All reviews gazebo room fire pit b bs omelet hunter mountain pool table gourmet breakfast pancakes french toast fresh fruit claw foot tub the main house beautiful antiques old victorian thoroughly enjoyed our stay old friends every guest
Reviewed August 31, 2017

My review will focus a bit more on the Inn itself. My husband has already addressed the issues with Chuck in his review so I won't address that in mine. The Inn itself is a beautiful old Victorian House with many lovely pieces of antique furniture, pictures, etc. We stayed in the Gazebo room which, as my husband mentioned, is in the front of the house so it faces the street which is definitely noisy. I would have chosen a different room had I known that in advance. There were other rooms available when we were there and I had the chance to look at them as well. They were nicely appointed and everything was very clean. There was a smell in our room which I still don't know what it was. I have to mention that the bath/shower was very nice. A claw-foot tub with a big shower head and also, a handheld shower head which is nice. The water pressure was great in the shower and got nice and hot. I'm not sure what they wash their towels in but the towels were very soft and nice. Chuck uses excellent products in the bath as well. Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner as well as a peppermint body wash which smells great and invigorating. There is definitely attention to detail in all of the rooms. The breakfasts each day were also very good. Chuck is a good cook and the presentation was very nice. Fresh fruit every day plus a choice of various breakfasts off of a set menu for the day along with a nice banana raisin bread or some type of cinnamon roll, etc. As my husband mentioned, there is a lounge type room with a TV and a bar that has different snacks, chips, popcorn, cookies, apples plus a small fridge with different drinks. This is also very nice. The grounds of the property were beautifully manicured and decorated with a nice patio with tables, umbrellas and chairs near a pretty pond with a little waterfall and a few fish in it. There is also a nice fire-pit in the middle of the patio that we saw being used one night. It's a very relaxing atmosphere sitting outside and looking at the mountain or watching the birds and wildlife.
Despite the issues that occurred during our stay, the Inn is a lovely place and nice for a little getaway. I believe that Chuck has a lot on his mind due to his desire to sell this Inn and move on. I'm not discounting the things that were said before and during our stay. I just chose to focus more on the Inn itself.

Room tip: Check out a room that isn't right in the front of the house because of the street noise
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Charles T, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to review the inn and offer your commentary it does reflect our attention to detail and concern for our guests. We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your positive experience here.

I am in the rooms daily and have not experienced an odd odor in the Gazebo room. I will continue to check to insure it, like every room in the inn smells fresh and clean.

Again thanks for addressing your stay in a more positive manner. If you had called us directly we could have discussed room options and steered you to a quieter room. The Gazebo room is hands down the most popular room in the inn, the bed surrounded by windows and with gorgeous mountain views. It is on the front of the house - main street but nighttime traffic is minimal but we do have quieter rooms.

Reviewed August 17, 2017 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise the Fairlawn Inn turned out to be. This beautifully decorated historic inn set on gorgeously landscaped grounds was just what this stressed out, overworked couple needed. There were so many outdoor spaces, to, to relax and enjoy the mountain views -- an upstairs gazebo, charming front porch and lovely patio equipped with a fire pit. Chuck, the innkeeper, was fabulous and his breakfasts are legendary!

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Charles T, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2017

I like legendary... we appreciate you taking time to review us and thank you for your commentary. Come see us again soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2017

We had a wonderful experience at the Fairlawn Inn. Our innkeeper, Chuck, was exceptionally accommodating. We knew we would be arriving late for check-in and he made sure to let us know where to find our keys to easily let ourselves in. Breakfasts are delicious and filling, including fresh fruit and home baked goods. Chuck is a font of knowledge of the area and was always willing to share tips on the best sights to see and best places to eat. Our room was cozy, wonderfully appointed, with an abundant supply of hot water for baths and showers after days of exploring the Catskills. The garden is in full bloom in August and so peaceful to just sit, relax, and soak up the views of the looming mountains. I would definitely recommend the Fairlawn Inn for any visitor looking to spend a few days in the Catskills of Greene County.

Room tip: The Opal Room was perfect for a family of three.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Charles T, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2017

Thank you for your review and commentary. We are glad to have provided a comfortable atmosphere within which to explore the area. We live in a beautiful area with many fine places to visit, restaurants to enjoy. We hope to see you again soon and thanks for the glowing commentary.

Reviewed August 5, 2017

The Fairlawn Inn is an immaculate, charming Victorian inn with a beautifully decorated interior. A dash of whimsy makes it warm and inviting. The gardens are absolutely gorgeous, providing a place to sit and relax. Due to the weather during our visit, we enjoyed time on the second floor porch gazebo, which was private and quiet. The evening lighting is magical. Our Gazebo Room had a nice view of the mountain and was furnished with soft, luxe bed linens and fragrant bath towels. I was greeted with a thoughtful birthday surprise from the innkeeper.

Every breakfast was delicious, especially the stuffed french toast. The details in the presentation including fresh berries and homemade whipped cream were delightful. You will not need lunch.

The greatest gem was Chuck, the innkeeper. In addition to his vast wealth of knowledge, he was personable, entertaining, and a sincere host. You will not meet anyone who works so diligently to exceed the expectations of all his guests. Jim is a gracious host as well. We have stayed at numerous B&Bs and have certainly met cordial and informative innkeepers, but exactly that, just cordial and informative. Yes, Chuck is a gem, a rare find. Do not miss the experience of the Fairlawn Inn. We highly recommend it, you will not be disappointed.

For vintage hunters, do not miss the antique store across the street or the church thrift shop.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Charles T, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2017

Wow... thanks for the glowing report of your stay. We make every effort to please guests and in your case it was easy. You too were a bright spot in the stay with us. Guests like you make our choice of career a good one. If in your neck of the woods we will definitely touch base before our visit. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon, either here or in PA.....

Reviewed July 31, 2017

My stay was mid-week in late July and we had the whole house to ourselves. The hosts were welcoming, accommodating, and just plain fun to talk to. As all guests, we had access to a pool table, snacks, drinks, local restaurant suggestions and a stunning garden. I only wish there had been more interesting places within walking distance of the inn to make the night we stayed there perfect.

Room tip: Three rooms we saw had amazing claw foot tubs. Try and get one of these if you like a long soak.
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Charles T, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2017

Thanks for the compliments and we hope to see you again. I also wish we had more within walking distance but have many many things in the surrounding area to offset that. Kaaterskill Falls, North South Lake State park and much more. The inn is in a beautiful area, in the shadow of Hunter Mountain and again still lots to do if you are not walking.