All reviews gazebo room fire pit b bs hunter mountain pool table gourmet breakfast pancakes fresh fruit french toast beautiful antiques omelet thoroughly enjoyed our stay old friends every guest the main house my boyfriend new york
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My partner and I recently spent four nights at the Fairlawn Inn, Hunter Mountain on a skiing trip and were delighted with our choice to stay there. The Inn is lovely, the food is delicious and the service is of the HIGHEST quality!

The Inn is located in an excellent position in Hunter, within walking distance to Hunter Mountain and restaurants. It is a charming Victorian house, with decor to match and has a warm and welcoming feel to it. Our room, the 'Gazebo' room, was spacious and beautifully decorated in the Victorian style with a comfortable bed and lounge chair, a large bathroom and plenty of storage space.

There are many varying breakfast options and my partner and I managed to try numerous during our stay. Each and every option was delicious, perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. We were offered juice, tea/coffee, fresh baked pastries, fruit and a cooked meal with every breakfast. As well as breakfast there were complimentary snacks, soft drinks and hot beverages, to which you may help yourself throughout the day.

The service we received from the Inkeeper was exceptional from the moment I made inquiries to the moment the Innkeeper personally dropped us off at our bus stop after cooking us an extra early breakfast so we could catch our bus. We received a goody bag on arrival full of snacks and magazines as the Innkeeper knew we had had a long trip as well as additional goodies throughout our stay and for our bus ride home. Nothing was too much trouble and he continually ensured we were well looked after and went above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

This couple was a definite pleasure to have at the inn. From the moment of their arrival to the too soon departure, they were great. I learned some new things about Australia but most of all the warmth of the people that live there. Ashleigh and Jason were a great addition to the inn and I appreciate their commentary and business.

I hope they return often, though that would be quite a challenge from a distance perspective. Thanks again for making your stay easy and enjoyable for me, I enjoyed all the conversations and the Aussie perspective. Good luck with your wedding and have a fun, happy and prosperous marriage.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here a few weeks ago for 2 nights while my girlfriend and I skied at Hunter mountain. The location was great as the Inn is only a minute from the mountain. Also, the hospitality was great and so was the food. I would recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

We are happy this guest was comfortable and enjoyed their stay at the Fairlawn. We enjoyed having them and hope they return often.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Frankly, I don't know how this place has a 4.5 star rating, and this makes me question relying on Tripadvisor for my next destination, so I would give this place a generous 2 stars, and its pretty much a reiteration of what previous honest reviewers have said.

Pros:
- VERY close to Hunter mountain, and amazing views!
- the woman and young man who work there are very nice!
- breakfast is great! a choice of eggs, a goat cheese omelet, pancakes or waffle.

Cons
- the owner, Chuck, is a very uptight person!! I needed to give an exact arrival time, and when i called to say i will be late, it was initially no problem. However, when we got to the inn, we were informed that because we were not there at the initially promised time, and got there at 5 pm (a pretty reasonable check-in time), the inconvenience we caused will mean that we will having a dog in the next room. I was actually shocked that anyone would say anything like that, never mind a business owner, but this gave me a terrible first impression of the place. the dog did in fact bark, but that wasn't the problem, the problem was how he spoke to me and my family, and the insinuation that somehow we were not good guests or something, since we came two hours later. I honestly don't know why Chuck requires such a specific notice, because he sits home on his computer all day, as anyone staying there knows he is home all day long.....
- there are signs everywhere- telling you what to do, what not to do. i have included several pictures of this
- sure the house is unique, but its also very cluttered and things don't work properly. There is very little space to make yourself feel at home, as there is already a bunch of stuff everywhere, and most of it is not practically useful, like the outdated lamps inside the room basically provide no lighting whatsoever.
- the thermostat was locked up!! it was freezing inside the room, and for that kind of price, i would at least liked to have a little warmer room. when i approached chuck about it, i basically had to beg him to unlock the thermostat and move it two degrees higher. Unbelievable!
- the house smells. Sure, some may like it to smell like their grandma's house, but a little air freshener wouldn't kill anyone.
- breakfast coffee is terrible. for the price we paid to stay there, they could have at least not reused the coffee for our pot! And speaking of breakfast, there are not enough tables and chairs for everyone, so you may have to sit at some other part of the house, or wait till other people get up to get your breakfast, since they only serve it for an hour.
- the bed is EXTREMELY hard and uncomfortable! my and my boyfriend's neck hurt the next day!
- charged my mother an extra $40 per night to stay with us, but please tell me where that money went, because the only extra thing he had to do was make her an extra waffle in the morning, which was like what $7-8 at Ihop?

