although there are signs of wear. We enjoy the sauna and steam room as well. The fitness center looks adaquate although we did not use it. We also did not used the spa services. The hotel is never full during the German Alps weeked so that enhances the experience for me.

The intermediate:
I can't honestly say that $500.00 per weekend night for a two bedroom suite is the best value going but hey, it's the price you pay for the convenience of being able to walk to the festival grounds at the foot of the slope and drink lots of German beer and not have to worry about getting a DWI returning to your rooom. This is the first year they did not charge $10.00 per day for WiFi. It was free this year.

The bad:
On our last visit I found the King mattress in the main suite to be so hard that it put my back in spasm and was in pain for the entire stay. I called to ask if there was anything that could be done about this and, after checking with the manager was told there was not, that all the mattresses were the same. This did not happen on our previous two stays. I suspect the mattress was old and worn out accounting for the hardness of it. The last night, I slept on my wife's side which was not nearly as hard and also confirms my suspicion that the mattress was just worn out. The last time I had back pain from a hotel mattress, it was at a Super 8. I cannot imagine a quarter share owner tolerating such a mattress. For 500 a night, they had darn well plan on upgrading their mattresses more often. I complained yet again at checkout about the mattress hoping they would take the hint and offer a discount or some compensation for my incovenience. The lady apologized which was appreciated but not adaquate compensation.

A couple of pet peeves:
It would be nice if they would offer discount tickets to the festival considering the prices paid at the hotel. The resort is under the same ownership as the hotel. Another annoying thing is the special privilages given to family members of resort staff. We waited over an hour to get into the festaval grounds to reserve a good table to see the bands, only to find that the best tables had already been reserved by family members of staff. I would think being hotel guests would at least put us on a level playing field for festival access.

No, we will not be staying there this summer. We will see about next year.

As a footnote:
I got a good laugh at the review by the guest who acted surprised about being booted for being too rowdy at 2 AM! There are limits to even New Year's Eve revelry and I applaud the staff for advocating for the rights of the rest of their guest. It only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for the rest of us.

Room Tip: The slopeside(odd numbered rooms)overlook the pool area which is a plus if you have kids playing in...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank James F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
East Longmeadow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Just got back from a family weekend and the stay at this resort was great! We had a 3 bedroom suite with a pullout sofa, full kitchen and dining room. The unit was clean and comfortable with 7 adults and an infant. We are already talking about going back to do the more challenging Zipline located on the property and we would definitely stay at this resort again.
I would have given this a 5 star except for a few minor things. I would rate this a 4 1/2 star but it could easily be a 5 with a couple little updates.The mattress in the master suite wasn't all that great and felt a bit lumpy, We still slept fine and the rest of the family said their mattresses felt ok so it could be that we have older backs. The tv in the living room was a small older tv and not a flatscreen so watching the Bruins game on this wasn't an option. We went to the bar/restaurant downstairs for that and had a great time meeting people that were guests at the resort and locals as well. Also, the sleeper sofa cushions could use a repadding since we sank a little when we sat on them.
The staff was friendly and very helpful.
FYI-The weekend we chose in April was one of the slowest so be sure to check calenders for events and if you go for the "high adventure zipline", make sure you check to make sure that it will be open due to the ski lifts being closed. We still were able to do the regular canopy zipline. Fun!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Franny81
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012 via mobile

I did not have a good experence with his hotel. We came and unfortunately the skiing conditions were not very good. We would have cancelled but unfortunately you can only get a refund with 14 days notice. It rained on day 2 so skiing was not an option. I opted to take the kids to the pool and was told it didn't open till 2p which left us with nothing else to do but go home. We even tried to get a spa appointment and they couldn't accomodate us. For the amount we paid, we expected better service.

Stayed March 2012

Travellers are raving about these Hunter hotels

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

I had a good experience staying at the Kaatskill Mountain Club with friends when we came up for the womens snowboarding camp (which I HIGHLY recommend for all levels of female snowboarders!). I had limited interaction with staff, but everyone seemed pleasant.

We stayed in a deluxe studio (1 queen sized bed and 1 full sized pull out sofa mattress with a kitchen) and it was decently spacious. The kitchen had everything we needed and there was a DVD player for watching movies.

The rooms do have thin walls, so you can hear kids running upstairs, but if you live in an apartment in the city, you're probably used to it. Plus we were so tired from snowboarding all day we pretty much fell asleep immediately :)

The hot tubs were awesome, although they don't have much of a view considering they face the mountain. You pretty much look at a brick wall. There was also a fire pit which was great for roasting marshmallows (we brought a bag from home). It was also nice to have a bar at the hotel.

I would definitely stay here again, although it's definitely expensive for what it is. However, you do get the convenience of being able to walk to the slopes.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Verona, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Just got back from spending the weekend. We had a great time and the resort was great. The staff was very friendly and made sure the stay was great. We had a two bedroom and the rooms were very big and the living room/kitchen area was large and seated us all comfortably at the table. The pool is swim out so the kids loved swimming while it snowed. We had dinner and a breakfast at the restaurant. Dinner was very good and the price very reasonable...kids loved the pizza. I would skip the breakfast...better off eating at ski lodge or local diner.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Medford, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

My 1st time visiting the resort & my fiancé & I fell in love. I'll be back hopefully 1 more time this year!! With my bathing suit this time :-)

Room Tip: if you smoke, get a balcony. My fiancé smokes & had to go up & down elevator! And bring your...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Pinnacle Condos at Hunter Mtn this past weekend with two other couples. I have never been to Hunter before and it was a very pleasant experience. The facilities were excellent. In the day time it gets very crowded so if you plan on moving your car you more likely than not will lose your spot. The accommodations are very clean and the staff is very helpful. While the guys were skiing on the double blacks, us ladies tried to book an appt at the spa but they were booked. If you plan on getting a treatment it is definitely in your best interest to book in advance. Instead, we used the sauna, steam room and outdoor hot tubs which were very pleasant. Later on at night the whole group ventured over to the hottub and it was snowing outside -- very cool. (Just keep in mind that the spa/pool/hottub is in the main building, the Kaatskill Mtn Club. So if you are staying in the other condos, you can either drive over, walk, or take a shuttle. We did not eat at the restaurant onsite as many of the condos have a full kitchen.

They gave us a late check out with no issue. Very nice place. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because shuttle service stops at around 6 pm and the spa was booked. Our condo could have been a bit more modern but then again I believe they are individually owned so taste is at the discretion of said owner. Any questions, just ask!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
1.1 km away
9.7 km away
Xenia Resort
Xenia Resort
#5 of 6 in Hunter

Been to Kaatskill Mountain Club? Share your experiences!