Basically, if you like to go to old smelly houses, be talked down to by the 'host' who also charges you > $200 for your experience, yes this place is for you. If you like to go to cozy, friendly inns or hotels, look elsewhere, we know we will.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank mfabisevich
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

First of all I apologize to this guest if her experience did not warrant the 4.5 stars that is a normal experience here at the inn. We have 66% of our reviews before this posting rating us Excellent and an additional 19% Very Good. I would ask that readers of this review read further reviews and see what is normal and customary at the Fairlawn.

Check- in times are flexible and she arrived in an appropriate time frame so her comment is unusual. She indicated that the dog in the next room was a consequence of a late check in. In reality it was a courtesy I extend to every guest staying in rooms that adjoin a visiting “friend” aka dog. We are very happily a dog friendly establishment. The room next door was incidentally one of the dog friendly rooms and I informed her about the dog so if there were any issues during their stay to contact me and I would address them. She did not indicate that there were any issues with the dog. She had originally booked that room but moved to another one to accommodate a third person that was added last minute.

I find her comment of me being on the computer all day funny as I work hard to insure that the inn is clean, updated and a great environment for guests. In addition, I shovel the snow, cook breakfast, clean rooms and maintain the house. If I am on the computer it is most probably me taking a reservation or checking email. On most occasions the inn is a one man show and hosting at the Fairlawn is like keeping up with a family of 18 when you are full. I happily had a busy holiday season.

The rooms are individually decorated with lamps for reading, comfortable chairs and updated annually. That room maybe a little more crowded as it has a daybed to accommodate the additional person. The thermostat is set on a universally acceptable 68 degrees and the covers are to insure every guests needs are considered since several rooms share them. I raised the temperature upon request and heard nothing more from the guest so I assumed she was happy. The notices she photographed are posted about our being a “green” establishment and are informative about that, and ask guests to participate.
The house does not smell (bad) as it is filled with scented candles for the holidays and impeccably clean. We made coffee especially strong for them on request as our normal coffee was too weak in their estimation. We tried to accommodate them as much as possible. The dining room has enough seating for all guests but tables on occasion must be shared.

The mattresses are Serta Perfect Sleepers and get rave reviews all the time so I am a little surprised at that comment of them being uncomfortable. The charge for the third guest in the room is standard at most establishments and was discussed with this guest prior to arrival in lieu of a second room. She also neglected to say that I baked some eastern European cookies that were a traditional Christmas cookie to give them on departure, since we had a similar heritage. We had several conversations during their visit so I was surprised at her commentary on this review.

We pride ourselves on our hospitality and are concerned that this guest did not feel that we met or exceeded their expectations. Historic Homes are what they are, charming, eccentric, cozy and comfortable and a great place to stay in lieu of cookie cutter chain hotels but it is not for everyone. Again I apologize to this guest for any inconvenience or perceived lack on our part.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

My fiancé and I decided on a last minute ski adventure this past weekend. We could not have been happier with our stay at The Fairlawn.

Because our plans were last minute, we were not able to find a sitter for our dog and were lucky enough to find an inn that could accommodate him. We stayed in a beautiful end unit room with fireplace and stunning Victorian wallpaper. It had enough space for us and the dog to be comfortable. Water pressure was great, especially for such an old home.

Chuck made us delicious breakfast of pancakes and omelette. He was very easy to talk to, and also quite gracious about our late check in.

Extremely close to Hunter mountain, we can't wait to stay here again. Thank you so much Chuck!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I decided on the spur of the moment to take a short trip to relax after a busy summer - I'm a nurse and had spent long hours filling in for others on vacation, and my husband's organization has its annual major fundraiser toward the end of August, with many hours going into the preparation. While I worked a 12 hour shift on Tuesday, my husband scoured the internet for some not-too-far-away ideas, and presented me with three or four options when I returned home. On Wednesday morning we took off for Hunter, NY, destination the Fairlawn Inn, and we are so glad we did.

Despite living in NY all our lives, this particular part of the Catskills was new to both of us. The natural beauty of the area was stunning, and the Fairlawn Inn was an incredible bonus to our trip. A gorgeously restored building, with meticulous attention obviously given to decorating details, and yet ecologically conscious as well, with obvious thought given to limiting waste. We stayed in the Willow room, which had a wonderfully restful covered patio with comfy wicker lounges right outside the door on the second floor balcony; we are both avid readers and it was a perfect spot to relax and read. Or nap!

Chuck proved to be a very thoughtful innkeeper who made us feel very much at home, with many good suggestions for things to do and places to eat in the area. Breakfast of course was at the Inn, and it was beyond compare. We prefer to stay in B&Bs when travelling if possible, and this was easily the best breakfast we have ever had at a B&B. We only stayed two nights, wishing it could have been longer, and are already thinking about planning a return trip to explore all the area has to offer, and possibly during ski season as well! A very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Room Tip: We were able to view a number of rooms as we were the only guests while there, they are all equally beautiful, my suggestion would be to tell the innkeeper what you're looking for in a room and he will make a recommendation based on what's available. Worked for us.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple